Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hernia Repair
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Had a hernia repair on Saturday.

Rather than ask my doctor I thought best to ask here. 🙂 How long before I’m able to ride again?

For what it’s worth the doctors reply was “as soon as you feel comfortable”

lunge

I was pootling in the roads within 2 weeks but I had to keep my saddle low so I didn’t strech the wound much. I was riding off road after about 6 weeks but I think it took a couple of months to be riding without knowing it was there.

The challenges I had were the lack of strength in that area to hold your body up and streching the wound/scare. I still can’t do leg presses without knowing it is there and I had the op about 3 years ago.

tinman66
    Free Member

Had a double hernia repair about 18 months ago. I was up and walking absolutely fine within 48 hours but probably a couple of weeks until I could ride a bike properly. Well as properly as I’ll ever ride a bike 🙂

I could have physically ridden the bike sooner but not off-road and not at any pace. Any twists or turns of my waist / abdominal area were a bit painful.

A few years ago you’d have been out of business for weeks but the new key hole procedures are awesome and you should be back riding in a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.

nmdbase
    Free Member

6 weeksish, I’ve had two now. Seriously take it very easy or you will take longer to heal, they are horrible.

Get well soon 🙂

Edit:
    I had the open surgery not keyhole.

jimster
    Free Member

As said above, take it easily for a couple of weeks then have a pootle about on the road nothing strenuous and see how you feel and go from there.

IHN

I’ve had two hernia ops (I like to think that I now have a bionic groin). Both full cut-open jobs, not keyhole.

Pretty painful for a couple of weeks, didn’t ride for six, mainly through concern that a silly off could really fubar things.

I have pictures 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

I like to think that I now have a bionic groin

Me too, I’m unbreakable 🙂

verses

I suffered a haematoma when they stitched me back together (Open not Key-hole) so had to be re-operated on again later that day. That meant I was still having difficulty walking after 3 weeks. I was riding gently after around 2-3 months.

I’m now 2.25 years down the line and I can still feel that it’s there when I exert myself.

EDIT: I also like to think I have a bionic groin, but that’s nothing to do with the operation… b’dum…

toppers3933
    Free Member

I had 2 done at the same time, open rather than key hole because there was a 6 month wait for keyhole which meant 6 months plus recovery time off the bike. In the end I spent 5 weeks off the bike.

jbwilliamz
    Free Member

Same as the majority; 2 via keyhole at the same time.

6 weeks(ish) before back to “normal”. Take it easy, no point in rushing back on the bike…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hernia Repair’ is closed to new replies.