Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helvellyn – which way round?
  • ben
    Free Member

Morning all

Planning on making the most of the weather this weekend and going to have a stab at Helvellyn & Dollywaggon Pike from Patterdale.

Was planning on doing the route anti-clockwise – i.e. Downhill from Dollywagon Pike to Grisedale Tarn but have heard that the track off Dollywagon Pike has been “repaired” with big boulders and has left it unrideable for bikes? Can anyone confirm, and if so, would we be better off attempting it clockwise instead?

Cheers
    Ben

freeridenick
    Free Member

If its a nice day make a big loop of it. Up over Matterdale along the ridge etc over Lower Man, Descend down Dollywagon etc. There are some waterbars etc but once below this its a truely fantastic bit of trail.

ben
    Free Member

When did you last do the descent off Dollywagon though Nick? Concerned it’s no longer a fantastic bit of trail from what I’ve heard..

freeridenick
    Free Member

1 year ago, they were building the new sections on Dollywagon then. Below the Tarn is the really good bit.

elliptic
    Free Member

Going up onto Great Dodd (boggy bridleway from the Old Coach Road) then south along the Dodds ridge is a good call.

The Dollywagon descent is still rideable for those with the skillz *but* long travel and armour recommended, balls of steel obligatory. I possess none of those things… last time I was there (January this year) I mostly walked down it.

Your other option is to ride out to Dollywagon then backtrack over Helvellyn summit again, and go down Keppel Cove zigzags (fast and furious, but over rather soon) or down the Sticks Pass (some nice techy singletrack).

Watch out for the walkers, will be packed out this weekend…

ben
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions.. Will have a look at the map tonight.

Ben

james
    Free Member

mbr having a go at it here

If you can ride aggesive variable size steps/stairs elsewhere it shouldn’t be too bad?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Helvellyn – which way round?

Pointy bit at the top?

IGMC. 😉

lowey

If you can ride aggesive variable size steps/stairs

I lol’ed.

ben
    Free Member

mbr having a go at it here

If you can ride aggesive variable size steps/stairs elsewhere it shouldn’t be too bad?

The intersting bit of that video is all the bags of rocks in black bags by the side of the trail, which now are the trail I imagine.

elliptic
    Free Member

Yes (!) it’s been progressively rebuilt over the last few years.

First time I rode it was early 90s, when it was a loose eroded path you could slither down on a fully rigid Muddy Fox Courier. If you were young and daft enough.

Those were the days 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn – which way round?’ is closed to new replies.