Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hgv blind spots
  • petrieboy

Is there a reason why modern trucks are not built with the cab right down ahead of the front wheels like they are on airport tow vehicles? Surely that would solve most of the blind spot issues at a stroke?

BigJohn

Those signs “If you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you” fill me with rage.

Get some bigger mirrors then, or invest in a rear view camera. £100 would sort it.

Kuco

The cameras i’ve had experience with if the suns shining on the rear view cameras you can’t see **** all.

Muke
    Free Member

Been posted b4 but worth another look…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzL0Kyk4m-8[/video]

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Turning circle, it will make the vehicle longer.
    also it wont cure the blind spot problem down the sides.

milky1980
    Free Member

Simple answer.

To maximise the load space. HGV’s are limited to a maximum length for the tractor unit and the trailer. The more goods you can fit in that space, the more you can earn per load etc, etc.

And yes, those cameras are useless in glaring sun. Those annoying HID headlights can blind them out too.

project
    Free Member

TFL designed one looks like a bin loirry, which have low steps so the loaders dont need to climb up and in, some also have folding doors like pacer trains or buses.

LGV,s are also governed by length and weight add more length on the front and you also increase the weight due to the chasis, the reason why LGV, cabs are so high is to to sit on top of the engine, as opposed to in front of it.

project
    Free Member

milky beat me to it.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Those signs “If you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you” fill me with rage.

Me too, because they aren’t true!

If the car driver is driving close to the kerbside, but the lorry driver is more over against the white line, the car driver will see none of the lorries mirrors, but the lorry driver will clearly see the car out of his nearside mirror.

soundninjauk

It has always seemed weird to me that HGV cabs are designed with such poor vision. I sat in one a couple of months ago as part of a police thing in London, and was simply blown away by how much I couldn’t see.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m equally blown away by the sheer number of people on bikes who seem to love putting themselves right in those blind spots.

If you can safely get ahead at the lights, do so. Make eye contact with driver if need be. Get away quickly.

If you can’t get past before the lights change, WAIT! Sit back. Let them go straight on, or turn. If they start turning left, that ISN’T your cue to dash up the inside.

Everyone on the roads is responsible for the safety of everyone on the roads.

petrieboy

I wonder if the length issue couldn’t be mitigated by moving the engine and front wheels back under the trailer so its only the cab out in front. Might even make it shorter? Rear facing cameras on the leading edge of the trailer to catch the outside edge blind spot when turning and one on the rear for reversing and we are good to go??

muddodger
    Free Member

TBH I’ve lost all faith in ‘professional drivers’ since a wagon driver where I work managed to hit a bright orange Fork Lift Truck, and this was whilst driving forwards.
    I shudder to think of the damage these things could cause.

*Apologies to any HGV drivers that would be able to see a bright orange thing parked where it was supposed to be.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I agree with the Captain. Safety and awareness has to be a two way balance. Cars, motorcycles, pedestrians, HGVs and cyclists. I drive HGVs for a living but thankfully work in agricultural haulage so have very little need to drive through major city centres. I have in the past though and one winter’s evening rush hour in the middle of Cambridge in particular was absolutely terrifying. With bikes, some with no lights skipping and weaving in and out of the traffic.
    I agree trucks are optimised for their load carrying ability but their view on the whole is always improving.
    When you first sit in a lorry, even now getting into a new cab the mirrors seem inadequate but once you’ve become used to the feel of the machine you’ll find them generally to have better all round visibility than a car or van.
    Yes, there is that blind spot but we should all be aware of it. Constant vigilance by the driver coupled with raised awareness of the public (the “If I can’t see you” signs”) go a long way.

get some bigger mirrors then

The mirrors themselves cause another major blind spot. Especially when approaching roundabouts

garage-dweller

One of the problems with ANY motorised vehicle is that it has blind spots. They are an unfortunate consequence of putting roofs and windows or freight and people in them. My mark5 golf could nearly disappear a swb transit off the rear quarter at one particular angle, only for a second but its long enough.

Even with a glassy car (big estate) a cyclist can all but vanish for a second or two at a time. Classic example would be just left of the car by the c pillar. Factor in the pillars and headrests.

Getting round this requires two things. 1 – Regular vigilance by the driver to know the bike WAS there and to keep looking for it until it reappears. 2 – the cyclist to give some thought to their approach angle, where they stop and what the driver can most likely see.

If you are on the road you have a duty to take the same care you expect of others for your own safety.

I spend lots of time talking to my son (4) about making himself visible. Showing him him what can and cant be seen from a car or a van. I pray that this sets him up well for when he goes independent. Having seen the road sense of other kids round here i cannot believe many parents invest in this. In fact I doubt many of them have tas much road sense as him based on the south’s roads.

molgrips
    Free Member

LGV,s are also governed by length and weight add more length on the front and you also increase the weight due to the chasis, the reason why LGV, cabs are so high is to to sit on top of the engine, as opposed to in front of it.

So presumably in the USA they are allowed longer lengths so can put a gigantic engine out in front?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hgv blind spots’ is closed to new replies.