Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hi-Fi: Moving from MM to cheap MC Cartridge
  • sc-xc

Hi – I know there are a load of you on here that know about this stuff…

I currently have a Rega RP1 with Nagaoka MP110 MM cartridge -> Leak Stereo 130 (with built in MM stage) -> Wharfedale Linton Heritage.

I am looking at the Pro-Ject The Classic Evo which comes with an Ortofon Quintet Red MC cartridge. I can’t stretch any further than around £1300 (so an LP12 or similar is out of budget) but I am a sucker for the vintage looks, and the walnut will match the Leak/Wharfedale perfectly.

I have this very cheap MC/MM phono stage but could spend a further £200ish on a new MC stage (possibly this Pro-Ject Phono Box or this Music Fidelity LX2 LPS

So…my question. Would a budget MC cart like the Ortofon running through a budget MC stage like any of the above be an improvement on my existing MM cartridge. I don’t know enough about this stuff to understand the specs!

Thanks for any input

dannybgoode

A complex question and to start with the phono stage you want is the Tisbury Audio Domino at £150. As good as a Rega Aria costing £900 – I have owned them both and listened to them extensively and the Domino came out on top. Tisbury only have an Ebay presence but their kit is manufactured in the UK.

As to your question – an MC cart on your Rega would not be worth the money. The Evo Classic is a nice deck and would benefit from the better cartridge but my advice would be to get yourself onto the Audioshite group on Facebook and ask there for advice on a nicely restored proper vintage deck. Lots of really knowledgeable folk there – David Harris will be able to sort you a smashing deck for around £4-500 as would a number of other people.

sc-xc

Cheers Danny

I was on Audioshite before quitting facebook for my mental wellbeing – in fact I remember Jonathan Ives not only helping me out with a restoration of a PL12D but sending me a speaker splitter FOC. I agree it’s a great group.

As for buying vintage, I have been burnt a few times over the years with vintage gear and fancied something new to match the new Leak/Wharfedale kit.

I might contact a few dealers to see if they can swap out the Ortofon for perhaps the MP150 or MP200…mind you that Tisbury would fit the bill perfectly!

Thanks

dannybgoode

Not so much to go wrong with a well restored vintage TT than there is say an amp but understand where you are coming from.

The Tisbury is very very nice and would perhaps be an upgrade from the built-in stage of the Leak instead of upgrading the TT for now.

I’ve heard the Linton’s too – lovely speakers 🙂

sc-xc

The Tisbury is very very nice and would perhaps be an upgrade from the built-in stage of the Leak instead of upgrading the TT for now.

Let’s not pretend I’m upgrading for any other reason than it looks so pretty 😀

sc-xc

Update Danny, the shop is doing the TT with an Ortofon Bronze MM for the same price…so good result!

bazzer
    Free Member

The phono stage on my Arcam Alpha 10 is playing up so I am liking the idea of the Tisbury Audio Domino, cheers for that.

roach

I’m using a Schitt Mani with my MP110 on a Rega P3. I preferred it to the stage in the Elex r amp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hi-Fi: Moving from MM to cheap MC Cartridge’ is closed to new replies.