Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Help! The mrs did this to her car…
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Shes done this on her new (and first) car and she’s gutted, just wondering what to do to get it sorted. Any advice on doing it myself, doing a few bits to save cash or costings for having the whole job done would be appreciated.

blader1611
    Free Member

Unless you work in a body shop i would suggest that that is a job that isnt really a diy one. Trip to body shop for that car by the looks of it. Its hard to tell but is the panel dented or is that a trick of the light? It will certainly need respraying as most of those scratches i guess will be too deep to polish out.

wwaswas

My wife did somethign similar to her Golf reversing off the drive.

There was less panel damage than that – insurance claim was about £2500 (without a hire car).

Doesn’t help much I know but as it’s a new car with that much damage I’d just make a claim and let the insurance sort it out.

scaredypants

minimum is a few random slabs, bit of concrete and some elbow grease, but adding a water feature isn’t that much extra work

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Yep theres panel damage. Problem is with her being a new driver an insurance claim will out her premium through the roof. It’s an 09 Fiat 500 so not new.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Used hub-cap replacement from scrappie/ebay.

Wet and dry around exposed metal. Rattle can. T-cut. Done.

Dents are characterful! It’s just a car. Many more interesting/life-changing/fun-filled things to do with money than trying to keep a car cosmetically perfect.

Just my two-pence. ymmv

Its hard to tell but is the panel dented

😯

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is why you buy a banger for your first car!

Re fixing the it depends how perfect you want it. You can do a reasonable job by beating the panel out. First in last out principal. Then respray, and polish but if it is a new car it’s probably not worth the loss in value Vs the cost to get it done professionally. I.e the loss in value of a bad diy job will be more than the cost of a professional fix.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My wife’s just done similar to our car. It’s annoying, but what can you do? Let the insurance company sort it. Sure, premiums may go up, but that’s life.

nickjb
    Free Member

Proper job will be expensive. How precious is the car? I’d be tempted to pull/push the worst of the dent out then go at the scratches with colour enriched t-cut then touch up anything really deep. It’ll look a lot better for minimal cost but won’t look mint. Be less gutting when she does it again 😈

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

You should see my car mate, it’s like it’s been in battle! She’s properly gutted though, she doesn’t think like a mountain biker!

TheBrick
    Free Member

P.s. approach a small body shop directly. They will be much less than the insurance claim quote. Especially a one / two man band

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The Brick, I told her this! I told her to get a £300 Ford Ka, but would she listen?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

You might be able to use a floor tile lifter to pop out the large indentation. I bought one from screwfix to pop out a bow in a door. I am not a bodywork professional or mechanic.

There are also videos using compressed air and hairdryer to dents. I’ve never tried it and quite skeptical but it looks like it works in certain circumstances

martinhutch

She’ll still notice even a near-perfect DIY job. If that means you might as well not have bothered, just get it done properly on insurance.

welshfarmer

My advice. The sooner you can get someone to fix it the easier it will be. I have “popped” dents out if done within the first couple of days (though yours involves a crease where the wheel arch reveal is so it won’t be quite that easy). However, metal does change structure if left too long so get it into a local body shop ASAP. It need not be that expensive (certainly nothing like the £2500 the insurance would try and cream off the job). I was quoted £350 to repair and spray a complex dent on the rear wing, and to change and respray the front wing of my old BMW.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Anyone know how much insurance would go up? Roughly?

DezB
    Free Member

is that a trick of the light?

😆 Yeah, tell anyone who asks it’s fine, just a trick of the light.
    You could try pushing the panel back out , it’ll probably pop into place, but being a black car, you’ll never get it looking right.
    Best idea is to find a friendly local (checkatrade type) car repairs and get them to quote you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could, of course, just let her fix it.

Just a thought.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

She’s properly gutted though, she doesn’t think like a mountain biker

With all the talk of helitape, ‘niche’, expensive show-offy cars and other fashion recommendations hereabouts I’ve since wondered what a ‘mountain-biker’ is 😉

bikebouy – Member

Just a thought.

Radical. Where I’m from women ‘can’t’ do ‘that stuff. It’s the studiedly ‘put-upon’ male who has to leap in to sort it like a patronizing ‘faux-annoyed’ knight in shining armour. Why mess with centuries of tradition? A man needs to show he’s a man. And a woman needs to show she’s mostly helpless and cutely inept. If you change that dynamic then women will lose interest and men will become infertile. Result? Human extinction. Thoughts are dangerous. And women who think are double-dangerous. Woah calm down it’s just a joke. Top Gear innit.

Edukator
    Free Member

Malver rider’s approach or ignore it, it’s only cosmetic and an 09 car will be on its way to the breakers before long. She’ll have less refusals of priority with a bodywork like that. Madame did similar to our year-old car – by the time we sell it it will take less off the value than it would have cost to repair or the extra cost of insurance.

newrobdob
    Free Member

That’s pretty bad and a job for a professional body shop. Panel might be saved – could be pulled out with a slide hammer – but maybe not, new metal (repair panel) may need to be welded in with appropriate refinishing/painting. Door is damaged too.

If you go to the dealers or a big national company it willl be expensive however a local quality body shop will be a lot cheaper but go on recommendations.

I can’t see it being less than £1k to fix though, there’s a lot of work involved in that one, lots of complex shapes have been damaged in the panel and around the wheelarch. Would probably be quicker, easier and have a better result with a new panel.

martinhutch

Anyone know how much insurance would go up? Roughly?

Protected NCD? Shouldn’t be too bad, but depends on a lot of other factors.

DezB
    Free Member

That little scrape (also done by a woman 😆 ) cost £650 – new wing. So someone was ripped off at £3500!

kerley
    Free Member

Just a thought.

A mere woman getting their own car fixed in 2017. Have you thought about where that could lead, are you mad?

jambalaya
    Free Member

That looks like a new panel for rear and the door, as above that’s £1000’s. Tough call as the value of the car will be reduced by at least the repair cost.

You can “t-cut” it and smarten it up but its always going to be dented.

the-muffin-man

Has it damaged the sills too?

On an ’09 car that could be on the verge of a write-off. My wife’s Fiesta was written off with similar damage.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Embrace the damage and look forward to parking in supermarket carparks without a care

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’m at work so can’t link it but I saw a video of a woman removing a dent with a dildo, worth a look I suppose…

the-muffin-man

That little scrape (also done by a woman ) cost £650 – new wing. So someone was ripped off at £3500!

Front wings are an easy fix though.

pictonroad

[video]https://youtu.be/m94Zn4cVr90[/video]

lesgrandepotato

Get it down to a local independant and see what they say. Owt else is just guesswork

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Pull the dent out yourself there are proper kits you can buy, t cut, colour polish the rest as best you can. You could get it done on the insurance putting her premium up then she could do it again next week.

nickewen
    Free Member

From the photos the door doesn’t look too bad.. But that rear panel is a mess and it has all the fuel filler cap gubbins in it. I definitely agree with the local (1 or 2 man) bodyshop approach. Where are you? I know a good one in Newcastle I’ve used a few times. However, I think you’re looking at at least £800 ish.

avdave2

Used hub-cap replacement from scrappie/ebay.

Wet and dry around exposed metal. Rattle can. T-cut. Done.

Dents are characterful! It’s just a car. Many more interesting/life-changing/fun-filled things to do with money than trying to keep a car cosmetically perfect.

I’m with you apart from the extravagant spending of money on a new hub cap.

stevextc
    Free Member

09 Fiesta – Honestly I’d just get it functional. (Doors work, not rubbing anywhere) OH did almost exactly the same and i had to rebuild a wall as well… I wouldn’t care but she came in saying “I think I might have scraped something” (scraped being a euphemism for knocked down 3′ of wall – “might” meaning I am such a better driver than you I leave the stereo on full when parking/reversing)

You can try and pull it with a suction pad or try from inside but the crease will still be there…

Insurance will go up somehow… even with protected no claims so I’d be tempted to just see if it will pull and perhaps paint with some colour match

oldbloke
    Free Member

Just leave it and watch for rust. If she’s done it once, she’ll possibly do it again.
    My wife did similar and just before it was to go into the bodyshop she did it again. I left it a while and then she did it a third time so I stopped caring. Roll on several years and the car was scrapped without ever being fixed.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The crease on the wheel arch tells me that’s no DIY job.

Really it’s a £2500 car unless it’s some kind of fancy one.

Given she’s a new driver and the value I wouldn’t bother with insurance, it’ll cost you a lot more in the long run.

Find a decent local place to have a look – to give an example of the different in costs – my Wife reversed into a tree, wrecked her bumper, her Dad’s mate who serves the local Taxi Drivers for repairs fitted and sprayed a new bumper for £250, the paint wasn’t 100% factory, a little orange peal, he said he’d buff it again if we dropped by but we didn’t bother, it was invisible from 2 paces away.

fast forward a year and someone drove into it, made a massive fuss about it, tried to rip us off with the old “we’ll pay cash” line – in the end we claimed on their insurance, new bumper, very good quality paint job (still not factory perfect) £1400 not including the hire car and whatever else.

If they give you a price of more than you can afford, she may have to live with it.

scotroutes

an 09 car will be on its way to the breakers before long

You what now?

rocketman
    Free Member

ninfan
    Free Member

I) stay out of it – it was her decision ref the car, it was her who dented it – *whatever* you do to help will be wrong, and only serve to make you in some way culpable or to blame for the situation.

Ii) by staying out and letting her deal with it entirely, you have freedom to crouch down to look at the repair/dent at any time/different light/weather/angle to see how bad it looks/whether it can still be noticed, and mutter to yourself a little bit about how it’s still not right. This can be a useful tool to subconsciously remind her to listen to your advice in the first place in the future, so can be be deployed in places like car parks just vefore going shopping together.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Help! The mrs did this to her car…’ is closed to new replies.