Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hi fi advice – old MS speakers
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a pair of Mordaunt Short floorstanders dating from early 90s.
    I know MS are now part of Richer Sounds, but anybody know if they were any good prior to that?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve got some from about that era, and they’re fantastic. Lovely sound; were better than all the other ones I tried in the shop.

j_me
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of MS25i floor standers, really good IMO and still going after 15 years.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Which model are they?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have the same ones as j-me. 🙂

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m still using a pair of MS510 shelf monitors. At the time I bought them, I compared them with usual Mission/Tannoy/etc. models around the same price and found the 510s to be comparatively neutral through their range – a distinct advantage, in my opinion. I use them with a passive MS subwoofer to help bolster the bottom-end throughout a room, but they sound very nice indeed (for what they are) as reference speakers positioned at ear-height either side of my desk. I’d not hesitate to buy MS speakers from that era.

footflaps

still using MS15s from 1987…

geetee1972
    Free Member

MS are one of those underrated brands. These speakers, from the top of their range, won glowing reviews from all the HiFi press; comments like ‘think of this not as a £3500 speaker, but as a £10,000 speaker that someone priced incorrectly’ were written at the time of their release.

My first ever serious HiFi included a set of MS10is, which I bought in 1995 and until March this year, were still being used by my brother:

glenh
    Free Member

I have a pair of ms25i on my home cinema system. They are quite reasonable.

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

My MS 814 floorstanders purchased in ’98 are still going strong and as good sounding as ever.

martymac

got a pair of MS05’s here, been using them since 1995, they still sound lovely.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

got a pair of Ms 10is and a pair of bigger post bigger richer sounds floor standers. No problems.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I was outbid 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hi fi advice – old MS speakers’ is closed to new replies.