Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hicks Lodge
  • robbo1234biking

What is it like?

Thinking of having a trip down tomorrow (we are only in Derby so not a long drive!). The little guy is pretty good on his balance bike and thought we could do the Highway Rat trail afterwards.

is the Café any good? The wife will prob want to sit and read a magazine whilst we mess about on bikes.

Cheers

andyr
    Free Member

It’s good for kids/newbies as the trails are fairly flat with no big climbs or features. If your son is still on his balance bike though I’d suggest sticking to the path around the lake. There’s one climb/descent depending which way round you go. If you want to go down instead of up think of a clock with the cafe at 12 then go in a clockwise direction. Lots of chances to feed the ducks too. It can be a bit exposed around the lake though. Cafe is standard type found everywhere: not great but not bad either but it is warm with good views over the playpark and lake. My kids enjoy going  (6 & 3) although when we go round the ‘proper’ trails the youngest comes with me in his weeride.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think it’s great for a ride with the little dude – he’s three and a bit and can make it around the blue on his balance bike (he seems to like the berms / bumpy bits a lot).

The cafe is fine and works as a good incentive as his attention span starts to wobble.

robbo1234biking

Sounds like it will be ideal then!

StuF

My girls like it, and the ice cream at the cafe. The loop on the other side of the road is surprisingly fun for blasting round by yourself – some nice little berms to lay the bike over on.

Usually we do a lap, then I do a lap whilst my girls eat ice cream.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bear in mind that after it’s rained the trail doesn’t seem to drain particularly well and has a lot of puddles (not so much mud, just the trail doesn’t slope to drain water away).

I did a couple of laps a fortnight ago and lost the feeling in my feet from the freezing spray!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Nice relaxed place for kids. Took mine over there a few times. Cafes great.

MoreCashThanDash

Trails are awesome for kids/families. Café awesome as well. The beetroot and prune chocolate brownies are amazing, and two of your five a day!

I used to volunteer there with the FC so possibly biased

iain1775
    Free Member

If the weather is OK may be heading down with my daughter (7), she is a fair weather rider though and it’s not looking that promising at the mo

it is however ideal for your situation, you could also go to Conkers afterwards if the little one still has surplus energy

asbrooks

A word of warning. The trails are all covered in gravel, my daughter came off on the gravel a few years ago. She still has the scars to prove it. Completely put her off riding her bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hicks Lodge’ is closed to new replies.