High Roller LUST Alternative?

Home Forum Bike Forum High Roller LUST Alternative?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • High Roller LUST Alternative?
  • goatster

Conti rubber queens and shwalbe Hans dampf…

zelak999

I slashed open another High Roller LUST last night, second one in about 3 months.
    Came to the conclusion they are too soft.
    So I’m looking for a replacement with the same sort of multi purpose grip and rolling speed.
    Any recommends?
    I don’t want anything that rolls sloooooooow and needs to be tubeless.
    Cheers!

zelak999

Are the Hans Dampfs fast rolling?

chris_db

HD not the fastest nor the slowest, I love them for their predictable control and the Pacestar version wears well.

C

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Kenda Nevegal UST?

Kenda seem to use really thick sidewalls on their UST tyres as a result they aren’t light but they are very tough, bit limited in the choice of sizes though

Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf UST. Are they not basically the same tyre with just different compounds and sizes?

Anyway I have a UST Nobby Nic 2.2″ and its a pretty decent tyre

d45yth

Kenda Nevegal UST?

Have they started making their UST tyres out of rubber again? The last ones I had seemed to be made out of plastic! They were lethal!

chris_db

Nobby Nic and HD are not the same tyre.

Much prefer the grip of the HD, never got on with NNs in corners.

C

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I really like my nevegals but the UST ones I had were awful, plasticky and greasy. (otoh I’ve used standard ones tubeless for years very happily)

Obvious alternative is the Butcher Control… In 2.3 it’s the size of a 2.5 Highroller, but lighter than a 2.35 LUST. More Miniony than Highrollery but they can both do the same jobs. Tubeless ready rather than UST but who uses LUST without sealant? Grips almost as well as a supertacky (better a lot of the time, but not as good on wet rocks etc), rolls almost as well as a maxxpro, and pretty durable to boot.

I may be a little bit of a fanboi… It’s not a very fair comparison tbh, the Highroller’s an ancient design now so no wonder something years newer can do the job better.

wrecker
    Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

I hope Spec use a different carcass for the Butcher than they do for the Captain S-works. My Captains S-work 2-bliss versions had fragile sidewalls.

zelak999

Mmmm might try the HDs though I’m slowly filling my garage with tyres that I’ve tried but don’t quite match the rollability of the HR.
    Which HDs roll better? The pace star or the trail star compounds?
    The HR ii link is interesting. I’ve used a HR ii on the front with a rear HR, but with tubes and loved the predictability even though they are heavyweight.

GolfChick

wish the HR ii would hurry up and be released the OH is refusing to go out on his bike before said tyres come into stock somewhere!

zelak999

Next day tyres are quoting June for the TR versions of the HR ii!

waldo1

A lot of people seem to hate kenda surprises but I’ve found the tubeless dual compound ones amazing. Only problem is that they’re a 1000gs each.
    I changed to hans dampf and I’m not impressed. Can’t find a pressure i’m happy with them. Too high and they’re skittish, too low and they’re folding over on me (plus they’re now torn to pieces). Good weight though, hence the week side walls.
    Tyres seen to have the same issues add everything else in biking. … it’s a compromise.

zangolin

I hope Spec use a different carcass for the Butcher than they do for the Captain S-works. My Captains S-work 2-bliss versions had fragile sidewalls.

Yes – control sidewalls on the Butcher – thicker than the S-Work carcass which is really more for your xc racer types. You want the Captain Control – same dual compound just a bit thicker on the carcass.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

jairaj – Member

I hope Spec use a different carcass for the Butcher than they do for the Captain S-works.

Yeah- Sworks is their raceday xc series. Control is their more durable everyday tubeless tyre (though, worth mentioning that the bigger the Control, the tougher the tyre, it’s not just as simple as them all having the same sidewalls or similiar- the Captain Control is less durable than the Butcher Control.

There’s a Butcher SX as well if you want tougher, which is basically ply-and-a-half, I used them for the endurance dh at fort william and a week in the alps last year and they were bang on, but harder work.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Maxxis exo sidewalls. Not ust but seem fine tubeless. Running ardents here

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘High Roller LUST Alternative?’ is closed to new replies.