Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hexham/Tyne Valley Clubs
  • dickydutch

Been a fair while since I’ve posted on here but hoping someone might be able to help out.
    Recently moved to outside Blanchland (circa 12miles from hexham) and wanted to know if there were any regular groups that met for either (preferably both) road or mtb rides in the local area (evening or weekend). Appreciate there wont be anything too local due to the fact my house is in the middle of nowhere, but would happily drive/ride to hexham, weardale etc.

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich

ninfan
    Free Member

Great location you’re in, very jealous!

Derwentside CC?

probably them or Beamish odd sox.

lemonysam
    Free Member

There’s loads of clubs around here but I can’t actually think of one in Hexham and BC don’t list one.

There’s loads around the western fringe of Newcastle and Gateshead – I ride with the Tyne Valley club who are based in Wylam and the Vags who are in Ponteland. Derwentside cover that area but I don’t actually know where they meet for their sunday runs.

There’s also Allen Valley who have definitely got the nicest Jerseys.

wilsation
    Free Member

Hi. I ride with clara vale mtb, we meet in clara vale – near crawcrook every tuesday at 6pm. We are a fairly quick group and ride all year round, cramming in as much singletrack as possible then back to the boathouse in wylam for a pint. Its a 20 min drive from your house. Also do weekend rides often near slaley blanchland etc.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hi. I ride with clara vale mtb, we meet in clara vale – near crawcrook every tuesday at 6pm. We are a fairly quick group and ride all year round, cramming in as much singletrack as possible then back to the boathouse in wylam for a pint. Its a 20 min drive from your house.

Damn, if it weren’t for not finishing work till six I’d be there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

<waves>
    Hello!
    I’m in Hexham, there’s a bunch of us ride every wednesday, usually meet at 8pm outside NatWest at the end of Back Street. Late start as most of us have kids to get to bed first.
    Rides vary from an hours spin around Dukeshouse Woods and head to the pub, to 5 hour jaunts over to Allendale, Blanchland and beyond.

I’m also a member of the Tyne Valley MTB club who ride at sensible times. I organised the North Pennines MTB Marathon for them this year and am probably doing it again next year.

There’s a bunch of mtbers sort of based around Slaley who loiter on facebook, I’ve forgotten what they call themselves though.

email in my profile if you want any info.

dickydutch

Thanks for the replies. As suspected there is a lot going on in pretty close proximity.
    The Clara Vale Mtb sounds exactly like what I was after. Where abouts in Clara Vale do you meet? (assuming you welcome newcomers?!)

ir_bandito – I couldn’t think of your username earlier on but was sure there was a hexham guy lurkign somewhere on here! Ive got an 8 week old son so 8pm may well be a decent bet. What time do Tyne Valley MTb ride?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Hi dicky,
    8pm was chosen as the after the bath and bed routine ride time by the “Hexham Dangerous Dads”. You don’t have to be a dad or dangerous btw. We would welcome a few more riders…

wilsation
    Free Member

Dicky, Clara is a tiny village, if you turn up at 6 you’ll see riders lurking at the start. There’a usually about ten of us. Bring lights and ask for Kevin.

eddie11
    Free Member

To be honest living in Blanchland if you offer a brew afterwards group rides will come to you 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

dickydutch – send me an email to ir_bandito {at} yahoo {dot} co {dot} uk and I’ll foward you the TVMTB details. I don’t think they do many “organised” evening rides through the winter. But we do 🙂

I was up your way yesterday. Bolts Law to Edmundbyers is soooooo fast at the moment.

Kahurangi

I’m in Hexham, there’s a bunch of us ride every wednesday, usually meet at 8pm outside NatWest at the end of Back Street. Late start as most of us have kids to get to bed first.

Good to see things haven’t changed. I may get a ride in with you in February? If not, August.

dickydutch

Bolts Law to Edmundbyers is one of my favouritesbut Im always at a bit of a loss as to where to go once I get into Edmundbyers (aside from back on the road or ont he new Reservoir path) – I dont actually live in Blanchland – I live on the road to Rookhope so I’m halfway up Bolts Law already!
    Trying not to overdo that ride though hence me asking for info on here.

I was actually up there walking the other day and saw plenty tyre marks coming down off the top – looked like it would be lethally fast. 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I may get a ride in with you in February?

Jon – you’re a life member of the HDD 🙂

Im always at a bit of a loss as to where to go once I get into Edmundbyers

To be honest, I usually just spin back along the road. Bizarely as I cam down it yesterday I met 3 guys riding up. Then as I went over Birkside towards Slaley Forest, there they were again coming back. Seems they got the loop the wrong way around…

I live on the road to Rookhope so I’m halfway up Bolts Law already!

Ooh, know of any viable cheeky trails around there to link things up? Lots of old mine track potential, but I know of a couple of very grumpy anti-bike farmers…

gazc
    Free Member

rich – hope life with the little un settling down 🙂 you’re welcome to join us on wednesday night rides from Ebchester, or sunday mornings we ride at chopwell & surrounds. nothing crazy speed or distance wise (20-30km or so ina couple of hours but some really good singletrack on our doorstep) and back at the Derwent Walk Inn for a couple of pints after too 😀

as for better ways from edmundbuyers, maybe you could try SE along B6278 then left up towards Muggleswick theres some farm tracks over the moor to the waskerley way. you can ride up WW to just under bolts law or down to continue to rookhope/up the road to the track heading up to the top of bolts law. not explored the tracks myself but seen people on bikes on them/they’re on my STRAVA feed – i’ve just gone round on the road (it’s a tiny road with no traffic)

cheers
    gaz

gazc
    Free Member

ps: meaning to go out with ir-banditos hexham groupride/clara vale club sometime but finding getting out further afield after sorting the little un out is nigh on impossible!

dickydutch

Cheers Gaz.
    Things settling down ish- desperately missing riding after building the house and then the new arrival so thought Id have an ask around on here.
    If you’re ever up my way, give me a shout. Sure Sho and Claire could do baby things whilst we’re out…

Grim
    Free Member

TVMTB will be riding from Stocksfield Station at 18:45 on Wednesday if you fancy a ride out with us.

Grim

wilsation
    Free Member

Ir_bandito I also rode bolts law to edmondbyers on sunday evening and it is indeed fantastic at the moment, rarely see it so dry. Passed a couple of riders on the loop, one of them may have been you. I was wondering n a group of three.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hexham/Tyne Valley Clubs’ is closed to new replies.