Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Herding cats
  • Esme
    Free Member

I’m about to become the proud “owner” (haha – as if!) of a couple of beautiful Burmese cats. But, sadly, they’ve been alone in a house for over three weeks, with food pushed through the letterbox.

So getting the cats into a carrier is likely to be a challenge. Besides taking thick padded gloves, any tips for catching them, please?

And, yes, I’ve already booked a vet appointment to get them checked out. Apparently they are likely to be constipated, so watch out for my “Picolax for Cats” thread . . .

loddrik
    Free Member

Be patient. Let them come to you. If they’re Burmese they are very sociable so they’ll probably be pleased for some interaction.

If they are hesitant, sit on the floor and let them get used to you. They may feel threatened if you try to force it at your pace. Slow blinks should reassure them that you are their friend. Cat treats may help. Take some cooked chicken too.

Getting them in to a carrier is going to be a challenge whether they are friendly or not. You’ll just have to accept some scratches as part of the process. They’ll forgive you at the other end of the journey. Eventually….

With regards actually putting them in the carrier, you’re going to find putting an unwilling cat in tail end first is infinitely easier/less bloody.

(Owner of 3 Siamese)

takisawa2

“Herding Cats”…I thought this was going to be a thread about being a Beavers Scout Leader. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

you’re going to find putting an unwilling cat in tail end first is infinitely easier/less bloody.

This. Very much this.

The element of surprise is also your friend here.

redmex
    Free Member

Great cats are Burmese although may be hard work if you’re not used to them, they open doors but never close them, lie down face to face, snuggle under the duvet but can be fiesty at times. Think Siamese on steroids well my male Burmese was like that. Females are really good fun and affecionate but sit perched at the top of a door clinging on

immaterial
    Free Member

The best tip I ever had for cat-catching is to use a couple of towels to bundle the cats up in- makes it easier (edit: and less bloody) to get them into the cat carrier if they’re wrapped up.

Got to ask, why are they being fed through a letterbox?

Esme
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like there’ll be a steep learning curve, once I’ve brought them home.

At least I’ve had the foresight to book a home visit from the new vet, rather than trying to repeat the process on Monday.

Immaterial – reasonable question, but I’d prefer not to go into details on a public forum. Let’s just say RSPCA have been involved.

immaterial
    Free Member

Not a problem, best of luck!

nixie

Sometimes I’ve found bum first into the carrier is easier. I put the carrier on its end rather than flat. Pick the cat up and try to cuddle it in a way that holds its legs under the body. Then post it down into the carrier not letting good the legs till they are through the hole. With the carrier being on its end it takes a short while for them to try to escape, by which time you should have closed the door.

The burrito wrap of the legs in a towel is also good for restraining them and containing claws. I have to use this method now for worming tablets on ours.

olddog

The trick to getting cats into carriers is to put the carrier so the open end is right on the edge of a worktop. Hold cat so it’s going in head first, they have nowhere to put their front paws but in the carrier and the battle is won.

Try it – saves a lot of hassle

Esme
    Free Member

We’re home! And it wasn’t as bad as I feared.

Livia was cosy in the laundry basket, so I tied the lid on, and didn’t need to disturb her.

Claudius was lurking under the bed, and we managed to corner him with pillows, then quickly pop him into the carrier.

They are very subdued, but don’t seem distressed, and will let me stroke them.

Thanks again for all the advice.

loddrik
    Free Member

Pics…??

tdog
    Free Member

Well done op, you’re proud owner of tuna eating experts. Hint hint 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Pics?  Yes, in a few days, once I can persuade them out of their dens.

CountZero

I was going to suggest these:
    https://www.macrokunsafety.com/Ring-Mesh-Sleeve-with-shoulder-protection/10.html
    but they’re not needed now.

mariner
    Free Member

What type of cages and how are they being transported?
    If open cages on car seats spread a travel rug over the seats to save them being ripped.
    We put newspaper in the bottom of cages with a small rug over the paper. Some cats like to burrow under the rug and hide some just lie there.
    We also put a small blanket over the cage so they don’t get frightened by stuff they can see out of the car windows. Again some like to be hidden others like to look out.
    Try to keep the cages together so they don’t feel isolated.
    If I remember correctly Burmese are high level climbers and like to explore the tops of cupboards.
    Good luck.

Esme
    Free Member

Can cats evaporate? Or turn invisible? Because these two seem to have vanished without trace!

I sensibly confined them to three rooms – hall, kitchen and study – and closed all the other doors. But today, there’s been no sign of them. I’ve even removed the panels below the kitchen cupboards.

Good tip about the climbing, Mariner, although I’ve already checked the cupboards and bookcase.

It’s quite upsetting to have “lost” them already, especially as friends are asking if they’ve settled in okay.

tdog
    Free Member

Legendary!

They’ll come to you when they’re ready either that or coaxed out with the lure of TUBA!

Mmmmm did someone mention tuna

Lionheart
    Free Member

In one of my sci-fi books, One follows a cat the find the ‘gaps’ that allow one (and cats) to travel between the parallel universes. Just a thought.

martinhutch

Because these two seem to have vanished without trace!

Inside the sofa for the win.

Vacuum cleaner can flush out my two.

with the lure of TUBA! Mmmmm did someone mention tuna

No, actually. 🙂 A tuba might be quite a good way of persuading them out, though.

fossy

We have 4 cats, they all vanish at some point, even the old one that’s blind. Even the ‘bright’ ginger rescue and our ‘bright’ white ragdoll can hide. The hardest to find is our dark grey ragdoll.

And all are ‘indoors’ cats now (with a cat run outside)

Esme
    Free Member

These stories are reassuring – thank you. But I’ve searched EVERYWHERE. And checked the outside of the house to make sure there are no holes (eg from old tumble drier hose).

If I could catch a glimpse of them, I’d gladly feed them on tuna, or even caviar. Until then, I’ve put twenty biscuits in the food bowl, so I can easily check if any get eaten. Last night’s food was still there this morning, and the litter tray hasn’t been used.

It feels like I’m going crazy 🙁

fossy

So long as doors/windows aren’t open, they will be under a bed, or behind furniture at first.

cranberry
    Free Member

Take a look here for tips:

https://www.wwf.org.uk/project/conservationtechnology/camera-trap

Seriously, right now they are quietly freaking out somewhere, because they’ve been taken from everything that was known and certain, captured and transferred to a place with strangers that sounds and smells **wrong**. They will come around in time, but you are going to have to be ninja at keeping doors and windows closed for a few weeks, until they are certain you aren’t going to hunt them down and hurt them.

Get some Whiskas treats, or Dreamies, it’ll aid the process of gaining trust.

wallop

Have you found them yet?

Lionheart
    Free Member

All here awaiting next update…

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Check round the back of your fridge and freezer. They like to hide in the gap behind the element. Literally in the base, you might need to pull it all the way out to see them.

Esme
    Free Member

Nothing to report, except that I’ve searched every possible nook and cranny, and can see no sign of them. Perhaps they’ve vanished into Lionheart’s parallel universe?

It’s quite ironic, because my cousin set up a charity after the Christchurch earthquakes, to catch and neuter the stray cats, and prevent a population explosion. And I can’t even catch a couple of tame cats in my own house . . .

I’ll report on the twenty biscuits in the morning. Night night x

redmex
    Free Member

Under the duvet, scratched scrotum alert

croe
    Free Member

Night night? Night night? You cant go to bed now. That’s what they want you to do. Just lying in wait, hiding until you go to sleep. Then they’ll strike…

PJM1974
    Free Member

sadly, they’ve been alone in a house for over three weeks, with food pushed through the letterbox

There’s a story there. It’ll be rapidly apparent how important this is.

So getting the cats into a carrier is likely to be a challenge.

Correct, They may be very nervy and unaccustomed to human contact. Earning trust is important here.

Besides taking thick padded gloves, any tips for catching them, please?

Honestly? It’ll be a battle unless you know what you’re dealing with first. Go in quietly, give them a space to retreat to if they need it and take treats. If they let you feed them by hand and they’re affectionate then getting them into the carrier won’t be an issue. If they’re hostile or very shy then it’ll take a while for them to get used to you. Avoid eye contact, talk to them a lot, leave cat biscuits and let them explore on their own terms until they trust you enough to put them into a carrier.

Believe me, even the most well adjusted and socialized cat might go loopy in a cat carrier. We’ve one who’ll always empty his bowels after a hundred yards in a carrier when we take him for his annual jabs.

maccruiskeen

Herding cats

Whats the point?

Its not so much that cats are difficult to herd.. its just so fruitless.

Goats, sheep, cattle – you don’t just herd them because they’re easy – its so you can milk them. Cats are rubbish for milking and the milk doesn’t even taste that good.

Esme
    Free Member

Yay – the biscuits have all been eaten, and the litter tray used!
    I’ve never been so pleased to see a lump of catshit!

funkmasterp

That’s great news.

cranberry
    Free Member

Great news – they’ll be fine with a bit of time and love.

One tip for dealing with scared cats ( I recommend this for Bengals who are very play driven, but it should work for Burmese ). Go take a book/tablet/whatever into the room where you know they are hiding, *completely ignore the cat* sit down on the floor facing away from them, read book, talk softly about whatever to the cats, take in a feather pole toy, and at arms length just slowly wipe it across the floor.

The ignoring and soft talk will show the cats you are no threat, eventually the need to pounce and play should get them wanting the feather toy. When you have something the cats want, you start the process of becoming awesome.

matt_outandabout

💩 great news…

Lionheart
    Free Member

Good news! But where were they?

Esme
    Free Member

Lionheart, in a parallel universe, obviously. I’m surprised you needed to ask!

jkomo

Good luck Esme!

onewheelgood

We had a Burmese. She was absolutely lovely most of the time, put up with all sorts on nonsense from my children. But I used to put my leather jacket and motorcycling gloves on to take her to the vet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Herding cats’ is closed to new replies.