Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 279 total)
  • Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Well, your guarantee, at this distance, seem somewhat Ratner-esque in this regard.

Besides, mine is a Wadia based system, not Naim.

Cassette. Eight track per-chance?
    One less luddite opinion to bother with then! 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

<tannoy> This is a colleague announcement. Would SFB and ernie lynch please pick up their handbags from the god thread and make their way over to the stereo cable thread as soon as possible please. Thank you. <tannoy>

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Which rather begs the question: how many are posting here about audiophile things but at the very same time are listening to something with more than 2 front (stereo) speakers?
    (bangs head against brick wall)

Oh come on, you mean you've never tried decent 5.1 audio, with a choice of audience or stage location? http://www.itrax.com/

But forget it, I'm just a luddite. I imagine with you it's all about having all the technology & no taste? Is that what I should aspire to?

higgo
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

music sounds more like music

that's inspired!

Clubber Bikes ride more like bikes than any other brand

I'll be rich!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Of course, as I said, two systems.
    5.1 music is, well, not stereo and not good enough.

Hadge
    Free Member

Mighty Higs what a laugh, pmsl. Typical bullshit come from the land with no history. People like that want stringing up by the short and curlys. Is Jonathan Valin an anagram for total w@@ker? It's a shame that geunine hi-fi manufacturers suffer abuse they don't deserve when there are idiots like that spouting utter bollox and trying rip people off.

Ti29er
    Free Member

No chance of owning the Hi-end stuff but you have to just love the dedication, persuit of excellence and craftmanship.
    Based in Nottingham.

Then there's thisThen there's this.
    If after all this you are left non-plussed, then , fine, but if you are looking for "more", then, in response to the very original post, yes, directional cables can and do make a difference if all other factors (as previous covered) are present.

Enjoy.

csb

Ye gods that horn speaker is ugly. There's no way my other half would let that monstrosity in our house. It's like something out of a Jim Carrey film.

For the record I went home and reversed the directional cables according to the manufacturer instructions. I didn't hear any difference but slept soundly knowing that I'm earning hifi karma points.

On reflection, I think there could have been a difference but it's difficult to say what with the digibox whirring away in one corner of the room and the heating clonking into life.

higgo
    Free Member

Ti29er said … "directional cables can and do make a difference if all other factors (as previous covered) are present."

Can you substantiate that claim with robust scientific evidence?

Ti29er
    Free Member

And… it's Russ Andrews?
    Sounds like many a poster is also a secret Halford's purchaser.
    Would you, given the money, skills and ability buy, say a Jones?
    Or are you a Carrera Man?
    There are, like it or not, direct parrallels, albeit, at opposite ends.

The Mighty. So lost are you that you want scientific evidence! Sad. Have you learned not one thing from here? Open your mind, try the kit, borrow the kit, loan the kit and if you are still hear no improvement, retire back to LidditeVille.

SME – Drools into the carpet. Wants to move back to valve and LP's but is still in mountain-bike mode.

Hadge
    Free Member

SME30/12 – ooh err! Would like to listen to one but will have to make do with my LP12. I've tried a few high-end TT's (Avid/Michel Orbe etc) and prefer the older LP12 musicality compared to the Avids sound. From what I gather the new Radical'ed LP12 sounds very much like the newer breed of TT's and if that's the case I'll stick with my modest LP12 combo and the point being I'm happy with it as it's me who listens to it, not anyone else.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The Mighty. So lost are you that you want scientific evidence! Sad.

I'd have agreed with you, but baby jesus told me not to.

funkynick

Ti29er… aaaah, so only those enlightened ones can hear the difference between directional and normal cables? Doesn't that remind anyone of the Emporer's New Clothes? :o)

PS. wanna buy some directional chain lube?

higgo
    Free Member

The Mighty. So lost are you that you want scientific evidence! Sad

That'll be the scientist in me coming out again.

If you want to tell me that having directional speaker cable enhances your enjoyment while listening to music, that's fine. Just don't state, as fact, that they 'do make a difference'. Because they don't.

ransos
    Free Member

You have to laugh at the audiophool accusations of closed minds. I'm completely prepared to accept that cables can make a difference to sound quality. Just bring me a double-blind test that proves it.

Simples.

Hadge
    Free Member

It's not about being enlightened funkynick, it's just the same as those who swear by expensive wine and those who get by with a £6 bottle. I've no desire to try a £100 bottle as I probably couldn't tell the difference and so £94 will stay in my pocket and I'll still get drunk. I also like watching Masterchef but I swear my mums Sunday Roast would beat any of that fine dining crap they have on their because it's got "big flavours" and "bags of taste" and it's what I like! This is one of those debates that will go on and on…………..

MrAgreeable

What do the audiophiles do when they want to listen to music in the car?

Do they have a hermetically sealed cockpit with special noise baffles, and a spatial modelling pre-amp that converts the acoustic characteristics of a Mondeo into the great hall of Worms Cathedral? Just wondering, like. 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

I guess they listen to music. Me, I prefer to put the window down and listen to the straight 6 noise my engine makes 🙂
    I also think personally no car stereo can compete with a hi-fi set up in a house so have no desire to try either.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They put their fingers in ther ears and shout 'la-la-la-la'

funkynick

Hadge… all of which I wouldn't argue about, as each of those are entirely subjective and down to someones personal tastes. So if you are saying these cables are entirely subjective then I'd agree with you there too…

The problem comes with comments like those from Ti29er, stating that there is definitely a difference and if you can't hear one then you must be a luddite.

Hadge
    Free Member

I do think that as I've no proof. My proof is my hearing and my taste buds which has to be subjective and it's something I've always believed even after over 25 years of buying decent kit. I could be tone deaf (something I've been told after people hearing me sing lol) and besides I used to shoot full-bore pistols and rifles so I doubt my hearing is tip top anyway!

higgo
    Free Member

The problem comes with comments like those from Ti29er, stating that there is definitely a difference and if you can't hear one then you must be a luddite.

It's one thing to call people luddites but 'secret Halford's purchaser' (sic) is beyond the pale. 😥

Ti29er
    Free Member

OK.
    I retract the HALFORD'S slurr.
    But the analogy is close.
    Music in the car. Luddites!

It's difficult to convey these ideas without you following some simple guidence, but beyond this, it's like banging ones head against (Halford's) out side walls.

If you don't make the effort or want to make a difference, then you will simply never understand. Other than that, best ride your bike and enjoy would be my advice as you can but lead a horse to water…..

uplink
    Free Member

If you don't make the effort or want to make a difference, then you will simply never understand.

I get it – it only exists if to want to believe?

Like Santa?

MrAgreeable

Music in the car. Luddites!

You prefer a nice game of "I spy" instead? 🙂

TerryWrist
    Free Member

What you have to remember with Ti29er is that he INVENTED 29er bikes in this country. And if you don't like them you are an idiot.

And he has a lovely Lynskey Ti bike. If you dont like this you are an idiot.

Oh, hang on its an On One.

But it is the best bike EVER.

I believe you have ridden every bike EVER as well to come to this conclusion?

Pleased to see you put as much effort into wiring up your tape decks and that.

Because you've never fallen for marketing hype, oh no………..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

What do the audiophiles do when they want to listen to music in the car?

Do they have a hermetically sealed cockpit with special noise baffles, and a spatial modelling pre-amp that converts the acoustic characteristics of a Mondeo into the great hall of Worms Cathedral? Just wondering, like

http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/bentley_brooklands/naim/

ooOOoo
    Free Member

But how many concerts are held in a 4x2x1m box?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, at the risk of getting my leg bitten off by voracious red-fanged Woppit hunters as I put my toe back in the water…

I get the feeling that the "nay-sayers" here are relying on the unmeasurability factor (the science) without actually having had the experience of listening to a high-end stereo music Hifi system, whilst the "yay-sayers" are relying on having had the experience with said level of equipment, despite being aware of the lack of science.

I suspect that's probably how it's going to stay.

I'm off for a drive in the Bentley.

Toodle-pip!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Damn I had been waiting to see what RichPenny had to say on all this

Sorry Rich, happy to talk about it privately, though tbh listening to music is always going to be more interesting!

grumm
    Free Member

I get the feeling that the "nay-sayers" here are relying on the unmeasurability factor (the science) without actually having had the experience of listening to a high-end stereo music Hifi system, whilst the "yay-sayers" are relying on having had the experience with said level of equipment, despite being aware of the lack of science.

Hadge
    Free Member

I've never used the science, I've used my ears. I've used Krells, Audio Research amps, Apogee speakers plus owned/own high-end Naim amps and Linn LP12's with various arms/PSU's and I still don't get very expensive interconnects or speaker cable. I've even had conversations with Mr Linn himself during one listening session whereupon he slated the very room his and Naims equipment was being used! I do understand soundstage, stereo imagery etc and like I said, I bought what I liked even over "recommended" stuff. Yes some people will get it and some won't and those that have never tried should at least give it a go with an open mind. Just as I always have done when auditioning any new piece of kit, even those I had no intention of buying.

MrAgreeable

I'm off for a drive in the Bentley.

Don't forget to retrieve your CDs from the fridge. 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

aaaaah, STW. The only place on the interweb apart from a hifi forum where you could get 6 pages of posts on cables…

I love you guys!

grumm
    Free Member

I get the feeling that the "nay-sayers" here are relying on the unmeasurability factor (the science) without actually having had the experience of God's love, whilst the "yay-sayers" are relying on having had the experience of God's love, despite being aware of the lack of science.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Mr Linn"? who the hell is Mr Linn? 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

jahwomble!!!! Who is Mr Linn!!!!!! Pmsl. It's this chap here – but you knew that anyway didn't you 😆

jahwomble
    Free Member

do you mean Ivor Tiefenbrun?:)

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?’ is closed to new replies.