Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Hifi Help
  • womble72
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Totem Dreamcatcher speakers and want to find a way of playing spotify, from my iPhone, through them. Is this possible or will I be better off selling the totems and buying a pair of dedicated Bluetooth speakers?

Fat-boy-fat

Sonos connect amp off eBay will sort you out.

Vader
    Free Member

What altitude are you at?

rossburton
    Free Member

20 quid bluetooth dongle from amazon +++

tinribz
    Free Member

Dont get Bluetooth speakers. What about a Tangent Ampster BT II?

Tangent Ampster – Review

CraigW
    Free Member

Or get an amp with optical in, then plug in a Chromecast Audio.

stumpy01

Or get an amp with optical in, then plug in a Chromecast Audio.

Doesn’t have to be an optical in. You can just hook it into a normal RCA connection.

Google aren’t manufacturing the Chromecast Audio anymore though, so if you think you want one, get one quick.

I got my first one for Christmas, then heard that they weren’t making them anymore so bought 3 more just in case. Should have bought a couple more, really.

Gunz
    Free Member

We’ve got a Gramofon plugged into our amp, easy to set up and doesn’t drop out.

https://gramofon.com

sillysilly
    Free Member

I can honestly say that the best way is to sell me your totem dreamcatchers and just buy a Sonos 😂

Or invest in a chromecast audio > into a decent Dac (Beresford work well on a budget) > into a decent Amp (some nice class D or class A without boutique names floating around second hand. Have fun…

5lab

just to add to the options, the amazon echo link amp is also coming out which should give this functionality (probably a chunk cheaper than the sonos too) – but if you have some old amp, just hook that up to a chromecast

you don’t really want to be pushing audio over bluetooth to nice speakers, but using sonos\chromecast\echo you control from your phone, but the music is generated locally

tjagain

Just connect your computer or tablet or phone to the amp with a bit of wire? KISS

tonyg2003

Logitech Bluetooth dongle thing. £17 last week from amazon. Works very well

womble72
    Free Member

That Tangent Ampster looks good, I was considering the Audiolab M-One but will look into that. Ruark Mr1 Mk2’s were high on my list of small but great sounding Bluetooth speakers but my Totems are gathering dust and if can partner them up with my phone and Spotify then I’ll be a happy chappy 😀

budgierider67

Apple Airport Express plugged into your amp. Job done. Works well for me.

womble72
    Free Member

I forgot to mention, I don’t have an amp, just the speakers. I sold my hifi when i downsized But I still have the Totems and want to turn them into a good set of Bluetooth speakers without huge amps on show

DezB
    Free Member

tjagain

Just connect your computer or tablet or phone to the amp with a bit of wire?

That’s what I do – gave up with faffing about with bluetooth/chromecast, just plug phone into the lead dangling from the Aux socket.
    That said, has OP got a amp, or just speakers? Ah, silmulpost… no amp 😀
    Need an amp then matey!

the-muffin-man

Back to my dirt cheap option – worth a punt for £28! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely 🙂

More hi-fi stuff should be called Nobsound

the-muffin-man

🙂

Yes – unfortunate name – original meaning lost in translation somewhere!

catfood
    Free Member

Something like muffin-man’s option with a cable straight from your phone will do the trick, I had a similar set up for my son when I gave him a set of old Technics speakers, worked fine, he now has it connected to the old Technics amp which does sound much better but for about thirty quid you can’t grumble.

You could always buy a second hand amp off gumtree/ebay, some nice older stuff going very cheap, either connect it directly with a cable or via an airport express, which will make it sound much nicer as you’ll be using the airport express’s dac rather than the phone’s (check out Ken Rockwell airport express review (although I know many consider him a bit of a bell end)).

Depends how far you want to go sound quality wise.

Jakester
    Free Member

If you haven’t got an amp, buy a cheap one off eBay/Gumtree and get a BT dongle. I have an ancient Cambridge Audio amp which has a BT jobbie plugged into one of the inputs and works perfectly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s from an iphone, so you will need something that accepts AAC, not just bluetooth otherwise you will end up with the lowest quality bluetooth.

Are the speakers connected to your HiFi that also has the TV on – in which case you could get an Apple TV and Airplay to it. I’ve just got one for that reason.

DezB
    Free Member

Are the speakers connected to your HiFi

They ain’t connected to nuffin he said.

TiRed

Tangent ampster is excellent; BT, optical in and line. Bought one for Son1 to liberate a sonos. It’s driving some bookshelf speakers just fine. He plays spotify via BT.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He plays spotify via BT

except that, on an iphone, that will be the lowest quality SBC bluetooth.

Cable might be your best option – I seem to remember that smoeone used an iphone as a source at a big hifi show.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve just thought of another option if you do want to be able to ‘throw’ from your phone and not connect with cables – a Sony SBH56 bluetooth adapter – which will accept AAC from your iphone and so will be better quality than with most bluetooth adapters.

It is more for headphones but if you plug the charger port into a mains adapter to keep it powered up and then a cable from it’s headphone socket to the amp that drives your speakers.

here’s one on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283092975728

I listen to one every day, had to change from the SBH52 because of the Apple AAC thing when I changed form an android phone to an iphone.

womble72
    Free Member

The speakers and the amp all have sit on a narrow window sill, so a full sized amp won’t fit. I’m not looking for the cheapest option just the one that offers the best sound and convenience…. convenience being just being able to walk into the room and Bluetooth spotify to it. I think the tangent ampster is looking to be what I might go for.

womble72
    Free Member

….I’ll then be asking what cables (and direction) works best when I’m amped up 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the tangent ampster is looking to be what I might go for.

except that you’ll be using the lowest quality bluetooth codec. The tangent supports aptX which is higher quality but your iphone doesn’t, it wants AAC.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I like the look of that nob sound. Will the mini usb power a chromecast audio for even more options? if it does, i might just have to get one.

womble72
    Free Member

except that you’ll be using the lowest quality bluetooth codec. The tangent supports aptX which is higher quality but your iphone doesn’t, it wants AAC.

I see. What other device could I use that uses aptX?

cyclelife
    Free Member

Personally I can’t stand listening to anything transmitted via BT to any half decent setup. Better wired or over your network, in which case look at the Yamaha Musicast adaptor.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

see. What other device could I use that uses aptX?

no, you want AAC as you have an iphone – I hit this problem when I changed from a sony phone ot an iphone.

Same issue if you buy bluetooth headphones, they need to support AAC.

That SBH56 adapter I posted up above would accept AAC, or if you have an old tablet or phone lying around that does aptX you could use that with the Tangent.

Or the airport express solutions to work with your iphone that other people have posted.

Or this page lists some DACS of various prices, some of which do Airplay/AAC – add a cheap amp like the nobsound and it’s around the same budget as the Tangent :

https://www.t3.com/features/best-streaming-dac

Neet did something and their stuff is normally good but it seems to be unavailable :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Airstream-Wifi-Music-Receiver/dp/B010DM7M8W

I think this Yamaha does AAC and a lot more but is a bit big for you :

https://exceptional-av.co.uk/yamaha-r-n303d-hi-fi-receiver-black.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnY_jBRDdARIsAIEqpJ27mcZRFW0Z1jPnbbEOQJqXC91sXRajHHn3DljlqMbyFcd7O3-cgzUaAnCfEALw_wcB#overview

ths page has more details on the differences :

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/difference-between-airplay-bluetooth

csb

To piggyback on the thread, I’ve just got an Amazon echo input for 15 quid as an add on to an mp3 player and bluetooth speaker for my daughter.

I think it will plug into my amp (which is CD and turntable) but I have no idea how they access music. I have Wi-Fi so do I need an Amazon prime account?

stumpy01
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That Denon looks good and their small systems have always had very capable amps in – worthy of more than the denon speakers. Good find as it supports Airplay.

turboferret

I have 2 little Denon systems, an N5 and an N9 I think, both powering smallish bookshelf speakers, with the primary source being MP3’s Airplayed from my NAS. I have found the WIFI to be a bit flakey, not sure if that’s down to my network or the units themselves, but now I’ve hardwired one of them it’s been rock solid. Also does internet radio etc. I’ll be getting more and sticking them in other rooms in the house.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t worry about AAC/MP3/ANAL compatibility, just ensure you install some Machina Dynamica dots and you’ll be laughing.

womble72
    Free Member

Don’t worry about AAC/MP3/ANAL compatibility, just ensure you install some Machina Dynamica dots and you’ll be laughing.

Seems legit. Take my money!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Hifi Help’ is closed to new replies.