Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Here we go then- new bike testing list.
  • Kryton57

Look, lets be clear – you’re implying I’m being indecisive when I’m not.

I’m keeping the Ti HT. I like it, I want to keep it AND it has sentimental value.

I want a FS that will replace the Yeti. When I bought the Yeti I wasn’t racing, and if I wasn’t still I wouldn’t be starting this thread as I really like / rate my Yeti and would love to keep it.

But now I am racing, So I want to replace it with an option that has more “raceability” hence this list. Selling the HT is not negotiable. Owning three bikes isn’t really where I want to be, although the price of the Anthem at Paul’s means that could be possible, leading to a consolidation this time next year.

Thanks for comments on the Segment and Spearfish. I don’t like the looks of the Pivot, but I would consider a Czar – maybe a bit more saving might get me that. So I think we are here now:

Whyte M109CS
    Giant Anthem 29
    Canyon Lux
    Trek SuperFly
    Spec. Epic
    Whyte T129 SCR
    Santa Cruz Talboy
    Spec. Camber Carbon
    Devinci Trail 29
    Whyte T130 Works
    Turner Czar (maybe)

Kryton57

Although buying that Anthem does feel like buying it for buying-its-sake, I’ve no love for it. Maybe that’s a good thing…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m keeping the Ti HT. I like it, I want to keep it AND it has sentimental value.

Strip it, polish it up, hang it on the wall, enjoy it every day 🙂

moshimonster
    Free Member

I would have thought your Yeti ASR5 would be ideal as a trail bike + occasional 24hr racer? Not sure what you are expecting to gain by swapping it? Sure you could go more XC race oriented and of course 29er, but everything is a compromise.

Out of your list, the Spec. Camber looks like a good compromise. I was seriously considering the Carbon Evo version as my next trail bike (no racing required for me). I could easily imagine racing a Camber long distance on fairly technical trails.

brassneck

What about M109CS vs. 29CS? I know you want a FS but I fancy a bit of a hijack
    8)

Test rode the 29CS and thought it was pretty close to the best bike I’d ever cocked a leg over. But now the M109CS is the same price for a spec with carbon wheels (which seems to bargaintastic to miss) – so I’m torn…

Kryton57

moshimonster – Member
    I would have thought your Yeti ASR5 would be ideal as a trail bike + occasional 24hr racer? Not sure what you are expecting to gain by swapping it? Sure you could go more XC race oriented and of course 29er, but everything is a compromise.

Funny you should say that. On another thread at the weekend I said to someone “I’ve a lot more to improve before wheel size makes a difference to my chance of hitting a podium”.

The Yeti is at 26.25lb with an F120/Stans/Thompson/2×10 XT setup, so having been through the process with the other bike I know I can knock 3/4lb off of it for £300 at XCracer if I want to.

Maybe that’s the answer and not to get hung up on 29er Wheels & Geo.

After all, would spending £3k make me £3k faster? I doubt it.

Nobby

I would have thought your Yeti ASR5 would be ideal as a trail bike + occasional 24hr racer? Not sure what you are expecting to gain by swapping it?

This ^^. You could even make it as light, if not lighter than mine with little effort/expense 😉

Have you looked at the Ghost AMRs? Bullet’s is a really nice, light fast bike – he may even let you have a spin on it if you ask really, really nicely.

Edit: Too slow typing.

wwaswas

Isn’t this where we started out 3 or 4 months ago 🙂

[hijack]
    did that guy get any joy from Kinesis on Versa the frame?
    [/hijack]

Kryton57

@wwaswas YGM.

Yak

I’ve no love for it. Maybe that’s a good thing…

Yes, quite possibly given the thrashing race bikes get. I understand that mentality and would consider the Anthem as a very good n+1 option.

weeksy

Once I was regularly pushing for class wins, I’d then consider it. Until then I’d run what I have and keep the money aside should it happen. The thing with XC racing is like everything in life, there’s always someone better/faster. Once you’re getting close enough to your goals that an extra 2% may make the difference between a podium and a win… then throw the £3k in the pot.

Nobby

So, Kryton, you love the way the Yeti rides but want something a bit more race oriented.

Considered an ASRC? – much of the ‘5 could be transferred onto it, then sell the rest as bits/rolling chassis to fund the forks/wheels. The reviewers seem to like it.

Kryton57

weeksy – Member

🙂

But actually, you are right I think.

Kryton57

Ooooh, look at that Solaris in the classifieds, its my size…. 😐 😳

Yak

nothing like your original brief. Move along

Kryton57

Nobby – Member
    Considered an ASRC? – much of the ‘5 could be transferred onto it, then sell the rest as bits/rolling chassis to fund the forks/wheels. The reviewers seem to like it.

No, but a good point – they’ve not released frame only prices yet have they? I know the Silverfish full build is around £5k, which isn’t going to happen…

NormalMan

Kryton57 – Member
    Ooooh, look at that Solaris in the classifieds, its my size….

If it helps (which it won’t, I know) I can wax lyrical about the Solaris! 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just been into Stif in Pately and I can honestly say Kryton nothing in there is in your budget.

Forget the Tallboy et all.

Though they did have a Niner RDO with the new upside down forks on for £8k..

Yup, £8k

mrblobby
    Free Member

Reckon that’s why you’re better off getting an Anthem, Epic or a Spark for racing and just giving it a damn good thrashing. I’d not really want to be racing an 8k bike that I’d paid for with my own money! TBH I’d not want something that expensive as a trail bike either, mine get dropped, crashed and then thrown into the back of the shed.

Kryton57

It seems I’m stuck with the ASR5 until it breaks then. Interestingly reading a review of the new ASRC I’ve realise the current trend of longer top tubes and slackish front ends on current 29ers is something I already have. Even £1500 for an extra 3″ of wheel on that Anthem is expensive.

I’m just a few inches short of glory then, the story of my life….

Nobby

No, but a good point – they’ve not released frame only prices yet have they? I know the Silverfish full build is around £5k, which isn’t going to happen…

I’ve not seen ’em anywhere officially but seem to recall £2,400 banded about. To be honest, the old version would still be a lighter, faster ‘5 and you may even find a NOS one out there somewhere. I love my ASR5 but miss the SL’s nimbleness & acceleration.

Kryton57

Well, after riding Oktoberfest my decisions been narrowed to three bikes, no also taking into account that I’ve not the time, age or legs to make podiums, and that the Vet several places in front of me was riding Marin Wolf Ridge – the older one. Here’s the new list:

a) A Yeti ASR5 – £0, 2 years of testing
    b) A T129 Works, ideal for 90% of what I do plus 29″ wheels for solo events
    c) A Giant Anthem 29er £1500 from Pauls
    d) a + d, because if it failed to usurp the Yeti, I’d be much happier leaving a £1500 for odd events only rather than a £2700 bike (b).

a+d for 2015, with maybe a consolidation into b) for 2016 could be the way to go.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

huh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well, after riding Oktoberfest my decisions been narrowed to three bikes,

That’s good can you leave this alone and report back when you have one of them 😉

JCL
    Free Member
    rhayter

The T129 Works is 2.5lbs heavier than your current Yeti.

Kryton57

The T129 Works is 2.5lbs heavier than your current Yeti.

Yet, it’d roll & climb better and be more energy efficient over 24hrs?

I was even caught looking at Orange Gyro’s yesterday, FFS….

Nobby

Yet, it’d roll & climb better and be more energy efficient over 24hrs?

But would it? I mean, really, in the real world.

Your comment about Mr Wolf Ridge says it all – it just isn’t about the bike. Faster riders will be faster on whatever they choose to ride and I doubt any of them would ride something they weren’t completely happy with (unless they had no choice).

Kryton57

Not for this purpose, but I found myself pondering the same Nobby, hence…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/f1-style-bike-maths

Kryton57

But re the Wolf Ridge, I think Weeksy has it:

Once I was regularly pushing for class wins, I’d then consider it. Until then I’d run what I have and keep the money aside should it happen. The thing with XC racing is like everything in life, there’s always someone better/faster. Once you’re getting close enough to your goals that an extra 2% may make the difference between a podium and a win… then throw the £3k in the pot.

Nobby

Yeah but Nino is faster than everyone you’ve ever raced against (probably) and he’s on a 650B 😉

Kryton57

I’m sure if you compare me with Nino he’s got a larger percentage of a biological rather than mechanical advantage in his favor… 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Here we go then- new bike testing list.’ is closed to new replies.