Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Help with childcare costs…
  • GrahamS

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind joining that hug 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

That’s me on the right 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Everyone is entitled to choose their way of life, my only gripe really is when people expect help to pay for children they chose to have.

LadyG – whilst (even as a parent) part of me agrees – and its not like it is difficult to find out what the costs of childcare are before you decide (if it was a conscious decision) to have a family; the reality is that childcare costs are high in the UK. In my experience people who vocally complain about “subsidising other peoples childcare” are the same

Free child places at nursery from 3 doesn’t necessarily help. Not all private nurseries are eligible (for what appears to be local politics reasons) and most “state” nurseries run restricted hours (say 9am to 3pm) which precludes the parent actually doing anything productive in that time. If you engage a childminder rather than a nursery they will usually happily drop off and pick up at the nursery (thus covering the rest of the hours) but expect paid for “doing nothing” in the interim (because you are blocking a place for another child).

There was a documentary the other night on precisely this topic. It is interesting that in other countries state subsidised pre-school care is welcomed by all.

I don’t see it going that far in the UK ever, but I do question why we have a significant cap on the Childcare Voucher scheme (using maximum allowance for both me and Mrs Polly only gives enough to pay for 2 full days of nursery care). Why tax people on the thing that enables them to work?

jota180
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Suppose my wife has a career that would be impossible to restart after a break to bring up kids?

plenty of online help to get the little lady back up and running 🙂
    1950’s Homemaking tips — a crash course

jota180
    Free Member

Why tax people on the thing that enables them to work?

In times of a booming economy, I’d agree
    But right now there’s no incentive to and – possibly – no need

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, some touchy blokes here. 🙄

midlifecrashes

It now seems that right up to an income of over £64000, three children, 41% taper, max childcare claimed, still puts you in the Working tax credit/child tax credit system. I can’t see how that can be sensible.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Help with childcare costs…’ is closed to new replies.