Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • High street descent under Ill Bell down Hagg gill how technical?
  • Premier Icon hutchweb
    Subscriber

Am staying at Brothers Water in May and was planning on doing High Street via Hartsop and Hayeswater then descending Hagg Gill and returning over Kirkstone pass. But I can’t find any reference to anyone going down Hagg Gill, can anyone enlighten me please, is it doable?

sarawak

Hagg Gill used to be fine. It’s a few years since I was on it but never had any problems with it. It is the old Roman Road, and was nicely contoured into the fell side. Popular with walkers though.

You do know that your way up will involve a lot of pushing?

carlos

In the dry its a quick grass off camber in places descent, in the wet its just the same but a bit less traction😉

As above, your way up is a lot of hike a bike for one descent

carlos

Have you considered Kirkstone Pass to Troutbeck, up Garburn, I’ll Bell, Foswick, High Street Monument, High Street, The Knott, Angle Tarn, Boredale Haus, Kirkstone Pass back?

Premier Icon hutchweb
    Subscriber

Thanks for the suggestion, I have walked angle tarn and see it as a footpath on OS. Is it a cycle route as well? It is a nice trail.

carlos

Yes it’s a FP but never had any issues when we’ve ridden it. More so that the walkers are surprised you can actually ride down it on a bike.

Each to their own, but k think it’s great, Bit of a shame Boredale Haus BW has been tamed with the pitching though

bigfoot

the descent down from angle tarn is a really good one, infact the whole path to and from angle tarn is good. and as above we’ve never had any problems when riding it. an option from boredale haus that we did last time was a push up and ride over place fell and then back along the lake shore. theres some good bits on the first half of the descent from place fell.
    maybe a bit much if you take in going up garburn as well.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Carlos’s suggestion gets my vote. Much more reward for your efforts – smiles per mile!
    I was looking at High Street yesterday from a neighbouring fell and other than being up high, it is an unremarkable rolling grassy ridge and awful when wet. There is always a better option than High Street.

sarawak

back along the lake shore

A good route, but narrow and full of trippers. Best avoided at weekends and school holiday times.

bigfoot

yea, definatly not for busy times, winter weekends are usually ok which is when we normally ride it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.