Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • HTC One vs Iphone
  • Danno72
    Free Member

So got an iphone 4 and I’m due an upgrade. Not really a fan of the IOS 7 and heard good things about the HTC one. Part of me just wants to say F@£k it and get the HTC and a little bit of me is saying stay with what you know. I have an apple laptop and was wondering if there are any issues linking/communicating with the HTC. Any one had both phones?

takisawa2

HTC OneX+ here, after several other HTC’s before it.
    My next phone will be an iPhone.
    The OneX+ has been a let down. Latest Android just doesn’t seem to have improved in any way. Not sure what I was expecting if I’m honest.
    Latest iPhone software seems really polished, if that’s the right word.

thedude
    Free Member

I just got the iphone 5s. Loving the new slow mo and burst camera modes. I like that apple controls its software and hardware and everyone gets their updates at the same time. If I went android it would be a nexus 5.

Haze

Happy One X+ user here!

Not tried an iPhone though, sorry OP.

seavers
    Free Member

It really depends on what you want from your phone and how much you sync it with your apple laptop.

I have always used Android phones HTC, LG, Samsung etc and they are great, Jelly Bean was nice to use. However I recently jumped ship and went to an iPhone. The reason being I have an iMac, iPad so it just makes things so much easier when syncing calenders, contacts etc.

The great thing about Android is that you have much more influence on how it looks and works on the phone. I really enjoyed playing with that aspect. When it came to it though what I wanted was a phone I could use on the go that would easily sync with all my other devices without me spending ages trying to find a work around. What I am saying is, if your phone is just your phone and you like to play with it go for android (Nexus 5 would be the better choice though). If you need your devices to hook up easily and you can’t be arsed with finding a way to make stuff work get another iPhone.

It’s all really personal and I don’t subscribe to one thing verses another fan boy stuff. I have an Android tablet and a windows laptop in the mix and enjoy using them just as much as the apple stuff.

jobless
    Free Member

I take it you have decided against the Samsung S4? if you have discounted that for whatever reason, then the HTC is about the same as the iphone 5s for a lot less money (in terms of performance). 5c is no better than a 5 and was only a marginal upgrade over the 4.

just my few cents which are not worth a lot in the grand scheme of things.

muggomagic

The stock android is pretty much sorted now though you don’t need to tinker with the phone like you probably did pre jelly bean. Though you can if you want. Htc’s new sense is meant to be pretty good and apparently they’ve committed to rolling out KitKat update by the end of November for the HTC one.
    I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned just depends on your budget and what’s available.

Danno72
    Free Member

seavers Some really good points you’ve raised there. I only really sync my calendar which is google, so would this not sync anyway with the HTC from my mac? Also my bookmarks in chrome? I hate itunes and getting away from that would be a massive bonus to me but what do you use for an android on a mac?

rudedog
    Free Member

You could upload all your music to google play music – you can play it from any android device or a PC/Mac via browser (I think they are launching an iOS app for it too)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but what do you use for an android on a mac?

Nothing really. It doesn’t long to be plugged in it all happens over the air. I haven’t plugged my s3 in since I got it and everything is synced. I manage it through a browser and my online acounts.

roverpig

Not sure why a dislike of itunes should be a barrier to using an iphone. I’ve not connected either of my last two iphones (4S and now 5S) to a computer for years.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPhone 5 and I bloody hate it. On my second now after the top button stopped working on the previous one.

The battery life is rubbish – this is the breaker for me. I don’t use my phone during the day much yet its out of battery by 5pm.
    It frequently crashes out of aps
    IOS 7 is terrible

Danno72
    Free Member

Not sure why a dislike of itunes should be a barrier to using an iphone. I’ve not connected either of my last two iphones (4S and now 5S) to a computer for years.

How do you load music on your iphone without using itunes connected or not to a pc/mac? What player do you use on your phone for music?

monkeychild
    Free Member

My Mrs has just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 (after much raving about it from her Sis and Bro), I have an iPhone 4S. I personally find the Samsung sluggish and Android clunky (switching between apps). I wanted to like Android as well 🙁

Danno72
    Free Member

You could upload all your music to google play music – you can play it from any android device or a PC/Mac via browser (I think they are launching an iOS app for it too)

Do you need wi/fi or 3g connection to use it?

Haze

Do you need wi/fi or 3g connection to use it?

Yes, though you can ‘keep’ selected music on each device.

montarius
    Free Member

I have a HTC One (personal) and iPhone 5 (work). Lets just say I love my HTC and hate the iphone.

My main issue is the lack of customisation / widgets on the iphone. Everything just seems locked down in comparison.

The HTC is perfect for me. Its great to hold, the screen is stunning, its unbelievably fast, scrolling through websites or emails is very smooth, etc etc.

I also like that a lot of the top paid apps on iPhone are free on Android.

My previous phone was a S2 and GF has the S4. Ok phones but appeals more for younger kids as everything is soft, rounded and colorful (ie not very sharp). Hope that makes sense…?

roverpig

How do you load music on your iphone without using itunes connected or not to a pc/mac? What player do you use on your phone for music?

I guess I must have used itunes at some point (years ago), but now I just buy albums from the store on the phone itself and they are all matched in the cloud somewhere. So, I can access any of the thousands of tracks in my music collection on any of my devices (including the pc with itunes I guess, although I never do). I can download then to the phone and delete them again (without losing them).

I guess, if you are being pedantic, I’m still using a version of itunes on the phone, but my point is that I haven’t connected the phone to a computer (or used itunes on the PC) for years and it all just works.

Of course, I’m sure that you can do all the same stuff under Android.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Flange – if your iPhone5 is crashing all the time in ios7 it’s faulty and Apple will replace it.

I had a similar issue with my 5 – nice and stable in ios6 crashy and unreliable in 7. Made a genius bar appointment, the guy looked at the phone, said there were no crash logs so it was impossible to diagnose the issue. He then offered a replacement on the spot. My phone was 11 months old.

The new 5 I have has excellent battery life – I’m a fairly heavy user and get more than a day out of mine (Cyclemeter morning/evening and listening to music throughout the day)

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been an iPhone user since they first came out and fancied trying something different when my contract was up for renewal so bought an HTC One.
    The HTC took a bit of getting used to at first due to the different menus and features and despite using it for about 5 months I still really can’t get on with it. One of the biggest problems for me is that the calendar doesn’t sync very well, it will receive but not send emails from my iCloud email account and it seems to freeze up or crash regularly, none of which were an issue with the iPhone.
    As a result I’ve bought an iPhone which will hopefully be arriving today so I can get rid of this awful HTC!

spooky_b329

4yrs of HTC Desire and Nexus 4 here. Just been given an iPhone 4s for work and pretty underwhelmed…it feels more dated than my Desire, and I don’t like that each screen just looks like a menu whereas Android has a desktop with widgets and lesser used stuff tucked away in the menu.

prawny

I went from an old HTC desire to an iphone 4 and regretted it soon after. the iphone lasted 4 months before i sold it and bought a galaxy s2 then an s3.

I’ve got ipads, but I’m not going to go back to an iphone when I can get a nexus for half the price.

freeagent
    Free Member

I have an S3 (personal) and iPhone5 (work)
    I don’t like the iPhone, and now our company has approved Android phones – my iPhone might be getting dropped in the dock at some point!

Haze

Bit of a mixed bag then…

jobless
    Free Member

Smoothsync for could remove the issue of calendar sync – it will sync all your calendars onto your phone and vice versa. its pretty good. Been using it a while now with no issues. there is a version for contacts too.

Music – BlinkboxMusic lets you stream music via 3/4g/wifi but crucially you can download your favourite stations to listen to offline (like on the tube). hey presto – itunes is no longer needed. Like others have said you can upload all your music to google is you really want to go that route.

flange
    Free Member

P8ddy

Cheers, I’ve just had mine replaced but will try it again. I also need to get my iPad mini replaced as that does something similar and keeps dropping wifi.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you have a macbook I would stick with the iPhone

The 5S will be a massive leap forward from the 4. I like iOS7, it does seem to have a few quirks/issues but the improvements far outweigh these and any issues will be resolved. As for “customising widgets” I don’t even know what this is and I don’t feel I need to change the look of the phone any more than adding wallpaper.

chrishc777
    Free Member

HTC one mini here and love it. bear in mind that the one is huge though

beanum

I have an HTC One mini too and am very happy. I haven’t had an iPhone for years and I couldn’t go back for two main reasons, the lack of screen widgets and the inability to swipe when typing.

The Mini is more or less the same size as the 5s and with the power saver mode on it lasts for three days without a charge (and minimal usage).

I wasn’t impressed with the stock HTC software for syncing music from my PC though. I don’t have a Mac so no idea how/if that would work…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As for “customising widgets” I don’t even know what this is and I don’t feel I need to change the look of the phone any more than adding wallpaper.

Things such as a larger clock with weather built in, 6 clocks with all the time zones I need for work displayed, full page calendar, Facebook and Twitter live feed, a Spotify or other music player, list of upcoming meetings and loads more. Loads of applications for ditching the rigid grid of apps as a front screen. You still get all that behind in the menu.

spacemonkey

iP4 user here for over 3 yrs. Previously had Android and Win phones.

Been due an upgrade for ages but opted against the 5 and am now veering towards a 5s. Have looked at loads of HTCs and the S4 but still don’t like the look and feel of the little green alien. I know you can customise it (including making the front end look all iOS ish) but that’s still not enough for me.

Horses for courses an’ all that.

The other problem is that the house we’re hoping to move to has no coverage with the major carriers, so if I’m to upgrade through Vodafone we’ll need a Sure Signal box. And if that turns out to be sh1t then I don’t want to be stumped with a contract and no work-from-home signal.

Danno72
    Free Member

This all brilliant feed back! I read one and think thats it I’m getting an HTC, then read the next and I’m sticking with apple. So is Google play just an Android version of itunes? Are there any good music player apps for Android? Still leaning towards the HTC at his stage though. Keep them coming!

myti
    Free Member

I have the same dilemma and after reading this i’m leaning towards an HTC one mini as it will cost me less on my monthly contract.

widge34
    Free Member

I went from a Galaxy S3 to a S4 now to an Iphone 5s. I love the iPhone. its my first iPhone although i have had an iMac for years and a iPad. i did like android but didnt like samsungs bloated software on top of it. HTC sense will be the same. Also ios 7 is far more secure than Android, apps are scrutinised more through Apple. i also prefer the 4″ screen to the 5″. Easier to use one handed. If i had to go back to android i would go for the new Nexus 5. Its pure android, no manufacturers bloatware and sim free for £300. I should also add that I find the battery life as good on my iPhone as it was on S4.

Danno72
    Free Member

Just ordered a new HTC One. Thanks for all your posts.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I didn’t want an Iphone but ended up with one after my Nokia windows phone wouldn’t connect reliably to my car bluetooth hands free system.

I have to say I was really upset exchanging my nice windows phone for an iphone 4s but, after a few months use the Iphone just works. I was converted.

Since sold that and bought a 64Gb version so its crammed with loads of music and apps now.

i still hate Itunes though so use Copy trans to shift music etc onto the handset from any computer I like.

mangatank
    Free Member

I went from owning every previous iPhone to the HTC One and I’m really happy with it. The speakers and screen make all the difference. Android 4.3 is excellent too.

Things to watch out for:

The white resin is prone to staining, especially on the back. Be careful about the case you put it in. I line mine with a cut-out of thin cellophane and this resolves the issue.

Don’t buy HTC screen protectors. They don’t fit!! . Get the FoneM8 ones from amazon. They work perfectly.

The Proporta case is excellent and made from real leather. The Stilgut case is quite good but probably not real leather despite it claiming to be. Both these cases need lining. Avoid the HTC double dip case, it’ll damage the phone! The HTC flip case is good but does stain the resin.

Other than all that, it’s a superb phone. You’ll love it!

Danno72
    Free Member

coolhandluke

thanks mate. Really looking forward to getting hands on with it. Next question is what are the Best apps?

tymbian
    Free Member

Handyman calculator. Used often.

mangatank
    Free Member

Google’s own My Tracks is the best phone gps I’ve seen, and its free! A must have game is Survivalcraft, a Minecraft clone that’s better than the original. Another good game is Monster Pinball.

Check out these live wallpapers too: forestHD, OceanHD, sunbeam, A Wave live wallpaper, and space colony.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘HTC One vs Iphone’ is closed to new replies.