Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • high index lenses
  • mrmo
    Free Member

got my new glasses and am left wondering.

The old lenses were 1.6 the new lenses are 1.67.

Vision is fine but they just seem odd? i really can’t put my finger on it, just something is different?

Is it something that disappears and gets forgotten, should i be concerned?

chewkw
    Free Member

Multi-coating?

mrmo
    Free Member

not coatings, both coated. although the coating on the old lens was pretty trashed.

chewkw
    Free Member

Okay … try looking at the small print words on your flat screen TV …

Mine looks fine at other things but the moment I look at the wordings on my flat screen TV it turns blur … not sure what the problem is. 😯

CountZero

Polarised? Clutching at straws, really, mine are polarised, which I didn’t think would cause any problems, until I found out that a lot of Apple products have glass screens that are polarised…
    Sorry, mrmo, I can’t think of anything, really.

mrmo
    Free Member

not polarised, as i said it is a bit odd, very hard to explain just something feels different looking through them compared to my contacts or old glasses. As said vision is fine, clear etc, just something???

genghispod
    Free Member

I bought some glasses a while ago, made me feel dizzy. I went back to the opticians and he tested them only to find they had been ground off-axis. Replacements were fine.

vickypea
    Free Member

I got some new glasses about a year ago and had high index lenses put in as my prescription is minus 6.5.
    Anyway, they made me feel really dizzy and after a few days it was no better. The optician told me that some people don’t tolerate high index lenses, so they made me some new ones with a lower index, which were fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

ok, my eyes are -2, -7 astigmatism… i think that is right. Not dizzy, just feels different. see how i go i guess.

thehustler
    Free Member

you ‘might’ be noticing an effect called ‘power rings’ hopefully it will settle although some people cant tolerate it. This could be compounded if the lenses have been bevelled (basically has the edge of lens been ground off), if its a machine bevel sometimes they can be a bit big on your power of lens, a well done ‘hand’ bevel can look much neater and be less noticable

T666DOM

The 1.67 may be aspheric, which would alter your peripheral vision slightly. Higher index lenses generally disperse the light more as the index increases, causing more chromatic abberation, especially a problem with high minus lenses.

PD’s might be out so you’re not looking through the centre of the lens, or the centres may be correct, but the old 1.6 might have been wrong which your eyes have adapted to. This would make the new spex hard to get used to.

Prescription may be wrong or glazed incorrectly.

Go back to the optom who supplied them and explain what’s going on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘high index lenses’ is closed to new replies.