Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Helping Car Drivers miss cyclists…..
  • JAG

What do ‘we’ think of this?

cyclist-detection-auto-braking-system

bearnecessities

12 Pages of mostly valid opinions, a couple of people getting overly-uppity in a way that smacks of erectile-dysfunction, then [closed]?

mrmo
    Free Member

There is something to be said of removing drivers from cars all together.

How often do cars cause crashes and how often is it the actions of the driver that causes the car to crash.

As for computer failure, how often do planes crash?

stumpyjon

automatically brakes for cyclists swerving out in front of the car.

Didn’t get beyond this, a detection system that detects drivers swerving into cyclists, not see cyclists, not caring about cyclists might be more useful.

DezB
    Free Member

good idea, but SICKENING reporting

automatically brakes for cyclists swerving out in front of the car.

There’s a short video clip that illustrates how it works and one of the problems with road safety: people can be idiots. That said, you don’t want to run over the idiot who is cycling along in a world of their own, a danger to others as well as themselves, and completely oblivious to what is going on..

etc.
    Cos WE are the problem

ARGH.

the video
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bg8XCxYhleU[/video]

brooess
    Free Member

I’m surprised this was permitted to be made legal. There’s a serious moral hazard here. Allows drivers to stop looking properly and driving with due care and attention.
    Since I got a car with reversing sensors I hardly look behind me when reversing, I just expect the computer to do this for me…
    Either fully 100% self-driving cars (best way forward IMO) or none at all, this kind of half-way house is philosophically and practically a very bad idea.
    Be interesting to keep a measure on the number of collisions between Volvo drivers and cyclists in the years before this came in, and after and let the evidence speak for itself.

Actually, I’d like to see a sensor which detects mood and personality and if it senses an aggressive, angry idiot has just got into the driving seat, the car won’t start 🙂

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Actually, I’d like to see a sensor which detects mood and personality and if it senses an aggressive, angry idiot has just got into the driving seat, the car won’t start

Yep! That’d do far far more for road safety than any aid designed to bail cyclist-tailgaters out of trouble.

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly only an idiot would swerve around a raised drain cover in the road – anybody sensible would ride straight into it 🙄

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Helping Car Drivers miss cyclists…..’ is closed to new replies.