• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • hereford riders.
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

Hi, I’m moving to Hereford in a few months. I’d like to get to know the riding around the area a bit before I move.

I know of the Malverns, Shropshire hills, FOD and the Brecon Beacons. But is there anyone who’d let me tag along on a local ride?

I like both dh, and xc having raced both, I’m a ok fitness wise and can happily ride dh or xc.

I’m planning to ride somewhere up that way on saturday but it would be good to have a little bit of local knowledge.
    Cheers

Drac

What colour is the boathouse?

iridebikes
    Free Member

Sorry?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

Malvern Cycle Sport (on Facebook) have regular rides on the Malverns..

jamesfts
    Free Member

I work just outside of Hereford and live near the Malverns.

Not a huge amount around Hereford (happy to show you what there is) but some excellent riding locally if you jump in the car for 30mins.

As Steve says, plenty of groups head out on Malverns regularly.

jimw
    Free Member

The boathouse reference is to the large training base just outside Hereford. Google it, or wait till you get there and ask around. You may not like the response!

welshfarmer

What colour is the boathouse?

🙂

When the weather improves you could join us for some riding in the Black Mountains. Or join us on a Wednesday night ride out of Abergavenny.

A lot of DH lads based around Hay

stevied
    Free Member

Here’s MCS Facebook page. Join the group and ride info is added regularly for weeknights and weekend trips to Afan etc

https://www.facebook.com/groups/malverncyclesport/

iridebikes
    Free Member

Cheers I’ve requested to join the page on Facebook.

Where would be a good are for me to head to if I’m on my own, just to explore?

cvilla

Sorry OP I only know the Malverns…
    Drac, good old film and car chase:)

stevied
    Free Member

Couple of routes here: http://www.backontrack-bikes.com/home.html (linnk on the top of the page)

core

Are you going to be in Hereford city or a bit further out?

I’m up near Kington/Presteigne and could show you around a couple of places on the Welsh/Shropshire borders.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I live in Malvern and work in Hereford.

Haugh Woods is your local – head off and investigate, the trail pixies are regularly building and repairing felling damage. Good mix, some quite tech stuff especially when it’s wet. I have big XC loops which link Malvern to Haugh and also to Dymock. I’m not sure Dymock is ‘legal’ bridleway riding, but there sure as hell is a lot of secret singletrack in a small area.

Malvern, obviously. I lead the Thursday steady social which is a ride for all levels so is slower, steady and rarely full on tech. Wednesdays, in the summer especially, there are often tech groups out – fast up, fast down, steep stuff. Sunday group does some of the hidden stuff too. There will always be people to show you around if you ask on the MCS FB page 🙂

Also, Black Mountains Bike Park, just down the road. Look at Yat Pack and Wye Valley Warriors in Monmouth for some of the stuff down that way. Keep going along the Heads of the Valleys and you’ll be at BPW in an hour.

Heading North there is loads in Powys. You’re not a million miles from Rhayader which has some stunning ride.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Thanks littlebunnygirl. Im really looking forward to moving. The Thursday night ride sounds good for my gf as well.

The other half has a job at hereford cathedral school, and wants to be able to walk or cycle there. If it was up to me I’d be outside of the city.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Haugh is a good shout, not much elevation to it but some fun bits of single track. Our office is 5 minutes away if you want showing round at some point.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Sounds good James. Ill only really be around some weekends at the moment. But once I’m up in the week that would be great.

pyekid
    Free Member

Plenty of fun to be had in Haugh woods, happy to show you around if needed. To be honest, as most area at the moment it’s not in the best state(mud).
    So I’m riding mainly over the FoD, its still muddy as hell but more options of mud..
    Drop me message if you want showing around.

bigblackshed

Haugh Woods and West Woods.

But it’s all cheeky.

Shhhhhhhhhh……..

pyekid
    Free Member

I’d imagine the footpath from cherry hill to Fownhope would be amazing on a bike. But you’re not allowed. 🙂

T1000
    Free Member

cherry hill…. That used to be excellent back in the 80’s…. Are the curving wooden steps still there?
    (rose tinted glasses moment….)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘hereford riders.’ is closed to new replies.