Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • High end bibs for long days in the saddle
  • DT78
    Free Member

So have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, next summer I have my eye on some long distance challenges on and off road (south downs way / LEJOG) so I’m looking to invest in some top draw bibs.

Currently use a mixture of mid range giordani, gore and endura. Giordani have been the best fit / durability out of them all but not by much.

I’m looking at assos but they are silly money…are they really 50% better than top end from other brands?

bob_summers

No, law of diminishing returns and all that… you can spend 300 quid on a pair of Assos which even have a special willy warmer, but I doubt they are 6 times more comfortable than my 50 quid club shorts. The Assos shorts I’ve had (a few pairs of Milles and the slightly cheaper ones) haven’t lasted appreciably longer either. I don’t spend more than about 80 these days, and I do some long days on the bike and about 10k miles a year. I got a pair of Nalini on sale in Decathlon for about 50 quid, they’ve been really good.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm thats interesting, i have some dhb, gore and giordani and think the gore are wearing the best, they are all nice in different ways and the sizes completely different. i miss the pocket on my gore. its hard to see past the dhb for value.

i think id get gore again though, as all my gore stuff has lasted well and fit well. never had assos!!!

interested to see what others will recommend

flange
    Free Member

Hmmm

I used to buy fairly cheap shorts when I started doing decent road mileage and just put up with the discomfort as I didn’t know any better

Then I spent a bit more and bought some castelli ones and it was like night and day. £100 will get you their cheapest ones and they’re ace, last for ages and the pad doesn’t seem to lose its shape. The body paint ones are even nicer but getting into assos money. I’ve tried assos and didn’t find them as comfy as castelli but its a personal thing I suppose

Also if you don’t already, use chamois cream. Changed my life, especially the menthol stuff…

jonyb
    Free Member

just bought some royal 3/4 bibs from crc. on offer.
    early days but seem great so far.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Endura Equipe are very comfortable as are the FS260 Pros

aP
    Free Member

I recently got rid of some Assos air block bib longs which I bought in 98, only because they’d gone quite thin. I bought some new Assos bib longs with extra insulation to replace them in a spring sale.
    Herself has some Assos ladies bib long which she managed to wear a big hole through the thigh panel (and herself) – sent them back to Assos for repair – done for free and sent back with a box of Swiss chockies, which I ate :o)
    If I’m out on the bike for 5 or 6 hours in the cold I don’t want to be finding things aren’t very warm or long lasting.

Vortexracing

Endura Equipe are very comfortable as are the FS260 Pros

2nd both those options

DT78
    Free Member

Normally don’t spend much more than £50 and look to pick up in the sales. Gore Alp X’s are on the list, as is the giordana TC’s as I got on well with the tenax, both can be had for around £100

I’ve seen Milie S5 for £150…

My main problem seems to be inner thigh chaffing when I start getting towards 4 hours in the saddle. Do use chamonix cream, haven’t tried the menthol stuff yet though

bob_summers

I haven’t tried Chamonix cream 😉 but the Assos chamois cream will keep away the chafing on long rides. See if you can find out why your thighs are chafing – wide nose on the saddle perhaps? Shorts not snug enough? For me at least, the most comfortable shorts on the bike are the hardest to put on.

I get two years out of Assos, after one year they’ve gone a few shades lighter. After the second, they’re getting too thin on the ‘arris and it’s time to relegate them to double-bagging under my club shorts. I wash them in their mesh bag, so don’t know why they don’t last as long as others, though they do get hammered more.

DT78
    Free Member

damn spell check 🙂

well, I’ve just stumped up for assos milies. Silly money for lycra I just hope they are as good as the reviews. If they make my time in the saddle comfier it will be worth it.

I’ve tried a few saddles in the quest for the perfect fit, quite an expensive past time!

scaled
    Free Member

My castelli bibs are amazing, every time I sit down on the saddle its worth every penny.

Its a memory foam pad or something.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the price is hard to stomach, particularly for a cheapskate like me…but the assos milles are worth the money.

I dont wear them for short rides so they last longer but for a long day in the saddle they are my first and only choice. You really notice the difference on back to back long days like you would be doing on a LEJOG.

Merak

Gore Ozon.

banks
    Free Member

Morvelo bibs, well impressed with mine. Just really really good tbh..

doodlebug
    Free Member

These !

I have brought most high end bibs and i have found my firm favorite without a doubt : Sportful Total Comfort
    Currently have a pair for off road, a pair for road and long bibs for the depth’s of winter

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘High end bibs for long days in the saddle’ is closed to new replies.