Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • High street shops of yore
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I was watching The Mad Death last night. A 1980s mini series about an outbreak of rabies in Scotland. There was a cracking scene where a rabid German Shepherd got into a shopping centre. The chief vet and an army sniper were driving a Landy through the mall in pursuit of the dog.

What I also enjoyed was seeing all the old stores and realising how many have gone under since.

They drove past Stead & Simpson, Saxone, Hepworths, Fine Fare, Fosters, John Menzies and more. There was also a lady carrying a Presto carrier bag.

What shops do you remember from your youth that are no longer with us?

IHN

Freeman Hardy Willis

PiknMix
    Free Member

Stead & Simpson are still going 😉

c&a and Lewis’s are the big ones missing round here. I was going to say the sweater shop but they have just started up retail operations again.
    Also Athena, gosh my bedroom walls were devoid of posters after that place closed.

I miss getting my user name from Woolies too.

MSP

Rumbelows.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Comet

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Beejam, why did they sell loose cereal in those clear tubes so you could fill your own bag like dog treats in pets at home.

Bewise, intersports

Harry_the_Spider

NSS
    John Menzies
    Our Price
    Beatties (I miss Beatties)
    Wimpy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C&A are sorely missed. Where else does one go these days for cheap, orsumnezzz in ski clothing?

Our Price records

C&A are sorely missed

I believ C&A are still quite popular in France?

atlaz
    Free Member

I was watching The Mad Death last night.

I remember watching that with my mum when I was a kid.

ninfan
    Free Member

Kwik Save

And let us not forget Netto – The baked bean war of ’94 😆

weare138
    Free Member

Preedy
    Radio Rentals
    National Milk Bar

kcal

Glens, Robertsons, Hutchison & Stepek (or something like that). (vaguely recall electrical hardware chain).
    Slater Hogg & Howison (again, annoying TV adverts)
    Are R S McColls still going?

all the offies – Victoria Wine, Thresher.. &c

worked in Fine Fare (Coopers) on Thursday & Friday evenings, Saturdays.

BillMC

Beejams got rebadged to Iceland. Mr Byrite for gentlemen’s tailoring, Lyons coffee house, Charrington’s brewery.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Victor Value.

ninfan
    Free Member

Oh, Midland Bank – everyone at school with griffin saver school bags 😀

Imagine what it will be like for our kids – “eeh, do you remember British Heart Foundation! ooh, what about Oxfam, and where did all the Sue Ryder shops go?”

derek_starship
    Free Member

NSS in Manchester’s Arndale Centre had Atari Battlezone which was awesome.

I got told off in there one Saturday as I was thumbing through Mayfair at about 14 y.o. I had to shuffle out with a semi-on!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Walter Wilsons

binners

As a fan of so-bad-its-quite-good logo design, I miss Presto

I also admired Fine Fares minimalist approach to packaging design. Combining the much under-utilised bright yellow colour scheme with MASH era US Military style typography

Makes Tesco basics look needlessly faffy and fussy 😀

grtdkad

Maynard’s sweet shops.
    Wm Low.

+1 for Beatties

BoardinBob

Goldbergs
    Tandy
    What Everyone Wants

ThePinkster

Mac Markets
    &
    KwikSave

C&A are alive & well in Belgium & France. They also used to do some quite good cheap cycling gear as well as the skiwear. Ir never sold really well though so I used to be able t opick up a few bargains in their end of season sale at the Corporation Street (Brum) branch, followed by a feed in the massive Wimpy across the road

binners

This combines 2 much missed 80’s classics. Mr Wimpy and ZX Spectrums

gogg
    Free Member

I’ sure I’ve been to a Wimpy on the Motorway in the last couple of years…

BoardinBob

Mr Wimpy

Was down in Nottingham last year and discovered they still have a Wimpy inside some horrendous shopping mall. Not surprising really. Nottingham’s the kind of place the local cinema is showing Lethal Weapon and all the locals come out afterwards saying they should make a sequel.

cheers_drive

Beejam, why did they sell loose cereal in those clear tubes so you could fill your own bag like dog treats in pets at home.

Did Beejam not become Iceland? Lots of healthfood shops still use those tubes for cereals and grains.

Presto>Safeway>Morrisons?

I remember Dewhurst the Butchers – mainly because a couple of my friends were bindo callers and vouchers for Dewhurst the Butchers were one of the main prizes.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a Wimpy in Horsham still, walked pasted yesterday, it looked rank.

For some reason I was reminded of the clothing shop Quality Seconds (later QS) this morning.

Is Mothercare still around!?

Menzies is a good one, forgotten them! Every large station had one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What about Stolen From Ivor? I used to get my “pulling gear” from them on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, Olympus Sports.

Sandwich

Rumbelows, purveyor of rented TV’s

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

RoterStern
    Free Member

C&A still going strong in Germany, too! Actually I used to help out in a community project (basically it was a council funded gig venue) and the guy in charge was a senior CND member and well known historian. C&A offered some sponsorship money which he refused on the grounds that they were Nazi sympathizers during the war! 😯

Gateway!!!! I used to work there while I was at school. Slave labour camp 👿

cheers_drive

Olympus sports is a good one
    Do we still have InterSport in the UK?

Who remembers Texas Tom?

RoterStern
    Free Member

sandwicheater

Remember my first C&A ski gear fondly. Was still rocking it 10 years later (I did eventually grow into it).

Harry the Spider, Wimpy is still going. Passed one in Huddersfield the other day.

PiknMix
    Free Member

[Timewarp] We still have a Dewhurst butchers in Leicester. There are still Wimpys in the midlands too. [/timewarp]

cheekyboy
    Free Member

What about Stolen From Ivor? I used to get my “pulling gear” from them on a Saturday afternoon.

Remember the Stolen From Ivor near the escalators above the Underground Market in Manchester ?

They sold genuine Ben Sherman botton down shirts !

shotsaway
    Free Member

Ratners
    Index
    Woolworths

Harry_the_Spider

Remember the Stolen From Ivor near the escalators above the Underground Market in Manchester ?

Oh yes. Followed by a trip to Bostock’s Records then a go in the Star Wars machine in Hazel’s.

grum
    Free Member

Wow I remember a Stolen From Ivor in Preston. Didn’t realise it was a chain!

konabunny
    Free Member

There are tons of Wimpys in South Africa – Woollies too. Woollies in Australia as well. But actually I think the us UK australian South African woollies were all totally separate companies.

As a fan of so-bad-its-quite-good logo design, I miss Presto

So it would be fair to say that you were impressed, you were impressed, you were impressed by Presto?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘High street shops of yore’ is closed to new replies.