Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help with road bike wheel upgrade…
  • jake123
    Free Member

Hi All,

Basically… got an Eastway r4.0 as my do it all commuter/road bike/sprint around the block/3hr weekend jolly road ride.
    Its a pretty conventional road bike.

Hit a pot hole the other day, the rim has a noticeable wave that won’t true out. Suspect bent rim and not worth re rimming the cheap hubs.

The wheels/rims/hubs are own brand.

Any advice for something to replace the rear, and in future the front.

Nothing too pricey, the bike is a bit of a hack but happy to pay for durability and a bit better performance. It does a lot of miles in all weather.
    Was looking at the Hunt 4 seasons but pretty clueless on road stuff!

Thanks in advance
    Jake

steveh

Can’t say anything about Hunt’s road wheels but I know a few peoplwe who’ve had their mtb wheels and all have had issues. Rims, freehubs and more. They seem to have developed a big/good name but that doesn’t tie in with experiences I’ve seen.

mrb123
    Free Member

Get a wheel builder to do you something like an Archetype or Kinlin rim, hub from Hope, Miche or DT Swiss. Whatever spokes the builder suggests.

You should be able to buy a single wheel now from a hand builder and then you can always get one to match later on if you want.

Cycle Clinic, DCR, Spokesman all recommended.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joebristol

Hunt 4seasons are fine – I’ve got the disc road version and the hubs have gone through multiple winters in rain / sleet / slush / road sludge etc. I’ve not touched them yet for maintenance. Rims are nothing special – I mangled one in a huge pot hole (I don’t think any road rim would have survived it) but got a crash replacement rim within a few days and got the lbs to rebuild it for me. Problem is I don’t think they have good stock right now in the U.K. so they?

Something like Bitex hubs are in stock / are a decent weight etc. I’d use DT Swiss rims probably with either Dt / Sapim / ACI double butted spokes.

Sandwich

Alex CDX4 are on my hack bike but I can get them trade, they’re a bit spendy retail though. They do run tubeless ok and so far they are holding up to the abuse I’m giving them.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Campag Zonda C17 rim brake wheelset is £355 at probikekit for Shimano freehub, cheaper for Campag.

gouldylocks
    Free Member

Cero are fantastic wheels at a very reasonable price. Can be found on Cycle Division website.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do Shimano do something reasonable for £100 anymore?

jake123
    Free Member

These have caught my eye…

https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-pr-1600-spline-23-clincher-road-wheelset-700c-108393.html

Any for/against?

Will be running 25mm tyres.
    Seem well reviewed and saves hassle of getting separate parts and getting built.

jler1985

I was just about to recommend the dt Swiss wheelsets on Merlin. I’ve been running the p1800 for around a year on my daily commuter and they have been great at hauling my 15st ass around. No issues what so ever and still running true. I’ve just bought a set of ER1600 for the nicer bike as I’ve been so impressed.

Bregante

As above I’ve had those very same DT pr1600 wheels for the last 3 or 4 years and only had to have the rear trued once despite being a touch over 15st for most of that time and riding some fairly shocking South Manchester roads.

rob13
    Free Member

As above, fully recommend Cero wheels. I’ve had 3 pairs and all have been brilliant.

GHill

Normally I’d suggest the Prime Baroudeur wheels from Wiggle, but they’re out of stock. The deal on the DT Swiss PR 1600 looks good to me, even if the hub colour isn’t great.

jler1985

The pr1600 will have the 350 hub with the 18 tooth ratchet system which you can upgrade. servicing is a breeze too.
    The p1800 have the 3 pawl hub, I think it’s worth the money to get the better hub.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help with road bike wheel upgrade…’ is closed to new replies.