Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with tap cartridge
  • alcolepone
    Free Member

Trying to remove this cartridge to fix a leaking tap. It starts to undo and can be removed by hand until it reaches near the top. Where by it gets stuck. Does any one know if the upper part of the silver section would be a collar that also needs removing.

tap

bruneep

alcolepone
    Free Member

Cheers bruneep…..getting pics to show is always a bit trail and error for me 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had to remove a similar cartridge from the kitchen mixer tap. I had a little grub screw holding the bit of the tap you twist and then there was another little grub screw that held a sort of collar piece on which I also removed. That looks similar to your upper silver bit so I would suggest checking if it is easily removable. Apart from being really hard to loosen initially they then unscrewed normally the rest of the way.

alcolepone
    Free Member

There is a grub screw on the handle to secure in place. (Handle removed in picture) but the silver part of the tap is completely smooth. So no grubs on a potential collar. Its hard to tell if the base is seperate from the collar or not.

supremebean
    Free Member

Does it not screw out the other way? Ie turning the brass valve clockwise until it pop out the bottom of the chrome flange.

Edit:Just realised that it’s a deck tap valve, just unscrew the chrome bit off to get to the valve.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Ah useful info a deck tap….. im open to suggestions on how to remove the collar with out scratching it : / tried wrapping duck tap and using a wrench but the duck tap gave way before the collar moved

supremebean
    Free Member

The chrome flange and tube are usually 2 separate parts, the flange is just pushed over the tube with an o ring holding it in place. The tube is threaded on to the valve body and will sometimes require a bit of rubber and a pair of grips or a proper rubber strap wrench. I can remove them by hand as that’s how they are normally fitted, but the do seize up a little bit with dirt etc.

Bear
    Free Member

You need to remove the chrome shroud.

I would suggest tapping it with the handle end of a hammer or similar rubber faced implement.
    Often they get limescale in the threads and this just seems to release it, sometimes tapping whilst turning it works but they are a bugger. I’ve had to ruin a few with grips before too. Good luck.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Cheers for all tge help. The chrome collar did come off, but rotated the other way to unscrew.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with tap cartridge’ is closed to new replies.