• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • High Life (the film)
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What a pile of utter pretentious bollox. Fawned over by critics, a complete waste of the last two hours of my life!!!

Klunk
    Free Member

should have checked imdb user reviews first

If you enjoy life, don’t waste any time on this rubbish

Long periods of silence where nothing happens. Short periods of talking where nothing is said. Lots of scenes that add nothing to the movie or the story at all. The acting is appalling even from the normally wonderful Binoche. I am fairly sure this film wants to be considered art, but it is very, very far from art. It is pure rubbish by someone who knows nothing of story telling or film making.

seems to back up your assessment 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

Haven’t seen it.
    It’s nice to know that a few non-mainstream films are still being produced and getting a half-decent release. I’d far rather see a film that tries something different and doesn’t quite work than cookie-cutter cinema. Much like literature, I get the sense that increasingly the people with the decent ideas aren’t the ones finding the few-and-far-between opportunities to get published/promoted.

DezB
    Free Member

Did it here – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/movies-2019/page/3/#post-10670109

I absolutely love non-mainstream films. But High Life wasn’t a case of it “doesn’t quite work”, it was also pretty repulsive (well, when it wasn’t totally boring). Even repulsive’s ok if done well, but it just wasn’t.
    I did make it to the end, unlike my partner, who deals with some repulsive shit at work and so didn’t need to see a bad portrayal of such things on screen and left well before the (crap) end.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘High Life (the film)’ is closed to new replies.