Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help! Wonky wheel, tyre rubbing on chainstay
  • savoyad

My wheel seems to go on the bike fine, but then it goes slightly wonky when I put the bike on the turbo. I get really bad rub on the left chainstay, enough that I’m worried about damaging the bike (paint is gone; no carbon weave visible yet), and a lovely pile of shredded rubber accumulates on the floor.

So I assume there’s some play somewhere that there shouldn’t be. Clearances are pretty tight to begin with, but my normal/outside wheels are fine and this one seems OK until the roller is pressed into place.

Is there anything easy-to-fix that this might be?

spooky_b329

Is your turbo level and not twisted? Bike is being supported by the rear QR which also may twist the frame as you ride, it’s not a point that would normally be stressed that way so it may exaggerate any flex in the rear triangle

brant
    Free Member

bedmaker

@brant , yeah, I can’t fathom how all these guys with lovely carbon road bikes don’t see how it may be a bad thing locking it into a turbo and then swinging back and forth on it.
    Charity shop bike on the turbo here..

pdw
    Free Member

Obvious question: is there any play in the wheel bearings?

Horizontal or vertical dropouts?

savoyad

@spooky_b329
    yep, I’m sure it’s all level. Bike looks straight. The wheel does sit off centre on the roller, but there’s nothing I can do about that as one side (the non drive side) of the wheel clamp is fixed, so the offset from there is the only place my wheel can end up laterally. It could be frame flex, but once it settles in, it just stays there i.e. I sometimes put the bike on the turbo and spin the wheel and it looks fine, but once I pedal properly it slips laterally, then once it’s gone it doesn’t flex anymore, just stays wonky.

@pdw

Vertical dropouts. It’s just my normal road frame.
    Bearing play – not obviously. Wheel seems fine off the bike and on the workstand. But unless it’s the rear triangle I guess the movement in these circumstances is telling me that there must be.
    The turbo does stress it in a way I can’t manually. Maybe it was an obvious question but I needed someone to ask it. I hate faffing with bearings. I’ll have a proper look now.

Thanks both.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help! Wonky wheel, tyre rubbing on chainstay’ is closed to new replies.