• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • High rise bars – what’s out there?
  • kayak23

Sup.

I built up a bike for my sister who has issues with arthritis and says that the bars are putting excess weight on her hands as they are relatively flat.

It’s a Pinnacle hybrid type bike and has something like 25mm rise mtb bars on it.

I’ve been looking around for something with a decent rise but not really gotten anywhere.

I’m not quite after ape-hangers but most stuff I’ve seen only goes up to about 35mm rise.

I’m thinking about 50mm upwards might be good to try and there are a couple of options I’ve seen out there but they tend to be upwards of £60 odd, which is a bit tasty for experimenting.

It’s a standard 31.8mm clamp which I guess I could use shims in for maybe something like a bmx cruiser bar, but they’re expensive too.

Other ones I’ve seen are 600mm wide or less which is a bit narrow I think probably.

So, anyone know of anything that might be worth trying that doesn’t cost a packet?

belgianwaffle1

You might be able to find a 25.4 stem and some easton ea70 (70mm rise) bars which IIRC are 680 wide.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nukeproof bars come in 38mm rise, the carbon ones are very comfy (but over budget when not in the sale obvs).

You may be able to get a bit more rise with a stem swap as well?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nwgiles

burgtec have just launched a set of high rise 50 bars

davros

Get an adjustable rise stem and stick with current bars. Sounds like it will be cheaper and she should be able to get the rise perfect.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Or planet x do a range of bars for the sort of thing you want.

bedmaker

Don’t mess about with expensive bars to gain 25mm or so.
    Embrace the ugly with a high rise adjustable stem or a steerer extender.
    My guess is that she’d benefit much more from lifting things by 100 odd mm rather than 25.

kayla1
    Free Member

I got some Spank 31.8 60mm rise bars from Chain Reaction recently, they’re only £35 or so. Or embrace the ugly and get an Adjust-O-Stem (we’ve got one on the tandem and it’s both brill and hideous in equal measure 🤣 )

thols2

Embrace the ugly with a high rise adjustable stem or a steerer extender.

This.

kayak23

Ah cheers. Hadn’t really considered the stem, largely because they tend to be quite long. I’m thinking any benefit in rise might be lost a bit in being very long… 🤔

submarined
    Free Member

50mm rise here: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-big-g-bar

Both rise to and weigh as much as the moon

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

A friend of mine had an accident a few years ago where he broke both his elbows in a nasty off, one of them seriously. Its a permanent injury that means he effectively cant do press ups so to get him out riding again I had to consider this.
    I fitted a slightly shorter stem with a little rise, only about 5 degrees and fitted some On one Mary bars and Ergon grips. Turned his head down arse up Kona PhD into a gentleman’s commuter and he is happy riding again.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMA/on-one-mary-handlebar

drdjpower

Brand-X Trekking bars, worth a try at £15.99. I have them on my and my daughter’s sit-up-and-beg commuter bikes, and like them. They look a bit daft, mind.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Try Amazon for cheap 50mm rise bars

bridges
    Free Member

The answer to this is so simple:

My wife has something very similar. Raises the bars 50-60mm or so, and has a forward reach of about 80mm. Transforms the handling of the bike, much more upright position.

chakaping
    Free Member

Or have a word with Jeremy Corbyn and see where he got this set-up?

bridges
    Free Member

Stem riser AND a high-rise adjustable stem! All the options in one attractive package! What’s not to like? 😀

mariner
    Free Member
    ajantom

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STOOGN/on-one-goose-neck-stem

Planet X gooseneck/limp dick stem. Would look extra weird with riser bars!

kayak23

Soma Dream Riser bar.

Thanks but way too expensive.
    I’ve found an ‘XLC riser bar’ for 15 notes I’m going to try. It’s a 50mm rise so should help.
    Might look at a riser stem if more is needed.

Thanks folks 👍

mrdestructo

Bmx Stem and 7/8 single wall moto-X bars with a detachable brace always does it for me. Mind you, it will weigh about a kilo.

The factor with hand issues and a number of MTB high rise “lesser-branded” bars I’ve found recently could be the sweep/upreach angles. I’ve seen some 10-11deg/5deg (upreach/sweep) bars that are just plain uncomfortable. But by really reading the specs of various moto-X bars you can find a 8deg/4deg bar to be more comfortable in use.

ajt123
    Free Member

CRC just got some stock in. I bought some Spank Spoon bars. They got 60 and 75mm rise. I got the 75mm

endomick
    Free Member

Interesting topic, my brothers gf is moaning about the front end being low despite a shite load of spacers, high rise bar and a stem with rise in it, I advised getting a 20mm longer fork but those 60 or 75 rise bars could be the answer but would probably look as mental as that stem above.

LAT

https://www.ergotec.de/en/

these guys will have something

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘High rise bars – what’s out there?’ is closed to new replies.