Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Helsinki
  • Nick

I find myself in Helsinki tonight and tomorrow morning, on my own and with nothing to do.

Staying in the Radisson Blu Plaza, about 300 meters from the central train station.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Pigface
    Free Member

See if Jokerit or IFK are playing tonight (ice hockey) Jokerit play at Hartwell Arena which is a 10 minute train journey or you can walk to IFK ice hall it is by the Olympic Stadium, market down by the water is ok to potter around for a few mins, you are about -12 at the moment so wrap up warm 😆

Nick

Cheers, looks like the Hockey is on Friday nights which is a shame.

mt
    Free Member

Go see the Statue of Pavo Nurmi at the Olympic stadium.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just watch all the pretty girls walk on by from your Hotel window??

I’d be tempted to just get out and walk around, pop to the Hotel desk and ask for the “lively” parts of Helsinki and/or tripadvisor and wrap up warm and bugger off out.

HTH 😆

HansRey

Have you brought a bike over? I know a couple of expats here who are still riding in the wintery conditions.

this group are a good bunch… https://www.facebook.com/events/1410880559151328/

as for tourist sites, well, it’s chilly over here now. If you want to do some sight seeing, i’d recommend…

-Suomenlinna (windy fortified island)
    -kaisla pub (near the railway station)
    -Kallio. It’s an area with a fairly high (for finland) range of bars and suspect thai massage places
    -walk up the olympic tower, close to the olympic stadium
    -Kallionkirkko (nice church in Kallio)
    -Temppeliaukion kirkko (church built into a rock face. Very pretty/minimalist)
    -botanical gardens in Kaisaniemi (http://www.luomus.fi/english/exhibitions/botanicgarden/, visit the Palm House indoors)

Finnish beer is generally awful, although there are good brews if you persist and visit places such as Kaisla. Saying that, a majority of the local beer on offer there is from Sweden, Estonia, Denmark, etc.

Also, try to use Finnish (even words like Hei=Hello, kiitos=thank you) if possible. They really appreciate it.

Avoid the central railway station area after dark. It’s drunk/hobo/fight/druggie/psycho-magnet.

scuttler

I went to see Jokerit vs IFK at Hartwall once with some locals I was working with. We started drinking then and finished early morning in the Zetor.

I was battered. The next day was challenging.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am going over next month to watch Jokerit IFK in the winter classic, outside in the Olympic stadium 😆 very excited.

Sidney
    Free Member

If you do find yourself popping somewhere for a drink I would expect at some point a fairly drunk Finn will make you their best friend for the night. After a few they love to practise their english.

Dark-Side

My favourite pub is the Gallows Bird, out towards Espoo and they usually have a decent range of beers on, but beware you’ll need deep pockets if you are thirsty! As Hans Rey says Finnish beer is pretty crappy, Lapin Kulta is marginally better than Karhu in my opinion. For food Loumo is very good, as is Nokka (probably my favourite). The bar at the top of hotel Torni is also worth visiting for the views over Helsinki.

The museum of modern art is interesting, and right across from the Station. In the morning take a walk down by the harbour and visit the old market, ewasily accessible by tram.

HansRey

just curious, are there any STW’ers in Helsinki and fancy going for a bike ride? I hear it better to ride with company, rather than on my own!

btw, I’d also recommend the view from the top of Torni. If you cant find the elevator up, dont be afraid to ask the staff. It’s a hotel with a bar on the very top.

Nick

No bike unfortunately. Somewhat worryingly the pub a couple of you have mentioned appears to be about 50 yards from my hotel….

crossland
    Free Member

Take lots of money

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish I did still live there 🙂

You could get a bus to the Olympic park and start walking into the woods for some Narina like street lit forest coolness.

Nick

Sat in Kaisla drinking a nice Finnish IPA eating sausage, meatballs and sauerkraut, things could be worse.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I hope you had fun here, Nick. I was going to suggest going here: http://www.hel.fi/hki/Liv/en/sports+facilities/swimming+halls/yrj_nkatu+swimming+hall
    but I think you might have already left now? Hope the IPA went down well anyway 🙂

HansRey, I would be up for a bike ride. I have been living here since September but not found anywhere decent to go as yet – it all seems a bit rooty and rocky. Maybe we could go to try somewhere a bit more flowy?

molgrips
    Free Member

not found anywhere decent to go as yet – it all seems a bit rooty and rocky

What’s wrong with roots and rocks? I used to go to Nuuksio all the time – brilliant fun, and ace flow too.

Dark-Side

I’d be up for a ride next time I visit the outlaws.

avdave2

Last time I was there we ended up going to a tractor themed restaurant.

HansRey

ThePilot
    Darkside

send me an email to the address in my profile.
    The riding is very rocky and shows no great descents, compared to what i’m used to (dark peak, nym). Still, you can have a decent ride out in paloheina, nuuksio or at malminkartano

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Helsinki’ is closed to new replies.