Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • helvellyn descent route
  • faz083
    Free Member

So… the final question before I leave saturday.

Planning on Borrowdale bash and Helvellyn, but am not sure on which descent to take down helvellyn. Did whiteside hiking once and was all steps, so i’m guessing the more northern path to glenridding? I want technical, speed, views, air and few people! So basically the ultimate descent…

cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dollywagon to grisdale Tarn – TECHNICAL mostly rideable then turn left and head out to Glenridding awesome riding fast hard tech!

As for few people its the lakes it’s not going to happen unless you bring lights

faz083
    Free Member

Ok, interesting, not seen that one before. Most people recommend glenridding common?
    I’ll have a look on memory map and some videos 😉

ta

geologist
    Free Member

)

hahas helvellyn andf no peiple ,. good luckk :)?

geologist
    Free Member

oopos hadf a few bears tonight, apologies

faz083
    Free Member

^yeah I was pretty ambitious haha

dirtydog
    Free Member

@mikesmith

I agree it’s technical but most riders will struggle to get down the zig zags.

I did it a couple of years ago and had to walk most of that section, Danny Mcaskill would struggle.

For the benefit of the OP here’s a video I found on you tube of the zig zags.

As usual the video doesn’t do it justice.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

See yesterday’s thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-way-to-ride-helvelyn

Stick’s Pass is your best bet.

ads678

I did up grisedale and dolly wagon then down sticks pass to the YHA.

short sharp hike a bike up but great techy, steep and fast downs. then stop in the travellers for a jar as you pass on the way into glenridding!!

footflaps

I’ve done the decent to the YHA – very straight forward and not at all technical.

If you get a nice day, the light up there is amazing this time of year:

Liz and Nics on Helvellyn Ridge by brf, on Flickr

faz083
    Free Member

looks like I’ll do sticks pass then! Will be coming up futher up the ridge near st johns, then just tab along the ridge, summit, then back up to the pass.

thanks all!

ads678

Well I thought the descents off the top towards Raise were fairly technical, well maybe not technical but steep and rocky, then theres a nice fast swooping section then the zig zags dwon to the YHA are very loose rocky and not for the faint hearted or the very knackered!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DirtyDog

Seen it done with I think 3 moments of not riding, I reckon I stepped over 6/7 of the tighter corner/drainage ditch combos!! Top end of tech for the area though guy I was riding with was good!

Though it was still worth it without that section the stuff to the top and below were fantastic (OK below was fairly tough too)

The OP did ask for Technical!!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

dirtydog – I thought I minced it down those steps to Grizedale Tarn, but the guy on that video is basically rambling.

Worth it for the views and techie singletrack to Patterdale, amazing few miles of trail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wow just watched the vid (well the first 2 mins) I would have locked that one away!! I was waiting for the ramblers to come past!!!!

dirtydog
    Free Member

I don’t mind admitting that I didn’t do much better, I managed to do a whole 100-150 metres of that section without having a dab. I suppose with practice most of it could be cleared, my only consolation being 99.999999999% riders would not get down cleanly.

We followed the Bogtrotters “Helveln anti clockwise” route http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe.php?route=24 and rode up from Glenridding via Matterdale Common, Great Dodd, Little Dodd etc and where expecting a scree like path not rock steps.

I suspect this particular route might be better if done in a clockwise direction.

Out of interest has anyone managed to clear it?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I did the Grisedale Tarn Bridleway (below Dollywagon)a few weeks and its very washed out at the moment,its usually a brilliant descent.

Climbing via Great Dodd and along the tops is always my preference if you want a rambler free trail,the sticks pass or keppel cove descents are great at the moment and very dry..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘helvellyn descent route’ is closed to new replies.