• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by cy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hemlock & hollowtech II BB’s.. spacers..?
  • Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Hi STW,
    Have a mate who’s just got a hemlock, and seems very pleased with it for the couple of rides he’s tried it. But he appears to be getting quite bad chainsuck and the chain bouncing off, and then getting nicely jammed between the teeth and the BB shell. He’s sent me a pic and it does look a close fit for the chain.He’s going to mail Cotic and look at the shimano site, but I thought I’d ask on here too…
    Hemlock is a 73mm BB shell width.. Does anyone know if there are supposed to be 1 or 2 spacers drive side for that set up with the hollowtech II BB? His has one, and like I said it looks kinda tight down there. Whats the correct set up for this?

Cheers,

Dr UpGrade (Mark)

julianwilson
    Free Member

one on the drive side is correct. Any more than that and the cranks won’t do up properly.

kelvin

I can’t remember (helpful hey) but I’ll check mine tonight if no-one has given you an answer before then.

kelvin

There you go. An answer.

Not had any problems myself.

Is the chain too long? What rear mech is it? Is it a mix and match of old and new bits in the drivetrain?

Twodogs

“a mate”…are you sure?!?!?!

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Cheers,
    I don’t know much about hollowtech II’s but surely if you have 2 on the drive side and say one on the non drive side, thats the same total width as 1 on the drive side and 2 on the non drive side? So ‘surely’ you could still do the cranks up..?

Will tell him about chainlength too.. He’s swapped stuff over from Whyte so yeah, maybe that had longer chainstays…

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

LOL TD,
    Yeah, at the moment, still a mate… No news on my ‘bonus’ yet, as to if/when I’ll be getting one too!

kelvin

Chainlength vital.

Less spacers used with a 73mm BB shell Dr_UpGrade.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

See… Told you I didn’t know much about hollowtech II BB’s!!

🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you dont know, why give out wrong info which could cause problems? Not very helpful is it?

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

what ‘wrong info’ did I give out?

Was asking advice on here about them… and whether a mate had the correct set up… I see nothing wrong with that..

sheesh… take a chill pill…

bigyinn
    Free Member

None! sorry im being a speed reading imbecille.
    Really sorry, chill pill taken (whole packet) 😳 😥

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

no worries…

🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

73mm BB = one spacer (unless you’re using an E-type mech or a BB mount chain device, at which point it should be none))

Technically it should go on the drive side, but I’ve been known to stick it on the wrong side to make the chain line better in the lower gears. My SO has a hemlock, and I suspect there’s enough gubbins in that area to need it on the driveside for clearance.

cy

As lot’s of sage people have said, you need 1 spacer on the driveside, although it can on run on the other if you want. I’ve very occasionally jammed my chain between the chainstay and chainrings in the little ring, but unfortunately it’s one of those things, because the swingarm swings away from the chainset under compression thus opening the gap, and a slapping chain in the little ring can sometimes find itself in the open gap at that moment. It’s also not helped by needing chainstay clearance for 36t double/bash setups which leaves a bigger gap than I’d like with a 32. There shouldn’t be any more trouble than a hardtail really unless as suggested above the chain is too long and flapping too much, or you’ve not set up the front mech properly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hemlock & hollowtech II BB’s.. spacers..?’ is closed to new replies.