Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • High End XC Wheels to Replace ENVE XC
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

feel like a change, they are old rims, XC Rear/AM Front pre tubeless, they cannot be run tubeless without building up the rim bed, frankly its a faff, and considering how easy tubeless is these days, i feel I’m missing out

i do have a ENVE M50 front wheel spare, but I’m not really fussed about buying a matching rear and using those – just feel like something different

i could split the wheels (they are on DT 240 CL hubs) but the rims only will have a terrible resale value probably,

i like centre lock (more so the freeza design rotor) would prefer an XD free hub so i can continue to run XX1 cassettes,

however the M9000 XC wheels appeal for some reason, not fussed about being locked into a hub design (they don’t convert) as my frame is new and i don’t envisage chasing it and 15mm front is fine, width on them doesn’t really matter, i run 2.1 RaRa/Burts, 2.25 max – shimano free hub would be a compromise though

Crossmax SL Pro? bit old now?

use the M50 with a Light Bike rear rim

anything else out there without spending crazy money on MCFK/AX stuff

just carry on riding what i have and ignore the desire to buy something else?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you want high end & an easy tubeless set up the how about THESE?

Not cheap mind 😯

amedias
    Free Member

except for 3 problems…

1. They’re made by Crank Brothers
    2. they’re not really that light
    3. they’re made by Crank Brothers!!

Do you really want to go carbon again?

alwillis

Reynolds black label? DT 240 hubs on them (XD and centre lock catered for) and nice stiff carbon rims. I took mine all over Andalusia for a week of rocky riding and they haven’t missed a beat (XC version).

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Wheels/Reynolds/MOUNTAIN-WHEELS/BLACK-LABEL

Edit- the 2016 ones don’t seem to have the XC option or the DT Swiss hubs (mine are 2015s)

ferrals
    Free Member

If I were buying wheels I’d be looking at one of the DT Swiss spine sets, which can be got reduced from the germans.

mindmap3
    Free Member

If I were buying wheels I’d be looking at one of the DT Swiss spine sets, which can be got reduced from the germans.

The Spline wheels that I had on my Stanton which got stolen were really good; light, easy to service and set up tubless. The rims seemed pretty tough too.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d just go bling hubs on LB rims. Carbon-Ti appeal for something a bit less common. DT 180? Tune? Realise that DTs aside they’re not Centrelock.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Roval Control SL? Nice rims and DT240 hubs. Probably not high end enough though!

blairc70
    Free Member

DT swiss XRC or XMC 1200??

njee20
    Free Member

al Control SL? Nice rims and DT240 hubs. Probably not high end enough though

Build quality on my old (alu) Controle SLs was crap – nipples snapping and seizing, finish on spokes flaking off. Wouldn’t rush to have another set.

kimbers

Light bicycle on whatever hub’s you fancy dt240 ?

honourablegeorge

New Mavic Carbon wheels?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seen the Mavic trail carbon ones, they got some race XC on the way too?

I should have googled it really…

Mavic Crossmax SL Carbon mountain bike wheels coming this summer at Leadville 100

Coming in August.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Regarding a lot of the carbon options, it would be difficult to justify over LB rims

Kovvees look good but I wonder how the price will translate to the uk

njee20
    Free Member

And weight – Bontrager are often very optimistic!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I sold some SRAM Rise tub wheels a couple of days before Dugast released them tubeless Ori things, I’d have probably still sold them anyway, I wouldn’t want to puncture or have a tub issue in the peaks, be alright on a race day only bike I guess

drovercycles
    Free Member

The new DT Swiss wheels are very nice – we’ve just sold a set of the XMC 1200 which is the wider, AM version of these:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Wheels/XRC-1200-Spline-29

XD driver, centrelock, tubeless, light, reliable…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No Tubes Valor… or if you want something a bit different, Bike Ahead BiTurbo RS.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

suppose i should strip down and weigh what i have, then at least i have a baseline to work around as i of course dont want to add loads of weight

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone know much about these? apart from the fact they made them light fat bike rims for Kuroshiro

https://r2-bike.com/ALCHEMIST-Felge-29-MTB-Clincher-Carbon-365g

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t, but he’s only about 10 miles from me. Could potentially go and have a look.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

cheers, not at all what I’m after really, i shouldn’t work nights with access to eBay 😆

be nice though i guess,

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, I was sort of hoping you’d say yes. I’d buy them and then tell you they were shit.

He could’ve given the tubs more of a scrub.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

What about Industry nine hubs and take your pick with the rim choice. Pretty sure all axles, colours and free hubs are catered for.

mashiehood
    Free Member

He’s been trying to shift them for a while – overpriced in my opinion

dirtyrider
    Free Member

right, stripped down what i have and the weights are as follows

front

ENVE Am on DT 240 CL Sapim CX-Ray – 850g
    180mm Freeza Rotor – 131g
    Lockring – 9g
    Tube – 150g
    2.1 Burt – 550g

rear

ENVE XC on DT 240 CL 10mm Sapim CX-Ray – 840g
    DT QR – 69g
    160mm Freeza Rotor – 115g
    RT77 Lockring -9g
    Tube – 160g
    Burt 2.1 – 490g

the front ENVE M50 on Hope Pro 2 i have is 750g

currently thinging of a MCFK on Extralite Hyperfront maybe not much to go wrong with a front hub really, not sure what for the rear, ive had Tune before, i dont mind them,

i like the Freeza rotors, but i guess it limits my hub choice, however theres a cheap white DT 180 on eBay at the moment for the rear, but its a Shimano freehub, easily switched, but finding a matching front would be costly

whats lightweight and reliable in 6 bolt – Lauf is 180mm for the front, frame is 160mm minimum

dirtyrider
    Free Member

XTR Carbon Rims
    Tune King/Kong Hubs
    Dugast Fast Bird 50s

courtesy of “dobbo” via eBay

for now anyway, I’ve got a set of white RS-1s & some Carbon-Ti hubs waiting for another day, just not getting a lot of time to ride lately

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work dirtynappyrider 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘High End XC Wheels to Replace ENVE XC’ is closed to new replies.