• This topic has 95 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fin25.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Heya… So.. Fat bikes??
  • Northwind

slowboydickie – Member

I love my fatty. I bought one with a 170 rear hub which limits me to a 4.4 tyre. If I bought again I would go for a 190 or 197 hub.

Yah, I really feel like bikes that won’t take a 4.8 are getting left behind- some of the best rubber doesn’t come in smaller sizes and if fat is good then fatter is better, right? I still have some 4.0s but I need to run higher pressure in them and it’s all just generally less ridiculous.

If you want a fatbike for sensible utility reasons then different rules apply I’m sure but if you just like dicking about on stupid bikes then more is more. Love my minions.

chivalry
    Free Member

just out of curiosity oink1 … how tall are you and hows the small feel? 😀
    if your running the X01 groupset then its the 1 x 11 .. ? how is the lowest gear for climbing? miss your granny ring? 🙂

oink1
    Free Member

chivalry – Member
    just out of curiosity oink1 … how tall are you and hows the small feel?
    if your running the X01 groupset then its the 1 x 11 .. ? how is the lowest gear for climbing? miss your granny ring?

Im about 5’7″ on my right leg – 5’6″ on the left (long story involving an MG metro and my ZXR750!) Haven’t really tackled any major ‘ups’ on it yet but I can’t say i’ve missed the granny. The small suits me fine 🙂 The only thing I don’t like is the chainline but this seems to be the case with all 1 x 11 set ups.

chivalry
    Free Member

Ouch.. You still ride?.. Got an old school bandit 1200 (with carbs!!!!) with 1 or 2 mods.. Keeps me in smiles… Lol..
    Judging by that and what others have said.. At 5 9″ the medium is looking perfect.. 😀

NormalMan

Sorry. I asked the budget then forgot to post back here. Anyway, looks like you’ve had plenty of feedback since.

You seem to have found what you are looking for too.

I did the search for a fat bike thing this time last year (including joining the really helpful UK fat bike site).
    Although I wanted something very different. Old school/ traditional / adventure (or whatever you’d call it) geometry. So ended up with my Pug.

I’d recommend a decent tyre pressure gauge too as playing around with tyre pressures and seeing what works for you is part of the fun.

All the best with the new purchase when it happens. Enjoy.

rickmeister

Something not mentioned so far, if you change from SRAM stuff, to shimano, then the free hub will need changing as well…

I think…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not cycle2work as far as I’m aware, but for £1469, I think the look and spec of the Canyon Dude CF 8.0 is lovely! 😈
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/dude/dude-cf-8-0.html

Just noticed the 2017 Cube Nutrail has the new 4.4″ Jumbo Jims, https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-nutrail-2017-mountain-bike-EV287448

fin25
    Free Member

I’m with Northwind, make sure whatever you get has clearance for 4.8 tyres, because 4.0 tyres are fun, but 4.8s are more funerer.

mudplugga
    Free Member

Got the frame for £85 with a code off here!
    Great fun but crap in mud. Runs specialized 4.8s with no clearance issues.

roverpig

I’m with Northwind, make sure whatever you get has clearance for 4.8 tyres, because 4.0 tyres are fun, but 4.8s are more funerer.

Yes, I tested a Surly Wednesday (4″) and an Ice Cream Truck (5″). I decided that the Wednesday was definitely the more sensible option, so brought the Truck 🙂

chivalry
    Free Member

Arse… Lol.. Last minute decision change.. Found a 2016 cube nutrail race reduced from 2k to 1600.. 2×11 xt.. 4.4 tyres.. Bluto… Cubes Dropper post.. (they any good)..
    I know it’s a little dearer.. But I do like cubes!!!.. Opinions?..

NormalMan

chivalry – Member

But I do like cubes!!

Sadly, if it were me, that would be enough to swing it!

Then again, I’d be buying either a Wednesday or ICT if I were you, based purely on the fact I like Surly!

chivalry
    Free Member

My main problem is its been so long since I looked at bikes I’ve no idea how comparable parts are to others..
    I’m not one to buy a bike just on brand.. It has to be good value with good kit..
    As far as I know the 2017 race is the same as the 2016.. But a rrp of 2300!!.. So if they really are the same I’m well happy at 1599..!
    Absolutely no info anywhere on the RFR Dropper post though.. Annoying..
    If anyone who knows there stuff fancies taking a peek at the 2016 nutrail race and offering an opinion of pointing out any flaws be much appreciated..!.. 😀

puffballs
    Free Member

I’m not sure why people hate 1×11 when compared to 2×10.
    In the tradition of giving biased advice promoting your own personal choice, I run mine with 30t chainring to an 11-46 cassette.
    30/46 is more “granny” than the 24 front -> 36 rear you’d typically get with 2×10.
    I don’t really miss the high gears with that setup, I might if I was on a long flat piece of road, but I avoid that kind of riding.

Go for 2×10 if you want the range of gears, but don’t do it because you miss your granny 🙂

zippykona

Mudplugga. In depth tyre review please.
    Do they self steer, do they go slideways when entering mud patches?

fin25
    Free Member

Had a quick look at the nutrail race…looks good. I wouldn’t worry too much about the dropper post, most don’t seem to survive the warranty period anyway. It looks a little short in the top tube (by current standards, at least) so make sure you sit on one to get the right size.
    Wheels and tyres look decent. plus, you wont have to remortgage your home for a new cassette after a trip to the beach.

rocketman
    Free Member

When I was looking at fat bikes about a year ago there were quite a few traily fatties around e.g Scott Big Jon, Spesh Fat Boy, Mondraker somethingorother and the Nutrail (Nu-trail not Nut-rail lol

They were all pretty much the same easy to ride and prices that reflected the specs. Some of them even had the same drop-out sections and the only differences were things like QR instead of thru-axles and press fit instead of threaded BBs.

The Nutrail has 150/197 hubs (good) a standard headset a PF BB (groan) and a normal 31.6/34.9 seat tube so it’s pretty safe. XT is XT. Bluto take it or leave it.

Shame it doesn’t have 4.8″ tyres because with fat bikes the tyres & wheels are everything and narrower tyres suck

Painey
    Free Member

Shame it doesn’t have 4.8″ tyres because with fat bikes the tyres & wheels are everything and narrower tyres suck

I have a nutrail, as previously mentioned and it will take 4.8″ tyres. Nothing wrong with the stock 4,4″ ones on mine though.

I could do with replacing the bottom bracket but not sure which width I need. Haven’t got round to measuring it yet.

Painey
    Free Member

Pic of my Cube fattie…

Cheezpleez

Those Cubes are very good. The dropper less so, I hear.

mudplugga
    Free Member

Hey zippy, yes front slips sideways in mud, traction is good on the rear, in the dry they are sticky as hell tho you can really crank the bike over.

stu170
    Free Member

I’m 5 9″ and I’m on a medium, with 125mm dropper its only 1 inch out of the tube, large would be far too big for you

chivalry
    Free Member

thanks all.. pulled the trigger on the cube race 2016 in medium… works out i pay 1280 with the ride2work,, bargain seeing as this years is £2300! ( how can they jusify a 300 price hike over last years when its exactly the same bike… madness!)
    really lots of thanks for all the advice.. been really helpfull 🙂

fin25
    Free Member

Good choice, enjoy.

mudplugga
    Free Member

Nice

oink1
    Free Member

chivalry – Member
    thanks all.. pulled the trigger on the cube race 2016 in medium… works out i pay 1280 with the ride2work,, bargain seeing as this years is £2300! ( how can they jusify a 300 price hike over last years when its exactly the same bike… madness!)
    really lots of thanks for all the advice.. been really helpfull

Pics when it arrives or it didn’t happen! 😀

chivalry
    Free Member

Pics?.. I’m hoping someone is going to come and show me how to put it together!!!! Lol…

oink1
    Free Member

chivalry – Member
    Pics?.. I’m hoping someone is going to come and show me how to put it together!!!! Lol…

I’m sure you’ll manage. All I had to do with my fatty was put the bars in the stem clamp/adjust control positions etc. 5 minute job! 🙂

chivalry
    Free Member

Bars. ,stem.. Wait. what??.. , 😀

chivalry
    Free Member

Bars. ,stem.. Wait. what??.. , 😀

chivalry
    Free Member

Bah.. Can’t get a picture up.. 🙁

Painey
    Free Member

If it has same width bars as came on mine you’ll want to swap them out straight away.

First things I did with mine were swap bars for something much wider, swap brakes and convert it to tubeless.

Miles better now.

chivalry
    Free Member

740mm bars….. Im now skint.. It’s staying as is for a while.. Might have a look at tubeless if I can work out how that works with big bloody holes in the rims… Lol 😀
    XT brakes no good??.. Seem to get good reviews..?..

Painey
    Free Member

Might have a look at tubeless if I can work out how that works with big bloody holes in the rims…

Easy. Buy a strip of the wide gorilla tape, wrap it round once, put valves in, add sealant and done. Takes about 5 minutes per wheel. Has held up for months.

5thElefant
    Free Member

740mm bars….. Im now skint.. It’s staying as is for a while.. Might have a look at tubeless if I can work out how that works with big bloody holes in the rims… Lol

Fatty Strippers (SFW)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Interested by comment up there somewhere that fatties are no good on mud.

I always sort of imagined they’d be OK, can anyone elaborate?

I’ve long been considering one and recently been feeling the itch again.

Also interested in how they are on what we call baby skulls (**** tons of fist sized loose stuff) and moorland grassiness.

Ta.

whitestone
    Free Member

Having seen PostieRich of this parish’s somewhat effortless gliding *up* Garburn Pass from the Kentmere side, at least until the really steep bit I have to conclude that they are pretty good on baby skulls.

Moorland grassiness? you’ll sink in less on the soft bits and the large diameter will help on the tussocky bits in the same manner as a 29er wheel handles them.

Mud: seems to depend on the tyre.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Interested by comment up there somewhere that fatties are no good on mud.

Depends on the mud. On some mud fat bikes work better than skinnies. But if the mud sticks to the tyres big tyres mean more mud. If it’s a thin layer of slime you slip over it rather than cut through it etc.

For the mud I’ve ridden I’ll call it a draw.

chivalry
    Free Member

Impatient now… Want mine.. Lol.. Are we nearly there yet????

zippykona

They are prone to wash out when entering shallow mud patches at speed. I’ve not found a tyre or developed a technique to combat it yet.
    They are monumentally fantastic in all other mud though. Last winter I actively sought out the muddiest filthiest bits I could find. Loved it!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Heya… So.. Fat bikes??’ is closed to new replies.