Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Hey! You there! Are you a bit crap? Never fear, you have friends…
  • DezB
    Free Member

I feel safe and supported here, enough to say this – I fell off my bike in the garage today. Was trying to set the sag on my forks, my foot slipped off my toolbox and down I went without even going for a ride.

garage-dweller

I’m in if you will let me?

Moderately unfit, special talent absences in the areas of drops and jumping and mildly overbiked while remaining deeply passionate about bicycles and riding them in nice places. I managed to snakebite flat a roadbike while cycling on an almost perfectly flat tarmac path to the pub last Friday in full view of the local Porsche dealership by slightly cutting a corner.

Also only sporting a small, neat beard rather than full blown mountain man wedge.

😀

norbert-colon

Finally – somewhere I can fit in.
    Always been a bit shit – now very shit and out of practice with old shit bike kit too.

I do like cake though – it is one of the main food groups

twistedpencil

I’d like to join, my pedigree stretches back to the mid 90s when I started the Free Mincing movement, which involved pointing the bike downhill and slowing to a gradual stop just before the first tree root and falling off the bike sideways.

I’ve got a bit quicker in the intervening years, but will always go through the same rigmarole when confronted by any new obstacle on a descent.

funkmasterp

I feel like crying. Finally a place I can call home. I’ve finally realised I don’t even warrant suspension so have bought a rigid bike. Used to be a hooligan and then kids, forty and recently double-barrelled long Covid happened. I feel chuffed if I check Strava and I’ve made the bottom ten on a section.

Not too far away from the OP too (Macclesfield) so when my bike is finally built count me in.

Poopscoop

As people know from my SDW adventures I’m both very slow and very crashy.

I’m in.👍

reluctantjumper

On trails that I know I can sort of give the impression that I know what I’m doing, but put me on an unfamiliar trail and/or ground conditions I’m not used to and I can get brake clenching gut wrenching “I’ll walk this bit” fear over any random obstacle.

Could have written exactly the same thing!

granny_ring

Another one here too if allowed in?
    Slow at both ups and downs, so unfit at the mo it’s untue. Hardly ride the bike these days, shameful….

* I might only be after the exclusive T shirt btw 🙂

lorax

Many thanks to @IHN for starting this very gratifying thread. As someone who has been riding mountain bikes since the Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo I bought in 1987, but who has only ever left the ground when climbing over a stile, I feel as if I may finally have found my tribe…

IHN

I feel safe and supported here, enough to say this – I fell off my bike in the garage today. Was trying to set the sag on my forks, my foot slipped off my toolbox and down I went without even going for a ride.

U ok hun? xx

😉

Well, seeing as we’re sharing, I went out last night. Did pretty well, for me, got up at least one climb I’d not done in a one-r before, rode a descent I’d not done before, then towards the end got to the top of another. There were a couple of fellas there on bikes already, having a chat and we all said hello as I approached. I glanced at the top of the descent, it looked a bit tasty (in RUCKUS terms anyway) and, well, I bottled it and rode on the other way.

Had the fellas not been there I’d probably have given it a go, but, well, I couldn’t face the embarrassment…

white101

I haven’t been able to pull a wheelie since I was 10, can’t manual (had to google it) the last time I left the ground I flew to Frankfurt, rock gardens have small alpine plants in them. I still ride 26″, I only fitted a dropper post in Feb, its only been dropped once since then.

Where do I sign up?

EDIT: and I run 3×9 or is that beyond the membership criteria?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Thread of the year so far-well done all, totally inspiring😀

danieljohnreynolds

I’m in! I can set up an Irish branch …

seriousrikk

Despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise, I think I qualify here.

Went to the local trails and followed one of the lads down who ‘took it steady’ so I could keep up. Off he fkd into the distance… and I don’t actually mind because I had heaps of fun at my own pace.

IHN

I run 3×9 or is that beyond the membership criteria?

I hope not, or I’ll have to kick myself out of my own club. I’m rocking:

3×9
    26″ QR wheels. With inner tubes!
    100mm stem
    25.4 bars

I do have a dropper though.

crazy-legs

I’m rocking:

3×9
    26″ QR wheels. With inner tubes!
    100mm stem
    25.4 bars

I do have a dropper though.

Check
    Check
    Not sure, might be a 100mm. It’s something like that.
    Check

No dropper but it does have something called a QR – apparently I have to stop, get off, undo it, lower the saddle, do it up again and remount? Sounds like a lot of hassle anyway and given the incredibly low levels of rad-gnarr that the bike encounters, the chances of me ever actually lowering it are zero.

DezB
    Free Member

Some folk are just no good at compensating for their inadequacies by having the latest equipment 😛

donslow
    Free Member

This thing seems to be picking up a bit if speed (pun intended) now, fair play @IHN

Just because I was a bit bored, I’ve created a potential logo (first draft) now if I can only work out how to post pictures…

edhornby

in the spirit of sharing: I have a fail-safe excuse at the sight of anything vaguely technical

“you lot can all go first, I value my teeth”

because if we’re all honest, this is what really drives us all, the risk of facial injury and teeth don’t grow back (and neither does a bank account when a dentist has access to it..)

Hello, my name is 10 and I’m a hopeless rider. I’m in the US so I guess it would be “RUCKUS Y’all”. I’m thinking of converting an old FS into a gravel bike because the braking bumps hurt my wrists. I crash on flat, open, easy sections of trail. And I regularly get left behind on the descents by people I ride with. The last drop I rode was about 8in high, I somehow burped my front tire and got thrown over the bars. I’ve spent the last 18 months refining my technique by riding Zwift. I’m not confident I have any remaining bike handling skills. I am confident that I like cakes.

Edit for IHN wunhundred!

IHN

Weeeerrrrn-huuundrouuuughrrd!

**EDIT – Gaaah!

IHN

I’m in the US so I guess it would be “RUCKUS Y’all”

I think you’ll find it’s the United States Union of Cycling Kindness 😉

I think you’ll find it’s the United States Union of Cycling Kindness

I resemble this comment.

racefaceec90

further to my original post.

i crashed a couple of years ago cycling up dunkirk hill road (devizes) at less than 5 mph on my ht.

my bars got caught in overgrown hedge and slammed me onto the pavement hard enough that i couldn’t get up off the floor for over a minute.

both my arms cannot fully straighten since the accident 😢

i definitely qualify for rubbish rider (46 now) 😀 have never been able to so much as wheelie,manual,bunnyhop,and take both uphills,downhills slow as you like.

i also decades ago as a late teen,didnt see a car trailer and promptly rode into the back if it,rolling over it and onto the road in a bad colt seavers parody (if you don’t know who he is,ask yer parents,grandparents).

i feel more than unqualified to join this new club if you’d have me 👍

longdog
    Free Member

If 10 from the USA has a t-shirt with USUCK is the poor guy not in the position of people thinking he’s cycling God? No pressure there 😂

tenfoot

I fell off my bike in the garage today.

My front wheel went out from underneath me on my patio. It had just rained so was very slippery. I felt a bit of a nana.

piemonster

I learnt to trackstand last week. Age 43. I think I am anyway.

donslow
    Free Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhi3h1xiuhuc20a/D7B4EF8A-ED23-4F07-8117-FBD5A5E47239.jpeg?dl=0

Still a fair bit of finishing touches remain but for now…

…I’ll leave this just here…

northernmatt

Is there anyone else in the North East? Specifically the gnar-vacuum that is Sunderland.

gallowayboy

Trackstand? That’s pushing it a bit…..

fazzini

@northernmatt there’s a few of us I reckon just a smidge north of you 😂 oh, and just to add there was plenty of gnar last time I peddled in Sunderland…grass (herbal variety being smoked by yutes), nobheads (in cars and one toolbag on a scooter on the pavement), and rain. Plenty of rain. 🤣

DezB
    Free Member

The logo would be better if the y and the R overlapped, like proper shonky, not almost shonky 😂
    And the rider has the strangest thing on his head…?

Sandwich

I learnt to trackstand last week.

Too competent by half!

crazy-legs

I learnt to trackstand last week

That’s the only on-bike skill I have. It comes in useful for slowing to a gradual stop on a descent then unclipping, dismounting and walking down the next bit.

This is why I’m good at trackstanding. Much practice in slowing down, dismounting and walking!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Can’t jump or manual, and I’ll only roll the tiniest drops. I’m also comically bad at tight switchbacks (uphill and downhill), particularly turning left. I am not an ambi-turner.

thepurist

That’s the only on-bike skill I have. It comes in useful for slowing to a gradual stop on a descent then unclipping, dismounting and walking down the next bit.

I think that this high level of brake control is an unappreciated skill. If you asked some gnar shredding enduroist to come to a sudden stop before a rock, root, dodgy looking patch of grass or suchlike they would certainly struggle, especially if you add in any sort of downhill gradient.

donslow
    Free Member

@DezB noted sir, good idea(s) Will get on that

donslow
    Free Member

@DezB wait………what “y and r” ?!?!?

sirromj

I learnt to trackstand last week. Age 43. I think I am anyway.

Hey! Don’t let them talk you into accepting you’re crap. To the sky, even if you are crap right now, you can be so much moaarrrr betttererer!!!!!!!

oldfart

One benefit of finding out I have crushed vertebrae in my spine and Osteoporosis 10 years ago means those 2 go right to the top of the book of excuses when I chicken out on certain squirelly bits 😬 ” I would ride that but….” 🙄
    I bought 661 shorts with protection pads just in case, they became known as my Osteoporosis pants! 😎

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Hey! You there! Are you a bit crap? Never fear, you have friends…’ is closed to new replies.