Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • High up views next to car park – for disabled access
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Head to North Wales and just take a drive. You can’t open your eyes without seeing amazing views. We drove up to this spot 52.812321, -4.056795 between Barmouth and Harlech, it was pretty cool.

There’s also places like Gospel Pass in the Black Mountains 52.009998, -3.115517 – the ground is pretty smooth grass there so you could get out and walk away from the car with a couple of chairs and a flask of something warm (or picnic, depending on season!), and even the Bwlch at the top of the Afan Valley here 52.812321, -4.056795 but it’s more of a layby than a place to chill out.

sadmadalan

A few ‘down South’ Top of Butser hill, just off the A3 outside Portsmouth. And a flat road along the ridge. Also Devils Punch Bowl (Hindhead) great views for somewhere only just outside London.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Summit of Hillside near Gwaenysgor/Prestatyn that hits ~33% has car park right there.

slowoldman

Top of Hard Knott Pass.I sometimes used to have a breakfast stop up there on my way to Sellafield.

Northwind

Some of the best (and most instagrammed) views in the UK can be had from car parks on the A82. They mostly don’t feel that high up, because you’re already high but the mountains are higher. But they’re still stunning. Every layby from Tyndrum to Onich has an amazing view, I drove back from Kinlochleven one year in the snow and it took me about 6 hours because I could hardly bear to drive past anything.

Snowdon by the little train has to be worth a go?

DickBarton

The dogging car park at the top of the Tak Ma Doon road above Kilsyth. Car park and some scenery (don’t really even need to leave the car)

Dogging doesn’t seem to happen during the day time there…

Along the hillside there is the car park on the Crow Road overlooking Lennoxtown as well.

Not breathtaking views but certainly scenic.

Freester

Portland Heights and admire the view of Weymouth / Chesil Beach. Then jump in the car drive the coast road to Abbotsbury and up Abbotsbury Hill. Pull over in the layby at the top get an ice cream and admire the view back to Portland.

RustySpanner

The Singing Ringing Tree at Crown Point in Burnley has some nice views and is a lovely bit of public art as well.

Couple of hundred yards walk from the car park to the sculpture.

Worth a visit.

matt_outandabout

Glen Ogle – both sides of the road, but the old railway to viaduct is wheelchair friendly.

Ben Lawers road over to Bridge of Balgie – stop at various places for a stunning view. Back from Ben Lawers road by going up to Lyon Dam and over the (rough but passable) Hydro Board private road to Glen Dochart. Again, lots of great vistas and views.

Queens View above Rimmel. A cheeky stop on the Gary Bridge would work – there was a very elderly couple up there this week doing just that.

Loch Turret dam car park above Crieff.

Glenshee ski centre – not that glamorous, but a good cuppa with a view.

Rattagan Pass and take the wee ferry to Skye.

richardk
    Free Member

If there aren’t too many doggers in the way, then the car park at the top of Birdlip (known as Barrow Wake) has beautiful views of Gloucester and North to the Malverns

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8379805,-2.1002394,3a,75y,284.07h,81.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPdeGjn9_BAY79cwlz15wiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mr Kimmerage Dorset. I think Steeple. Views to the sea and I’ve the downs. It is just a car pack / bit of grass.
    You can then head down to Kimmerage and pay for parking with a catering van and loos and a different view but not as good imo.

HughStew

Excellent thread. I’m in similar position, can’t walk more that 100m on the flat, no distance on loose or steep paths, so have marked thos thread as a “favourite”.
    Feeling foolish now for not accessing the STW hive mind before.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Edinburgh Castle Esplanade.
    Calton Hill
    Beecraigs visitor centre, some great views over the Firth of Forth
    Car park just below Cairnpapple radio tower, Bathgate to Linlithgow road
    Stirling Castle
    If you wanted to be cheeky and had a 4wd the telecomms site at Knockhill racing circuit Fife.
    Crow Road Lennoxtown

mrsheen
    Free Member

There’s a few laybys on the A5 in Snowdonia near Ogwens Cottage which aren’t high up per say but not a bad place for views and the odd military low flying jet.

Near A5, Betws-y-Coed LL24 0EU
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/eo3m1rjrJKwir2NA8

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘High up views next to car park – for disabled access’ is closed to new replies.