Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helping people who need help – an idea
  • pondo

Times are tough, folks – we live in one of the richest nations on earth, yet we’ve thousands living on the streets, hundreds of thousands going hungry, millions wondering if they can heat their home or fuel their car. I’m seeing genuine, heartfelt rage and despair on social media from people wondering how to feed their kids without losing their houses. It ain’t right.

I’ve been thinking – a dangerous game, I know. There are people who could spare a quid on payday, there are people who couldn’t – do we think it would be feasible to set up an app or a website to call on those who could spare just a single, solitary quid to put it into a central fund for those struggling to put food on the table or keep the lights on to call on? Say 1 in 10 people give a quid a month – would 6 million a month actually be a useful sum to keep heads above water? Would companies come on board to give funds or supplies, could such a thing run cost-free, with all funds going directly back into helping people and zero overheads? How would you go about starting – write to an MP or some companies, could we just create a website?

Probably this is all just nonsense, probably it’s been done before, probably there’s nothing better than donating to existing charities but I gotta tell you – I’m ok, but I hear the anguish of those who aren’t, and that’s weighing heavy on me right now.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just giving
    Go fund me
    Etc
    Etc

Every business has running costs and at you predicting £6m a month that’s a lot of staff to pay along with banking fees to start with…

What you smokin ? 😜

scotroutes

There’s already a central fund where the better off pay in regularly and the less well off benefit. It’s called Income Tax. We don’t need an alternative, we just need to get the current version working better for those that need it.

fasthaggis

If it’s in your heart and you can find the time,do something local,it’s very rewarding.

frankconway

Charities have funding but always need/want more.
    Money is always welcome but what they are permanently short of are volunteers; doesn’t mean a big time commitment but, without volunteers’ time, charities couldn’t function.
    Decide what charity/sector you want to support; contact them and ask…how can I help?
    It’s possible you may have a suggestion they haven’t considered – but unlikely.
    I’ve done my stint of volunteering in the homeless sector – 15 years and don’t regret a moment of it.
    Now my support is financial – and not restricted to the homeless sector.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think the idea of “richest nations” should have some qualifiers for entry. In real terms, there’s a world of difference between a rich nation and a nation with some really rich people.

The problem the world over seems to be the distribution of wealth rather than the amount of it. A larger and larger proportion seems to be going to fewer and fewer (as a percentage) people. This is one of the things that can stall an economy.

It’s a grand plan you have, but if you can’t help everyone, help someone.

kerley
    Free Member

There’s already a central fund where the better off pay in regularly and the less well off benefit. It’s called Income Tax. We don’t need an alternative, we just need to get the current version working better for those that need it.

Don’t disagree but that is a bit of a get out isn’t it
    When do you think that current version will be working better – 20 years, 50 years?
    What do you think should be done in the meantime to help people?

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s in your heart and you can find the time,do something local,it’s very rewarding.

I’d go with this. Not just because of current economic times, but because all communities have people needing extra support, whether that’s financial, social, educational, environmental. Our large and affluent village has had a food bank since the first lockdown, never thought I’d see that here.

Doesn’t have to be a big commitment – MrsMC has been a Guide leader for 20 years now, a whole generation of young people she’s given support and opportunities for in a rougher part of a nearby town. I haven’t got the personality for that kind of role, but sit on 4 different committees for local Scout groups, helping with appointments and finances – most groups are as desperate for people with time and skills to do the “back office” organising as they are the actual delivery of the service.

mert
    Free Member

When do you think that current version will be working better

A couple of years after the revolution.

but what they are permanently short of are volunteers

All of this, my ex volunteers to run sessions helping to educate/integrate immigrants into society, mostly women from places like Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, Ethiopia who have arrived with little or no idea how things work here. Each session she does is over subscribed by (at least) 1000%.
    They have facilities, materials, advertising, waiting lists. But only 3 people who run the sessions across an entire region. The state does a lot (language lessons, college courses, accommodation, job hunting) but getting someone to explain how to arrange a mobile phone contract, contact a plumber, get a season pass for the train or bus, submit tax returns, get a library card, where to get swimming lessons, register for a doctor, get COVID tests and so on is really flipping difficult.

scotroutes

Don’t disagree but that is a bit of a get out isn’t it

When do you think that current version will be working better – 20 years, 50 years?

I already live in a country that elected a government to modify income tax rates so that the wealthiest pay more and the poorest pay less.

igm

Scotroutes plus 1

ayjaydoubleyou

Say 1 in 10 people give a quid a month – would 6 million a month actually be a useful sum to keep heads above water?

Who needs the help though. Even if you say the bottom 10% are struggling which is probably a gross underestimation, then thats 6 million people receiving a quid a month.
    A centralised fund of money could likely do more for them than literally giving them a £1 coin. But how much more?

Who decides who needs the help? Unable to heat your home – at least they have one etc etc. Charities tend to be focused. Food banks, homeless charites, helping people leave domestic violence when they otherwise couldnt afford to, and so on. Charitable giving is complex and often emotional rather than rational.

IHN

It’s worth noting that there are already schemes in place that do what’s being suggested (kinda). Speak to your employer, they may be up for it.

https://www.charitablegiving.co.uk/individuals/every-penny-helps

desperatebicycle

There was also this on Dragon’s Den a few weeks back –
    https://thetoucan.app/

Making giving to charity appeal to those who like apps. Great idea.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helping people who need help – an idea’ is closed to new replies.