Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hi all my first post, some advice needed
  • racingrob
    Free Member

Been riding two years now and am looking for my first full suspension bike, looking at giant trance. Or a special pitch or maybe stump jumper budget around 1500 any thoughts ? Any thing to stay away from?

meehaja
    Free Member

forget that. Steel, singlespeed, whiskey, beard.

dogthomson

I’d say go out and try as many different bikes as possible as sizing can difer significantly betwen brands, as can the various suspension platforms. To play Devil’s advocate have you though about going for a hardtail instead? You could get a cracking hardtail for that sort of money!

carbon337
    Free Member

the pitch is great

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Don’t post this is your 1st post 😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

boardman maybe, cracking value; otherwise agree with dogt..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I rode a full suss for 10 years but I find I prefer a hardtail now 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Meehaja agree with all other than whiskey it should be whisky 😉

(Preferably an Islay lol)

carbon337
    Free Member

And just to be a WUM, hardtails are crap. They aren’t good no matter how many old men tell you they are.

You want a FS get a FS dont let these lot tell you otherwise

racingrob
    Free Member

Wow thanks for the fast responses, i have ridden a trek 6 series so far, and thought that the next step would be a dual suspension model, I’m interested in the pro hard tail responses, what brings longtermers back to hard tails?

racingrob
    Free Member

Lol carbon, what would your pick of my shortlist be ? Or an alternative ?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

meehaja forgot to add some other things you ‘need’:

Audi (to carry your new bike); niche and crackly classic hi-fi equipment, overpriced (to ‘impress’ a certain sect); and a flash, again overpriced, watch (to never wear, but to endlessly harp on about on here). 😀

Other than that, definitely test-ride as many as possible, as thomson said, even if it’s only around the block to get a feel of sizing.

…and other than THAT, welcome aboard!

firestarter
    Free Member

Audi I thought skoda Octavia was what the cool cats rolled 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what brings longtermers back to hard tails?

not having to maintain the rear suss components
    no need to go so fast to get a thrill on downhills so they last longer
    easier to ride uphill

Any thing to stay away from?

STW forum.

racingrob
    Free Member

Yeah rear shock set up is the thing that most conceRns me about going fs probably a total noob thing to say,thanks for the advice on sizing I did find a variety of different sized 18 inch bikes when buying my trek, I’m all audied up but what are these cool watches?

bellerophon
    Free Member

simonfbarnes

so they last longer
    easier to ride uphill

espcially when perched behind a nice bottom

carbon337
    Free Member

no need to go so fast to get a thrill on downhills so they last longer

see what i mean racingrob, I like the pitch but the Trance is good too.

bellerophon
    Free Member

but what are these cool watches?

casio it would seem

firestarter
    Free Member

I find my full sus climbs better than my ht but I prefer the ht at trail centers or rocky rides, but for big rides in The real hills its full sus every time for me

james
    Free Member

Pitch is going to be more downhill biased?
    Though obviously it depends how uphill/downhill biased you want the bike to be?

Giant Trance X, Specialized Camber/Stumpjumper FSR, Trek Fuel EX sort of bikes are relatively middle ground full suss bikes in terms of up and down ability

Where/what do you and where/what do you want to be able to ride?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

espcially when perched behind a nice bottom

too right :o)

racingrob
    Free Member

Mainly trail centres bit of downhill, nothing to heavy thats why was thinking stump jumper really

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I don’t know the first thing about bikes but just thought I would say a little hello and welcome 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Pitch is great but it is very much for slowly winching up climbs then ragging it back down. I love mine.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

trance

Try to get rides before you decide.

And welcome.

Dancake
    Free Member

Buy something because you like how it looks and not how it rides. Sell at a loss and get a 456 because someone once said it was a “hardcore hartail” and you thought that sounded cool. Then a 29er ‘cos they look cool . Its like drugs. nove on to a 69er because the 29er wasnt stupid enough. Realise you didnt actually mind the FS that much..in fact it was the best bike you ever had. replace it, but with a much lower spec. Enjoy riding again. Dont cry over the hundreds and hundred of lost pounds

montylikesbeer

ss with steel and no sus…………………its the future

racingrob
    Free Member

Thanks for all the welcomes, lol dan i take it your speaking from experience, sorry to open this up again but i have spied an enduro on the forum which looks nice and well within my budget at 850, is it to much bike for a first fs bike?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hi all my first post, some advice needed’ is closed to new replies.