Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HELP! Why won't my mech go right…
  • somouk
    Free Member

Hi All,

Following the purchase of a new to me frame today I’m trying to get the bike built up and the last thing that is stopping me is the rear mech, I can’t seem to get it away from the frame.

I’ve attached a pic to illustrate how the mech is currently setup, can anyone advise me on how to get it right and maybe show me a pic of how it should look?

I’ve never had an issue fitting mechs before so not sure what’s going on here 🙁

Cheers,
    Mart

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Around the securing bolt there is the spring out the back of the mech in this area is a dowl of metal which sits in a hook on the hanger. Is this metal “stub” sitting on the hook on the hanger or is it in front of it?

mintimperial

Have you tried winding the b-tension screw in? That’s the small one that isn’t the upper or lower limit screw, it affects the angle of the mech. If you tighten it it will move the mech away from the frame. You should have it set so that there’s about two links of chain between the top jockey wheel and the biggest sprocket on the cassette.

Edit: yes, you should also check that you’ve got the collar behind the hanger bolt in the right place…

andyl
    Free Member

the little arm between the bolt you use to attach it to the hanger and the bolt that is the pivot should be horizontal.

PS too much cable outer as the shadow mechs don’t need the loop:

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As said above. You’ve missed the stop on the mech against the stop on the hanger.

As a shortcut you can unscrew the mech 80% then turn the whole mech clockwise by around 90 degrees, then tighten up the bolt 90% and lastly turn the mech back anti clockwise – the two stops will meet each other.

cp

As andyl, I did the same as the op the first time I installed one- it’s quite easy to catch the stop protrusion on the frame against the wrong bit of the mech. As menioned, the stubby bit attached to the mounting bolt should be horizontal backwards.

somouk
    Free Member

All sorted thanks, it appears I just had to alter the small section that attaches to the gear hanger so as it was horizontal 🙂

Now the agonising wait till tomorrow to get out on it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Why won't my mech go right…’ is closed to new replies.