Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with Yorkshire route
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

for me and the mrs tomorrow.

Were staying at her her brothers in addingham, my Mrs wants to do around 10 miles flattish, off road in total and I want to head over towards Bolton Abbey and find some routes I’ve heard are good round there on my own.

any help appreciated.

blader1611
    Free Member

Its Yorkshire so there is no such thing as 10 miles of flattish off road, its all hills. You will have plenty to go at round Bolton Abbey, i will try and post up a link to some stuff you could try.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Okay mate belting, as long as it’s not too brutal. She’s done Llandegla Blue a few times, that’s kind of her level at the moment.

daern
    Free Member

OK, so you’re happy with a 10 mile+ route? There’s a few options, but a good, moderate route around there would be something like this:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/678293

21 miles, 2200ft (nearly flat, really!) and rideable all year round. Done this one more times than I can count.

For a shorter ride for her, it’s not quite Bolton Abbey, but this is a nice ride from Gargrave, just down the road:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/476842

11 miles, < 1000ft. Again, more or less firm going and another all-year-round route.

(Make sure you visit Abbot’s Harbour at East Marton!)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

You’re an absolute star mate. Thanks a lot. I’ll report back!

daern
    Free Member

No problem. You’ll find that Bolton Abbey is a roadie’s paradise and that the cafes are armpit deep in them at a weekend…usually myself included (*cough*). Not going this weekend, however, as there’s roadworks in Bolton Abbey itself, which doesn’t lend itself well to a peleton of kids!

I started the Bolton Abbey loop from Addingham as, frankly, it’s better to not pay the £10 parking charge at Bolton Abbey if you don’t have to. (bikes are free). I recommend Cavendish Pavilion or Abbey Tea Rooms, but in truth, all of the cafes around there are pretty good and very bike friendly. (they should be considering that’s 90% of their customers in the winter!)

Have a great time whatever you decide!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ha, If you did that Gargrave route a year ago you could have called in for a cuppa at my old house on Newton Grange.

This is a shorty ride that takes in good bits and more of the big Addingham-Skipton-Bolton Abbey route above, the Embsay Crag section won’t be for your wife, so one to do if you get a few hours free.

Also if you cross the foot bridge in Addingham, you can ride up onto the moor (MIddleham? Middleton?) and then into Timble woods http://www.hedgehogcycling.co.uk/fewston-beecroft-timble-woods-swinsty-bike-trail.html 

Driving to Timble woods and a ride around the forest roads and swinsty res. might be better bet for your wife

martinhutch

As far as you’re concerned, that route above taking in Embsay Crag is decent.

Contriving a good 10 miler with not-so-much climbing for your wife is harder.

EDIT: Reflecting on my suggestion with Llandegla Blue in mind, perhaps B.A.Nana’s suggestion of Timble isn’t a bad one.

chestrockwell

I’d look at riding up to Draughton, then up to Draughton Heights and following the bw to Skipton. From there go to embsay and up to Barden moor via the embsay crag route above. From barden moor follow the bw that drops down to Bolton Abbey then road back to addingham. Job done.

blader1611
    Free Member

Sorry i had major IT issues last night so couldn’t get to view my old rides to send you a link. I think Daern stuff pretty much covers some good routes. Let us know how you get on as it looks a cracking day for a ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with Yorkshire route’ is closed to new replies.