Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hi-elp: Dumbo Stripped threads on Shimano Caliper-whats my options?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

:twisted:I’ve had sticky piston since day one, had to readjust my caliper contantly which has led to the threads falling out!

(Torque wrenched tight to 6Nm.)

Would a helicoil be safe?

Tempted to buy another caliper (doh!) on a Sunday in Bristol???

I thought of using longer bolts and put nuts on the end but safety I might just fork out my savings and buy a new one.

Gutted.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! idiot!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helicoils are stronger than the original thread

Post mount or IS mount? Which thread is stripped?

tails
    Free Member

christ you really are having some problems with your bike. shimano are post mount right? so what needs helicoil? surely you either buy new adaptor or you’ve buggered your fork legs

zaskar
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s an IS mount

and it’s the Brake caliper

(Top bolt turning and little bits of thread on my shoes!

Been quoted £65 for a caliper.

If the helicoil service costs half of that then I’d buy the caliper.

zaskar
    Free Member

Fork seems fine. It’s the caliper threads.

Normally I am quite experienced and good with mechanics just some bad luck.

Stripped and serviced my road bike-no probs.

Bloody fork and brake left me without a xc club ride too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IS mount (must be an old caliper) then its a thread in the caliper and a plain hole in the fork leg. Helicoils will be an awful lot less than £65 – from a local engineering shop or possible DIY but you have to buy a kit and tools.

Less than £20 at a guessfrom an engineering shop. Its only a five minuted job.

This is why I don’t like torque wrenches for bikes – the bolt has been overtightened despite the torque wrench to strip the thread

markenduro
    Free Member

Buy this:

http://www.cycling2000.co.uk/products/january_sale/brakes_disc_cable_pads/2831
    this will work with your existing lever, flog the rotor on here and make most of your money back.

zaskar
    Free Member

I use a low power specific bike torque wrench and sometimes hand tight (6Nm).

Old? it’s an XTR 975 TJ on Reba both 2007>.

I should have have got post mount.

£20 is cheaper than £60 -cheers for the info.

mrmo
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zaskar – excuse my ignorance – I thought Shitmano had made only post mount for years. My apologies. Still make their components from recycled cheese tho I see.

coatesy
    Free Member

You can buy your own helecoil kit for £28ish from tooled-up.com ,more than enough to do your caliper, and then flog it on to the next person with stripped threads on here

zaskar
    Free Member

@TandemJeremy -yep They make Post mount gear and use brackets to convert it to IS but it depends on the grouping you use. And you’re right about cheese-I guess it has to be light from Aluminum but if it wasn’t for the dodgy piston it would be fine as the rear is perfect-never fettled-yet!

@coatesy -I’d never flog without telling them or if it wasn’t strong enough I’d sell it for spares or use the seals etc. Safety first-me or the buyer! I would never sell a knackered thread caliper-morals y’know!

coatesy
    Free Member

sorry, was talking of flogging on the kit, not the caliper.Never even thought about anyone taking it that way.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I understood what you meant coatesy 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

@Coatsey – I got what you meant too – not a bad idea that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What about tapping the bolt hole out to the next size up? Obviously depends on whether the frame mount has enough metal to take a larger bolt through the hole as well.

brant
    Free Member

I thought of using longer bolts and put nuts on the end

Thats what I’d do.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sunset in Cardiff put an insert in my caliper (I’m guessing that’s what you mean by helicoil) for about £15 I think, along with a disc brake facing when I did the same thing. There’s not a lot of material on an XTR caliper, so it’s easy to do.

Prior to that tho I’d just put a nut and bolt on, which worked fine too.

zaskar
    Free Member

Just ordered a new caliper after looking at prices for kits.

Will stick this threadless one to an old bike one day using longer bolts to the rear of the frame.

Thanks for the tips.

I think £30 for a thread kit and £60 for a new one was best for me. Bloody bills. 😈

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hi-elp: Dumbo Stripped threads on Shimano Caliper-whats my options?’ is closed to new replies.