Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • High-end Road Frames WITHOUT Press Fit BB?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy a high end road frame these days that doesn’t have a press fit BB… without going custom/steel/handmade?

ackie
    Free Member

Not quite ‘High end’ but the Bowman Palace, if you don’t mind Alloy.
    Merlin Nitro, (rebadged Ridley) has threaded BB I believe.
    I’m sure there must be others…

ianbradbury

Fairlight

jblewi
    Free Member

Whyte wessex?

garlic
    Free Member

Press-fits are ok if you do it right- I have a Litepeed T3 with a PF30 shell. Rather than fitting a PF30 bottom bracket I bought a Hope press fit BB so I could use an Ultegra chainset- it’s been creak free for 2 years. If you do go the Hope route you’ll need to budget for the specific Hope fitting tool.

legend
    Free Member

Pinarello (at least Team Sky defo use screw in)

Bregante

petec
    Free Member

my px ti sample has a british threaded BB

Digger90
    Free Member

Perhaps I should have said ‘high end carbon road frame’. If I went metal, I’d probably go for a custom frame from Donhou, Feather, Saffron, Burls etc.

Good shout on Pinarello – I’ll check them out.

I’ve had a Ritchey Road Logic – LOVED the way it rode, but the really short HT just killed my back.

I’m wishing I’d not sold my Colnago C59…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Spesh Tarmac or Roubaix .

Stoner
    Free Member

interestingly Planet X have gone for BSA threaded on their nice carbon stuff now too.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/ec-130e-aero-road

Stoner
    Free Member

13thfloormonk

Interested in this also, quite keen on a Rose Xeon.

Are some press fits better than others? My BB30 from years ago was surprisingly OK, but the pressfit on my new Trek is already creaking away after not very much, mostly dry, use.

13thfloormonk

Oh, p.s. to the OP, chech out Bianchi and Cinelli frames, not sure what you can get frame only (or what you might consider high end 😉 ) but I was surprised how much of their ranges featured screw in BBs

padkinson
    Free Member

I think the cheaper (sport and elite) Specialized Tarmac frames have threaded BBs.

damascus
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s not high end but my saracen Avro frame is a threaded BB. Di2 compatible. Bolt thru front and rear. Has mounts for mudguards and is sub 1000g for the carbon frame.

Leaves plenty of cash to bling it up.

But as above fit a hope pf screw in BB and buy the bike you really want.

scaredypants

LOVED the way it rode, but the really short HT just killed my back

I’d guess that most “high end” road frames would have ded racy geometry

is it a posh sportive/audax bike you’re after ?

Bez

🙂

antigee

another Ritchey option Breakaway carbon – maybe a bit leftfield but would quite like one to save lugging a bike box on the the plane and threaded BB

https://www.bike24.com/p2206332.html

there was a recent review over on road cc built up with dura ace came in at 7.5kgs

petec
    Free Member

😆

cheek!

my px ti sample was made by Saratoga Frameworks; the remnants of Serotta after they went bust.

It’s very good American titanium. The remnants of Saratoga are now #22; mine is basically the same as this, including the lovely anodizing.

It was going to be the equivalent of the Lynskey made PX branded ti bikes (apart from mine hasn’t cracked yet), but Saratoga then went bust as well. All got a bit messy

Great bike though.

Bream
    Free Member

I know you said without custom but you can spec an English BB on a Parlee build, doesn’t get much more high end than that!

Mate just had this Z1 built, serious money but if you have the cash, why the heck not:

DT78
    Free Member

Re rose Xeon, mines still on original bb after 5k miles no creams or issues. Think it’s more of an issue for off-road. I went the hope option for my scale

crouchingpig
    Free Member

That Z1 is bloody lovely.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sarto. The Veneto is available in BSA BB fitting, it’s also fully custom.

martymac

As mentioned above by garlic,
    Hope do a press fit bb that screws in as two halves, its excellent, very free spinning compared to a shimano ht2.
    Its what I have on my fs bike, little bit spendy, but opens up your options re which frame to buy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘High-end Road Frames WITHOUT Press Fit BB?’ is closed to new replies.