Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helvellyn
  • gingerss
    Free Member

Anyone been up either of the bridleways from the old coach road to Great Dodd recently? Planning a route up there in the not too distant future and need some advice on conditions, which BW is best for the climb and whether it’s worth replanning the route if conditions are wet. I don’t mind a 2-3 km hike-a-bike, but don’t want to be knee deep in gloop.

br
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago, wouldn’t do it again – undefined and a long, long push…

philfive
    Free Member

i did it last month glenridding up to the quarry, up the bridelway, up to sticks pass, carry on up to helvellyn,down dollywagons and back to patterdale.

It was a mega push up for at least 50% but the descending was amazing, brutal and exciting all in one.

just way up if you prefer the decent over pushing up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mugboo

We went straight up Keppel Cove from Glenridding.

Strong winds off the top made the first bit off the top a bit sketchy but truthfully Sticks Pass was the highlight.

Might try Dollywagon next time.

Pook

dollywagon is god awful. don’t bother

Spin
    Free Member

It’s good going down!

gingerss
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

I was hoping to avoid starting from Glenridding hence my specificity around the old coach road, I’ve not ruled it out though, and definately want to bag the descent via Dollywagon.

b r, the bridleway you refer to, did you take the one from Mariel Bridge (NY350226) or Groovebeck Fold (NY373221)? The former can’t be found on Google Earth and the latter can for the most part. I’m just hoping to avoid attempting the latter if it’s less apparent from the ground than it is from the sky. I think I’ve stood and looked for the former previously and it wasn’t at all obvious.

Mugboo

Pook, why no likey Dollywagen? Unrideable or just painful & lacking flow?

bren2709

Might be a case of not liking because they could not ride it!

It’s one of those you have to tick off.. 😉

pdw
    Free Member

Have done the one up Groove Beck, and it’s a long push through a bog. That was a sunny day in July.

No idea what the next one along is like – would be interested to hear if you do try it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Did you go via the old coach road in the end? Was it any good?
    I’m in Keswick on Saturday to pick up my new bike and Helvellyn via Great Dodd looks like a good route to test the bike out whilst getting from Keswick back to the campsite at Ullswater.

If anyone fancies i then let me know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn’ is closed to new replies.