Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • Herding cats
  • martinhutch

These cats are clearly too cunning for you. Are you sure you want to be owned by them?

skink2020

Mazeltov.

chipster

We used to have a house next to a busy road, our 2 cats had to be kept indoors. Their favourite sleeping/hiding place? On top of the built in fridge/freezer unit, there was a false top, with a 150mm gap at the back to the wall. They used to get under the false top, on top of the fridge.
    Look somewhere like that, if they’re not attracted to the tuna tin being opened.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I looked after a rag doll

Within half an hour It had wedged itself behind the washing machine by following a convoluted path through from a different room. Only found it when I saw the eyes staring at me malevolenty from the darkness.

mariner
    Free Member

Just an after thought the Cats Protection League usually have one of those strange cat whisperer people who make themselves available for catching caging and delivering cats.
    For a small donation you could have someone who is able to handle cats and pacify them.

Esme
    Free Member

Brilliant news – I’ve actually seen Livia!  I feel so much more relaxed now they are feeding (and shitting).

I popped out to the new vets this morning, to get them registered and transfer their records from the old vets. So, Livia is 9yo and second-hand (rescue cat), whereas Claude is 3yo and came new (as a kitten).

But . . . they are TONKS, not Burmese! That’s a Siamese – Burmese cross.
    Tonkinese Cat Club website

cranberry
    Free Member

🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Well, yes, but one’s hiding in a dark box, and I’ve no idea about the other one . . . so sorry but pictures will have to wait.

In other news, they scoffed a tin of tuna overnight, plus a few Dreamies. Thanks for this recommendation.

funkmasterp

You need some of those wildlife cameras that are set up to capture images of rare species. Need cat photos 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or David Attenborough‘s cameramen…

globalti
    Free Member

We used to have a Tonkinese, it was an extremely intelligent cat. Once they have got used to you and their new territory those two cats will be brilliant companions. Cats do like a refuge that gives them height, where they feel safe. When the Gato Negro comes around our cat runs up an apple tree shitting herself as she runs.

brakes
    Free Member

Still early days, we got a rescue cat and it hid behind the sofa for 3 weeks.

benp1

Cats are funny creatures, they’re basically just using you

Dogs are far more straightforward 😀

Esme
    Free Member

But apparently Tonks think they are dogs.

Anyway, they are still hiding but in more obvious places, where I can actually see them. And Claude even came to talk to me, albeit briefly, so I gave him some Dreamies as a reward. Progress!

fossy

Dreamies for the win !

cranberry
    Free Member

You know how crack is a bit… moreish ?

Dreamies is kitty crack.

Ada once found a full, unopened packet. A little later I found a pool of orange vomit, and a kitten looking for some more Dreamies.

funkmasterp

Wait a minute. One of the cats cane to see you and we still have no photos.

fossy

They farkin move fast when you want to take a photo. Tried video’ing out two Raggies chasing each other around the house – impossible. Only when asleep is your chance….

Clover

I check this thread every there is a new post. Still no photos. Is disappoint.

[See also the thread about working away from home … it can be dull]

crazy-legs

Set up a video camera – even an old phone on timelapse mode will be perfect, it might even track down where they’re hiding if you can set it up with a wide view over the food / litter tray.

Lionheart
    Free Member

We want pics! We want pics!

Esme
    Free Member

You’re all trying to turn me into the kind of girl who posts pictures of cats on the internet, aren’t you 😉

I promise photos as soon as possible. But in my defence, I’ve just been looking at Wendy’s FB page and there are NO photos of her beloved cats. So they are clearly not easy to photograph.

Claude is getting a bit braver now, but Livia is staying put under the stairs. However, there’ll be more people in the house from tomorrow, so I guess Claude will go back into hiding for a while.

cranberry
    Free Member

You’re all trying to turn me into the kind of girl who posts pictures of cats on the internet, aren’t you

You know what needs to be done.

mariner
    Free Member

In the absence of your cats here is one of mine.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2gRWmPR]Ebay Rabit Mug, Hellebore Cups, Bowl etc + Moggy Shots 2016-02-24 001[/url] by michaelwex10, on Flickr

matt_bl
    Free Member

We have a Tonkinese. They are very smart cats and very trainable. Ours also likes hiding, behind the fridge, in wardrobes and under kitchen units are his favorite places.

Ours is very vocal as well and will talk at you for ages, when he’s been left for a while or when he wants the door opening.

Having said all that, he is highly strung. When we had our daughter our moggy couldn’t care less, but it really stressed the Tonkinese out, to the point he was losing fur. All in all it lasted about 9 months.

Matt

z1ppy

Cat are ace, I give you the two we feed…
    Spooky (aka Gobshite)

Pisci

peteimpreza

Boot

Boot says hi !!

johndrummer
    Free Member

Here’s ours, Tiffany. Not our name, breeder gave her it

Dammit, how do you post pics on here these days? Ah, there we go

Pyro

Here’s ours, Tiffany. Not our name, breeder gave her it

Does it think you’re alone now?

If it does, it’s probably plotting to kill you…

cranberry
    Free Member

In that picture there doesn’t seem to be anyone around.

( the fact I can remember those lyrics is a matter of deep shame, I was young and in love )

loddrik
    Free Member

Loddrik’s cats

loddrik
    Free Member
    loddrik
    Free Member

🤬

loddrik
    Free Member

🤬

Pyro

LoddrikSchroedinger’s cats

loddrik
    Free Member

🤬

globalti
    Free Member

A couple of Tonkinese stories: ours used to love going round the room jumping from one piece of furniture to the next, which he did because it got him attention. When he reached the mantlepiece he would bat my Mum’s horrible porcelain ornaments off so you had to get him down fast or remove the porcelain. He did it once when my Uncle John was staying; Uncle John was an extremely devout indoctrinated Catholic so when my Mum leapt forward to catch a falling pice of porcelain then shouted: “You f**king little demon!” poor Uncle John got a bit of a shock. One of the staging posts in the round-the-lounge tour was a glass topped Habitat table. One fine day I took the glass away so when the cat jumped onto it he went clean through. The entire family erupted in laughter but everybody knows you never laugh at an embarrassed cat so he was pretty irritated and lashed his tail and swore at us. From then on he would always stop and put out a paw to check the glass was there before jumping.

Bed time was always fun as the Tonkinese would sprint upstairs and hide under a bed, from where he had to be hauled out and stuffed up my Dad’s jumper. Dad was in advanced Alzheimer’s by then so it was a welcome bit of fun and comfort for the poor old chap, walking back downstairs with the cat’s head sticking out of his V neck.

wallop

We had a Tonk called George when I was a kid. He would literally never shut up. One day he disappeared and went and stayed at the local holiday park and then came back 6 months later!

fossy

We have to shut ours in the kitchen overnight if we want sleep – that means all 4 cats. It’s the two ragdolls that chase each other round the house, culminating in both of them dashing round our bed, over the top of both of us, and then back downstairs for a lap of the lounge, then back up and repeat.

Can’t get the female ragdoll in from the cat run at night – she loves sitting out in it in the dark, and as she is dark grey, we can’t see her.

nicko74

Lionheart

In one of my sci-fi books, One follows a cat the find the ‘gaps’ that allow one (and cats) to travel between the parallel universes. Just a thought.

Spares?

Always love a cat thread

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Herding cats’ is closed to new replies.