Viewing 39 posts - 241 through 279 (of 279 total)
  • Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?
  • jahwomble
    Free Member

I just felt left out and wanted to join in without actually having to state an opinion 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

Eye – that Scottish chappieeee pmsl

molgrips
    Free Member

Solid core cables as opposed to twisted core cables I can also see the point of and I've experienced the difference. There are good physical explanations as to why there is a difference.

There are good physical explanations for all sorts of factors that could push a cable up to a few hundred pounds. I've alluded to some of them above.

Seriously though, ditch the 3,5,7 speaker surround for music and switch back to a 2 system set up, one for music (stereo) and one for TV, Movies etc.

Yeah well that generates tons of clutter and miles of wire in your room. Not ideal.

Gribs

Ti29er – Member

OK.
    I retract the HALFORD'S slurr.
    But the analogy is close.
    Music in the car. Luddites!

The analogy is rubbish. There's a measurable difference between a Jones an a Halfords special. Even the difference between a cheap and expensive wine is measurable. The output from an adequate speaker cable and an expensive one isn't.

Radioman

This is the funniest thread i have ever read on STW. I can honestly say its cheered me up today! Thanks everyone its been great entertainment!
    (i'm not saying i know the answer….I don't but I can guess!)

molgrips
    Free Member

Boils down to people trying to tell other people that what they have experienced is wrong.

"It's a crap song/painting/film. Of course it is, any fool knows that!"

grumm
    Free Member

Boils down to people trying to tell other people that what they have experienced is wrong.

Did you read any of the studies people posted where they did double blind tests?

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, I would like to expand the post above a little:

There's a measurable difference between a Jones an a Halfords special.

There are lots of measurable differences. And some unmeasurable ones. Some would hold the Halfords special to be superior.

Even the difference between a cheap and expensive wine is measurable.

What are the purposes of a bottle of wine? Many differences are measurable, which are relevant?

The output from an adequate speaker cable and an expensive one isn't.

What are you measuring?

marsdenman
    Free Member

enhance your listening pleasure – send your cables here……
    What would appear to be a snake oil offering, but the results come with a scientific (molecular level) explanation, as well as 'popular press' approval………
    Used to be an account of mine when I worked for BOC, we supplied the liquid nitrogen…. never did get round to sending my spare runs of QED silver in to 'take a bath'…. sometimes wish i had…

Just adding an extra dimension to discussions….. 😀

twohats
    Free Member

1st essential Hi-Fi upgrade.

jond
    Free Member

Boils down to people trying to tell other people that they hear stuff that has no relationship to the science behind it.

Jeez, can't believe you bunch are still at it…

ransos
    Free Member

I get the feeling that the "nay-sayers" here are relying on the unmeasurability factor (the science) without actually having had the experience of listening to a high-end stereo music Hifi system

You'd be wrong, then. I have a nice stereo. I've listened to (and have owned) even nicer ones in the past. I've never heard cables make a difference to the sound quality.

The "unmeasurability factor" you refer to is a figment of your imagination. An audible difference is sound quality is the claim of many of these snake oil merchants. As I said before, all you need to do to convince me is find me listeners who can tell the difference (under controlled conditions) between different cables, when they don't know which cable is being used. It's a perfectly reasonable request – wine tasters often do blind tastings, for example.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DIRECTIONALITY: I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that it may well be the placebo effect, rather than imagination (a thin line, perhaps). Nevertheless, it seems real, as in: I can hear a difference – the "right" way round just feels more musical.

I thought the response from NAIM, wherein they described the process of establishing directionality as getting "Roy" to listen to random lengths of cable was interesting.

If HE is experiencing the placebo effect, then it's an even deeper hall of mirrors.

Also, given the rest of their science-based design and production, a bit odd to say the least.

😯

DIFFERENT CABLES: I've actually done this in the past. Using a quality, but budget system (Thorens TT/Ortofon cart/A&R A30 amp/MShort Speakers), I cabled up with "QED" cable first, then bog standard mains cable second. The difference, I assure you, was obvious and completely non-subtle. A visual metaphor would be – can you tell the difference between a Warhol and a Gainsborough… so obvious, I should think anybody could hear it.

Not trying to start the argument up again like, just relaying my experience.. :mrgreen:

ransos
    Free Member

"I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that it may well be the placebo effect, rather than imagination (a thin line, perhaps). Nevertheless, it seems real, as in: I can hear a difference."

I believe that you honestly believe you can hear a difference. But then, most people's religious faith is sincerely held.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hmmm. Indeed. Although I'd like to hear from any of the faithfull that meeting Jesus was just a hallucination!

shoefiti
    Free Member

I can't really be bothered to read through the whole thread, but has any one asked whether the internal components of the system are of the same qaulity as the fancy leads? I was always under the impression that the sound qaulity could not be improved beyond the weekest link in the chain, so amazing leads would not improve my system. I've had it all to bits before and there was nought in it that looked like it was made of gold or platinum etc, so i got some 10 quid ones from richersounds.

higgo
    Free Member

I've actually done this in the past. Using a quality, but budget system (Thorens TT/Ortofon cart/A&R A30 amp/MShort Speakers), I cabled up with "QED" cable first, then bog standard mains cable second. The difference, I assure you, was obvious and completely non-subtle.

So you knew which cable you were listening to? It's that placebo effect again. The placebo effect is very real and very well understood. It's precisely why tests should be 'blind'.

A visual metaphor would be – can you tell the difference between a Warhol and a Gainsborough… so obvious, I should think anybody could hear it.

And yet in this double-blind ABX test it was found that listeners could not hear a difference: http://www.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_wire.htm

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes. I find that odd. I'd like to take part in one of these things myself. I'm confident that I could hear the difference. Perhaps I'm wired (sorry) differently?

higgo
    Free Member

And back to the original question, directionality…

Has anyone yet come up with a rational explanation for how 'directionality' improves signal performance with an AC signal. Sound does not flow one-way down the cable from amp to speaker. An signal is passed by alternating current whereby all the little electrons dance one way for a bit, then they dance the other way for a bit, then back, then forward and so on. Any 'directional' property that helps the electrons dance one way but hinders them returning must[/i] degrade the signal, not preserve or improve it.

higgo
    Free Member

I find that odd. I'd like to take part in one of these things myself. I'm confident that I could hear the difference. Perhaps I'm wired (sorry) differently?

See the detail of a previous test I posted on here about hearing a difference between systems with 'normal' and Kimber power leads. The listeners all completed a pre-test questionnaire. Thos ewho scored them selves highly as either 'Audiophile' or 'Likely to hear a difference' performed exactly the same as the rest of the group, i.e. they could not detect a difference.

MrAgreeable

I'm confident that I could hear the difference. Perhaps I'm wired (sorry) differently?

If you hear a knock at the door today, it'll be Richard Dawkins coming to tear up your Rationalist's Club members card.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Kimber power leads. The listeners all completed a pre-test questionnaire. Thos ewho scored them selves highly as either 'Audiophile' or 'Likely to hear a difference' performed exactly the same as the rest of the group, i.e. they could not detect a difference.

Sure. I don't doubt that. I'd still like to undergo the process, however…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I feel the quicksand of another argument coming up however – if it turns out that my experience is different due to something about my physical or psychological make-up being different (previous statements about blind tests notwithstanding), then I think that's perfectly rational.

As Richard once said in reply to the question "What if you died and met god?" –

"Well I'm sure we could sit down and have a nice scientific conversation about it and test how god fits into our understanding of a quantum universe"…

grumm
    Free Member

I feel the quicksand of another argument coming up however – if it turns out that my experience is different due to something about my physical or psychological make-up being different (previous statements about blind tests notwithstanding), then I think that's perfectly rational.

Yeah, you're one of the special people, chosen by God to have magical hearing abilities – well above and beyond normal audiophiles.

MrAgreeable

You're assuming that your experience is different. As Higs points out, you have no proof of this and there is nothing about your experience that can't be explained by the placebo effect.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

You're assuming that your experience is different. As Higs points out, you have no proof of this and there is nothing about your experience that can't be explained by the placebo effect.

Well then – that's rational.

Yeah, you're one of the special people, chosen by God to have magical hearing abilities – well above and beyond normal audiophiles.

Right. OK then, I'd hoped for a reasonable discussion but I see that the attack tendency has re-emerged so I'm quitting it.

🙄

CountZero

As your local deity I think some of you are delusional. 😈

grumm
    Free Member

Right. OK then, I'd hoped for a reasonable discussion but I see that the attack tendency has re-emerged so I'm quitting it.

Very sensitive now aren't we? Funny, I didn't see your sensitive side in all the atheism debates. 😉

midgebait
    Free Member

A perennial New Scientist Feedback favourite:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19926662.400-feedback.html

PMSL 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

"A caution to people buying these: if you do not follow the 'directional markings' on the cables, your music will play backwards."

Guffaw.

While we're at it… anyone got a view on 'high quality' digital interconnects? I know I do.

Mark

To be fair to whoppit… for a brief minute… the Placebo effect IS real. Fundamentally, despite anyone's thinking that the placebo effect is the result of ignorance and unwillngness to actually open your mind to the truth of a system, the result of a patient taking a placebo drug is quite measurably that they get better as a direct result of believing the placebo is something that will benefit them. In that regard if Whoppit perceives a difference from using directional cables in his audio setup then I'm quite happy to accept that he is getting value from his purchase.

It's the crooks who know that their products are placebos who then sell them pretending there is an actual physical mechanism for them being better products who I get rather grumpy about. They are exploiting the susceptability of customers to suggestion. And in fact I actually wouldn't mind quite as much even in that case if they didn't pretend that their unique products deserved a completely ridiculous price tag that in no way reflects the process and costs of production.

But then the irony is that it is likely that the placebo effect is reliant on the end users subconsciou belief that the the product would only be that expensive if it really did work. It's all a bit frustratingly circular but it is testament to the genuine wonder that is the placebo effect.

In many ways I'm a poorer person because my acceptance and understanding of the placebo effect coupled with my general sceptical position means there are probably many experiences in life that are closed off to me.. being able to hear a difference due to directional cables being one of them.
    Ignorance really is bliss it would seem 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Yup it certainly is real and I'm not immune to it – just think you should recognise it for what it is.

I record/produce music as part of what I do for a living, and there has been occasions where both me and other experienced musicians/engineers have been mixing something, and tweaked some eq or compression settings, thinking that we heard an improvement/change – then realised that we were actually messing with settings for the wrong channel and what we were doing was having no effect at all. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

In.

So it could well be a real placebo effect, then. Seems credible. Lucky me.

By the way the NAIM placebo that I use is cheap compared to the likes of Nordost et al at just £15.0 a metre…

Out.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and sounds better…

higgo
    Free Member

to you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Mighty Higs – Member

to you.

Well yes, of course "to me". Haven't we covered that? Exhaustively? For God's sake don't start all that up again…

Did I say "for God's sake"?

Oops. Silly me.

😯

higgo
    Free Member

Haven't we covered that? Exhaustively?

Yes.
    Yes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It's the crooks who know that their products are placebos who then sell them pretending there is an actual physical mechanism for them being better products who I get rather grumpy about. They are exploiting the susceptability of customers to suggestion. And in fact I actually wouldn't mind quite as much even in that case if they didn't pretend that their unique products deserved a completely ridiculous price tag that in no way reflects the process and costs of production.

What is being described here cables or pushed tuning 😉

clubber
    Free Member

pretending there is an actual physical mechanism for them being better products

Pushing is physically different. You may or may not agree that it's worth it (I don't FWIW) but there's no question that there is a difference.

Viewing 39 posts - 241 through 279 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?’ is closed to new replies.