Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help with knee pads – POC / Leatt / Dakine
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

Preparing to order my new knee pads. Current Alpinestars Paragons are nice but slip a lot and the stitching is starting to fail.

Current contenders are:

– Leatt Airflex Pro

– Dakine Slayer

– POC Joint VPD Air

From the 3, the POCs seem to be the nicest ones, but, they seem to be really short, specially above the knee.

Anyone has experiences with them? Are they as short as they look?

Not looking forward for the dreaded pad/short gap.

Thanks in advance for any help

poah
    Free Member

look for a pair of mk1 trail skins

walleater

Neither of those options but I own the POC Joint VPD System knee pads. They are almost hilariously expensive but they are the only pads that I’ve ever owned that stay exactly where they should, don’t restrict movement at all, can climb all day in them and hardly notice and still give great coverage on the way down. It’d really hurt me to pay retail price for them but they are bloody good and I always regret buying cheap pads.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Only used the Dakine, but I find them very comfortable and they very rarely slip.

mikedabear
    Free Member

I have the POC joint VPD 2. They are very comfortable and stay in place. They are a tad short at the top though and I find that on dry and dusty trails grit gets in the top front. Also last time I had an off I got a quite bad cut right above the knee but inside the pad. I still use them as they are the most comfortable pads I have had and they did protect my knee cap . If you want a pair that come a bit higher up the leg then I would recomend Fox Launch Pro another great set of pads.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Just for context, I’m kind of limited to the offerings of a specific online shop due to having a juicy coupon from a warranty job there.

Trail Skins –  they only have the 2018 version in stock. Anyway, whats up with these pads? I keep seeing them recommended on forums but many reviews mention that the velcro straps cause some discomfort.

Dakine Slayer – seem to be a nice set of pads, nothing flashy, but don’t see them mentioned very often

POC VPD System – I have every reason to believe they should be top notch, but €120?

May add the POC VPD 2.0 to the list, but say some comments on them not being that good to pedal on

mikedabear
    Free Member

I personally find the VPD 2 are superb for pedaling in. But my wife didn’t like them. She said they moved and rubbed behind the knee . She know has the VPD System and loves them .

peaslaker
    Free Member

I use VPD Air.

VPD Air are short.  Particularly above the knee so you have to factor in whether you can look cool enough wearing them with an occasional gap showing or be very selective in your shorts choice to give extended coverage.

But they stay put and I never think about them pedalling or descending all day.

Have had VPD 2 in the past and had problems with slippage.

joemmo
    Free Member

The POCs are a bit short but I just colour in my legs with a marker pen and no one notices the gap.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Regarding POC’s shortness, I worry more about the lack of upper shin protection than the shorts gap

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Dakine user here. I was very, very skeptical to any kind of so-called pedaling friendly pads.

However I must admit I’m pretty impressed with them. Staying where they should, 5 minutes down the ride they are nicely warming up and molding around your knee. You can hardly notice them. Only had one tumble and one knee landing whilst bike shouldering with them but they seems to be working fine.

Only minus for me, you need to take shoes off to put them on.

That’s why I might be changing them for something with side zip and/or fully opening straps.

Cheers!

I.

mmannerr

Dakine strap should be a problem only if you have big thighs for the size and have to keep the strap halfway open – then the hook side of Velcro may dig into skin.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Mmannerr, do you mean the Dainese?

dmorts

How are the POC in cold weather? Ie. Do they stiffen up and potentially rub?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I have a set of POC VPD 2.0, been using them for the last 3/4 years now. Been all over with them Canada, US, India and Europe.

Stay put all the time everytime. Well made. Shop around  sure you will find a pair slightly cheaper

zezaskar
    Free Member

How do you find them for pedaling?

I failed to mention I need the pads to be ok for long days in the saddle, lots of climbing as well

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I don’t notice them at all, I don’t experience any pinching or rubbing and they breathe pretty decently.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I have just been through the same decision process. In the end I went with the POC VPD Air. I did like the look of the trail skins but as mentioned above there were a lot of comments about the velcro rubbing. They are fairly short above the knee which I was a little worried about but its really not that bad. They are pretty comfy and stay in place really well. I never need to adjust them. 1000% improvement on my old Bliss knee pads. They flex nicely but the padding feels solid. I havent had the pleasure of stacking with them yet but I’m pretty confident they would stay in place and do the job. All day pedalling is not a problem with them. I didn’t pay full retail however…I got them for £52, which I thought was pricey but after wearing them for a few months I think they are worth it. I was in the middle of L and M so ordered both. I went with the M in the end. The M was a bit tight at first but they have stretched a bit are a great now.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Instead of creating new thread might ask here…

Looking for shin/knee pads that are relatively pedaling/walking friendly and do not require taking off shoes to put them on.

My attention was captured by IXS Mallet Shin/Knee Guards http://bike.ixs.com/en/shop/mallet-knee-shin-guards and Endura Singletrack Shin Protectors https://www.endurasport.com/product/singletrack-shin-protector/

Both looking OK, but pictures/description is a bit vague and not stating explicitly that they can be put on without dismounting your slippers…

Any first hand experience with these? Or maybe some other suggestion?

Cheers!

I.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Right now the decision is between:

– POC Airs

– Dakine Slayer

– Maybe, maybe the POC 2.0 but I keep getting contradictory reports on using these for all day climbing

Dakine look cheaper (from pics only) and not sure how they’ll age without straps

My main grip with the POCs is shin protection. Even today I had 2 close contacts with my upper shins, one with a pedal, the other against the frame

thenorthwind

If only there was a group of people who think about all this stuff and then try all the options out and write about it and you could buy their words on paper to read and look at pictures of people riding bikes in cool places at the same time.

Review: POC VPD Air Knee Pads – Winner Most Protection

chevychase

My POC VPD Airs rub the very skin off the back of my knees if I have to pedal more than ten miles.

Great on uplifting in the Alps. PITA otherwise.

I figured my skin would get used to it. I was wrong.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Depending on what size you’re after, I’ve got a pair of POC VPD Air’s in XL going spare. Used 3/4 times, they’re just not a great fit for me and I grab my 661 Evo’s every first, every single time.

I give you the good price, Email’s in profile if anyone’s interested.

Phil_H

I like my slayers. They stay put on long rides (8.5 hours at the ard rock) and they don’t rub. Better than the ixs flows they replaced. I can’t comment on their longevity as they are only a month old.

mmannerr

@zezaskar

Late reply, I did mean Dainese Trail Skins. I have first version and had some velcro rubbing on thighs but I guess the pad has been worn now so the straps are tighter.

I had POCs, old Enduras and some other pads before Trail Skins and these are first comfortable pads for me. The reason might be that they don’t put any pressure towards knee cap even if the protective inserts seem too flat initially

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve found that by combining the race face charge knee pads with my trailskins (1) or trailskins 2 (lite) I get the combination of protection, security (little or no slipping) and ease of pedalling.

the race face charge offer very little protection, but the outer face is very grippy which makes your proper knee pads more secure, and the rear of the pad is highly perforated for breathability.

and they cover your legs from socks to a good way up your thighs, thus avoiding any bare patches or Velcro rub.

if you’re considering the sun-zero version, I’d go a size up as the material isn’t as stretchy as the regular ‘charge’ version.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I’ve had a few pairs but those are probably my favourite https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Troy-Lee-Designs-KGS5400-Knee-Guards_125379.htm

I am realising they are MORE expensive than the POC (which I didn’t think was possible) – although they must be cheaper elsewhere as I paid £30 from Tweeks last year.

rocketman
    Free Member

the POCs seem to be the nicest ones, but, they seem to be really short, specially above the knee

daddy long legs here and I find most knee pads too short. The POCs were no exception

Not looking forward for the dreaded pad/short gap.

What you want is the Leatts and some Morvelo Emblem undershorts

zezaskar
    Free Member

So for one time in my life I decided not to be a cheapskate and ordered both the Daikines and the POC Airs to see which ones I preferred. Both size M, as per their respective charts.

Got them today and, honestly, I feel is a no contest. The POC look and feel much better built, the size suits me better and the knee pad is much bigger, much better side coverage

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help with knee pads – POC / Leatt / Dakine’ is closed to new replies.