Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help, XTR freehub died.
  • muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Ok so my friend freehub started to dye on todays ride. It the M970 model.

Do we need to get an XTR freehub (which i imagine are scary expensive) or can i fit an xt instead??

Any thoughts.

Cheers.

coatesy
    Free Member

According to the tech chappy at Madison(Shimano importers) you have to use XTR, and yes, they are very scary expensive(new XT hub plus rebuild cost type expensive)

Dibbs
    Free Member

An XTR freehub was something like 70 quid the last time I needed one, but that was several years ago. I’d hate to think what it would be now. I’d take it off wash it out (WD40 or similar) and fill it with some really thick oil, that may keep it going for a while.

zaskar
    Free Member

£70? oh $hit I’m never buying XTR again after this weekend.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

RRP 122.33!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

£122.33 and its out of stock.
    XTR freehub body

Dougal
    Free Member

Bought the Porsche, can’t afford the tyres.

dr_adams
    Free Member

what actually goes on them? i stripped a Deore hub down otther week and looked like its replaceable… i know XTR is going to be a million miles different but is it not replaceable stuff? how does the xtr work?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dr adamams – IIRC its the same sort of set up as the deore but the fittings are differnt – so on xtr you replace the freehub in the same way but only an xtr freehub will fit.

Classic shitmano – lots of incompatable parts and expensive spares

wwaswas

you might be abel to find a non-disk rear hub for less than that and strip the freehub and ebay the skewer and body?

no idea if they’re still this price…

dr_adams
    Free Member

well i was thinking proper strip…. I stripped the deore down as the prongs weren’t engaging and when i did all the silly bearings fell out but replacements were only £1 for 100 (it only needs 52 in total) from lbs.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

As per Dibbs or Dr Adams – Take it to bits or soak it in white spirit etc overnight, then soak in thick oil. Should make it last a bit longer.

sofatester
    Free Member

The joys of XTR!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help, XTR freehub died.’ is closed to new replies.