Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hey boys, recommend a girl a torque wrench.
  • timidwheeler

I need a bike-specific torque wrench. Cheap as possible please. Any ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

Look for a Sealey 2-24Nm one. PVR direct where cheapest last time I looked.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

depends what range of torque settings you have on your bike. I’ve got two one small one like
    Ebay link

I use that for stem, handle bar, disc rotor bolts etc.

then I have

Norbar Torque wrench

For the Raceface crank bolt, main pivot bolt and also for using on the car (would be a bit excessive otherwise).

mrelectric

Got a useful simple hex head one with the Canyon but finally stumped up for the brill Superstar one @£45. Covers all bits on th bike; up to 14nm.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=550

flyingmm

It is my B’day in 55 mins and there is one beautifully wrapped up on the side. I will let you know as soon as I know what it is!

timidwheeler

Happy Birthday!

My boyfriend said he was going to get me a torque wrench for Christmas but I think my Mum would explode with laughter. She is still struggling to understand why I was so happy with my Aldi toolkit.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

A simple beam indicator type torque wrench will be more reliable and not need constant calibration.

e.g. this

bonesetter
    Free Member

For the smaller stuff, the Park TW-1 looks good. 0-60 inch pounds

@tucker – bad link

organic355
    Free Member

torque wrench. Cheap as possible

not a good idea

I got one of these and its been great.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/x-tools-torque-wrench

Dibbs
    Free Member

Norbar SLO.

grum
    Free Member

Am I the first to say ‘do you really need one?’

I’ve managed without for a good few years, built a couple of bikes up with no issues.

FuzzyWuzzy

Although I have a torque wrench I never actually use it these days. The only time I do use something is for stem clamp bolts with carbon bars and I just use the cheap Ritchey torque key then

Rich
    Free Member

Look for a Sealey 2-24Nm one. PVR direct where cheapest last time I looked.

+1

Just bought one for under £30, it’s great.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a shame that once you’ve got the approx feel of torques you then don’t need one – for some things though

I always use one for BB sq taper crank bolts for example

bonesetter
    Free Member

Crikey – that PVR Direct site is hard work. Cant find the Sealey

irelanst
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a budget one at all, it will be so inaccurate and the repeatability will be terrible. If it’s adjustable then no matter how good it is you need to check the setting on a torque analyser after any adjustent anyway. IMHO you would be better spending the money on a good set of hex keys (FACOM are good value vs. quality).

That said, if you really want one I find a torque driver more useful for bike use than a wrench and have a Lindstrom which is really very good, but expensive.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do they make “girl” specific torque-wrenches…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Cut about 30% off all of your allen keys. Doubt you’ll overtorque anything then. I reckon a decent bike maintenance class would be more fun and more useful.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t you have a man to do these sort of jobs for you…?

Fixing a bike is not womans work…

timidwheeler

Thank you for all your help. I am building up a bike with lots of carbon fibre bits on it and I like things to be perfect. The Sealey looks a good bet.

andyl
    Free Member

My boyfriend said he was going to get me a torque wrench for Christmas but I think my Mum would explode with laughter. She is still struggling to understand why I was so happy with my Aldi toolkit.

For years I had a torque wrench on my birthday/Xmas list. My GF thought it was a rubbish present and would never buy it. 🙁

Last year I finally got my wish along with a big set of decent bits to use only with it and as soon as I got it on Xmas day I went round checking the torque on everything with a big grin on my face – that showed her! 😀

grum
    Free Member

Thank you for all your help. I am building up a bike with lots of carbon fibre bits on it and I like things to be perfect.

In that case it makes sense. I will allow you to want one. 🙂

tommo999
    Free Member

I got the Giant one, comes with allen’s and a torx bit. Pricey but well made and positive click ensuring correct torque.
    http://www.awcycles.co.uk/giant-giant-torque-wrench.html

I’m surprised by how low the settings are – I probably over tightened every single bolt on the bike before getting this!

composite
    Free Member

composite – Member

Think I paid £50 for it though so shop around.

Found where I got my Giant one and it was £50.
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=20794&categoryID=722

emac65
    Free Member

Unless you’re bike has cylinder head bolts on it,then you don’t really need a torque wrench…..

But if you are buying one,buy the most expensive one you can afford,cos if you’re going to buy & use one then you mght as well have one that’s accurate.So somethng around 100 notes.The cheap versus expensive tools argument is a no brainer,you really do get what you pay for with them…..

flyingmm

How old are you loddrick? Clearly of yesteryears generation

ChrisA
    Free Member

I have the teng tools one but that or norbar are my recommendation.

flyingmm

Forgot to say that it turned out I had a Teng waiting for me in the wrapping paper. Very nice. Don’t worry about being bike specific, that can be sorted by buying the appropriate attachments – I treated myself to the Park Tool socket set.

flyingmm

Oh, and the Teng tool comes with a calibration certificate. I don’t see the point of buying a Torque wrench that doesn’t.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hey boys, recommend a girl a torque wrench.’ is closed to new replies.