Help/advice removing blind bearings from rear chain stay.

Home Forum Bike Forum Help/advice removing blind bearings from rear chain stay.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help/advice removing blind bearings from rear chain stay.
  • Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Try making a split collet extractor. Kaesae off here (Katec Bearings, I think, he calls his outfit) has a YouTube video explaining how. I did it on a Specialized FSR horst link and it worked a treat.

deano8

Is the idea that once you cut the slot in the bolt that you push it apart to catch the bearing on opposite sides to then push the bearing out?
    Does this actually make sense!!

deano8

Was going to try the screwdriver method, are there any risk doing this or should I seek lbs help?

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

what’s the ID?
    you could use either a rawl bolt or even a rawl plug, expanded out to fit the bearing tight, then clout it from the other side – or you may even find that the bearing isn’t ‘that’ tight a fit and it’ll just wiggle out once you have some purchase on it.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Deano8 – yes, that’s the basic idea. Find a bit of pipe that fits reasonably snugly inside the bearing, cut a slot in the end then find a bolt that will wind into the pipe and open it to grip the bearing, then drive it out. You’re less likely to destroy the bearing leaving an outer race that’s a bugger to shift if you use this method IME.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Oh, and if you burr the end of the pipe before slotting it you can create a lip that helps it to grip.

deano8

Thank you for your help 🙂

Have only just had to do this job myself this week. Forget the whole making a pipe extractor thing. There is an alternative……

Go to Screwfix and buy the following.

Thrubolts 8 x 115mm Drill Size 8 Max Fixture 60 Pack of 10Product Code: 12799

The sliding collar on the thru bolt slips inside the bearing and tightens. You can then pull them out as usual. Just did it myself on the rear of my Spesh StumpJumper. There is a video on Youtube of “Kaesae” as mentioned before, performing the same trick. (Video is a bit blurry so you cant really make out what he uses but I figured out it was the above Screwfix item.

Good luck and it definately does work.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Depends what year your stumpy is. Older ones had smaller bearings and you’ll struggle to find a bolt small enough, which is why I used the split collet method

nutsnvolks

I did the bearings on my stumpy recently. After no joy with bike ships, or them charging stupid amounts of time and money for a 2 min job of extracting the bearing I decided to tackle the horst o es myself. I went to b and q with one of the new bearings for referance and found a rawl bolt that fitted inside, then added a socket and some washers and within a few min of getting home the bearings were out. Easy as can be!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help/advice removing blind bearings from rear chain stay.’ is closed to new replies.