Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help, what is this bb and how can I remove it?
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Hello, can anyone tell me what BB this is and how can I remove it asap if possible without the correct tool. So far one bike shop has sold me the wrong tool and my 2 LBS have not either been able to identify the BB or get it! I am trying to build bike as asp and seemed to be cursed!
    All help appreciated

thanks

JonGW
    Free Member

Just looks like a truvativ bb, to get it out without tools though erm screwdriver & hammer probably work.

Bez

It looks like someone's already tried and (unsurprisingly) failed with the screwdriver and hammer approach…

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Not sure of brand (Truvativ?) but you need a BB tool for an 8 notch (or 8 prong) BB tool) and a large wrench to fit the tool.
    one here on chainreaction

definitely do not try with anything but the appropriate tool! you'll just f*ck up the bb and not get it out.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

you can easily remove that with a screwdriver and hammer. Just tap it gently round.
    Even the most hammerfisted spanner monkey should be able to do that

oldgit
    Free Member

That's an old Truvativ Giga-Pipe, I think! Nope I'm pretty certain.

hicksville
    Free Member

the bloke in 2nd local bike shop took hammer to it and failed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plus gas and heat? Are you sure you are attempting to turn it the right way?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

You need the old style shimano 'prong' tool. It's the same tool used to remove the lockring from older XTR chainsets, the ones where you could remove the spider. Hammer and screwdriver will not work if the bb is in as tight as it should be. Worst case is to use a pair of pipe grips and undo it that way, it wi destroy the cups though.

Stoner
    Free Member

same tool as for Middleburn lockrings.

I have one you can borrow if you're anywhere near malvern.

Ambrose

If it the Middleburn spider tool I too can help. I have the tool for you, near Ammanford/ Pontardawe, S Wales.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

How about a lockring spanner, any LBS should have one!

Keef
    Free Member

if you haven't got the 8 prong tool,and you don't mind fking up the BBcups,then in an emergency, a set of Stillsons,and if necessary,a length of tubing (for extra leverage) is the way foreward

robidoo
    Free Member

I took one of those out last week I used the hammer and screwdriver method as I wasn't going to use it again and didn't want to spend about £10 quid on the tool.
    One side came out ok but had to get the stilsons on the other side as it was a pig to turn.
    I binned it straight after.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

You must have 2 pretty rubbish bike shops near you any mechanic worth his salt would recognise that straight away. As has been said Lockring wrench or 8 prong socket wrench is what you need plus release spray and or heat.

If I was in a bike shop and the mechanic came anywhere near my bike with a hammer and screwdriver he would need to go to casualty and have them removed from his person using the correct surgical tools.

hicksville
    Free Member

thanks folks removed safely

BluePalomino
    Free Member

If I was in a bike shop and the mechanic came anywhere near my bike with a hammer and screwdriver he would need to go to casualty and have them removed from his person using the correct surgical tools.

Same here!

@hicksville – so how did you remove them?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help, what is this bb and how can I remove it?’ is closed to new replies.