Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • help, task demonstartion
  • Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

So ive got to give a 2 min presentation, with a visual aid, on a task.

Im struggling tbh. I thought about setting up a wheel tubeless but this takes 15 mins ish.

My boss suggested “why dont you show them how to be a c**t” which wasn’t as helpful as i had hoped.

So any suggestions for a task less than 2 mins? Im thinking wiring a plug or fitting a tube?

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

How about the use of a dictionary to check for spelling mistakes?

(sorry slow day.)

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

How to put on a condom? Use a banana if you have performance concerns

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

Banana idea i like, Although i feel it may not be suitable for the intended audience.

Jamie

So any suggestions for a task less than 2 mins?

*insert climax joke here*

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Make a sandwich or a Margarita

Change an inner tube

Field strip and rebuild a Glock

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Show them how outdated your 26 inch bike is by trying to run over a kitten. Then demonstrate how easy a 29’er glides over said kitten to applause and adulation.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Why?

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Why?

He covered this, because he’s a c**t.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Invent a new standard, or possibly a religion.

Murder someone. Choose the weakest and use surprise, you don’t want to exceed the time limit.

Can the demo be shorter than the actual task?

In a Blue Peter “Here’s one I did earlier” style. Might widen your options and help keep the presentation moving…

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Make a brew

Sudocrem a cat.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

Finding North from the sun and your wristwatch.

Fun, interactive, needs very little stuff and you can use this for escape and evasion after you have murdered the weakest member of the audience.

Digital watch owners may have issues with this task, as may people who have no wrists or watches, but there is a simple work around

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Remove a cork from a wine bottle using just what you can find on people in the audience

1/ Get boss to give you the lace from their shoes

2/ Get someone to loan you a pen

3/ Tie knot in end of shoelace (large-ish, 2x or 3x should be enough)

4/ Use pen to push cork into bottle

5/ lower lace into bottle until knot is below the cork

6/ Pull lace back out, the knot will pull the cork through

7/ Hand soggy lace back to boss proving you are indeed a ***t

Premier Icon lucky7500
    Subscriber

+1 on making a sandwich or a brew. I suspect that your presentation technique and / or interpersonal skills are being tested so pick something that has absolutely no chance of going wrong with you swearing, and that can definitely be carried out while explaining each step in two minutes.

Jamie

Recreate a scene from the hit TV show, Crystal Maze.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Recreate a scene from the hit TV show, Crystal Maze.

Flap about for two minutes and fail to perform the task?

How to make a chicken from a tea towel?

Premier Icon molgrips

The presentation has to take 2 mins, the task doesn’t, does it? You could talk for 2 mins on setting up tubeless or fixing a puncture, with photos.

Freester

How to make a chicken from a tea towel?

There’s a ruder version of that too.

somouk

When we’re demoing instructional technique a common one is peeling a potato.

Demonstrate the phases of the moon using Jaffa cakes.

Be sure to use a high pitched girly foreign voice.

Flaperon

Go all Inception and give a talk on giving talks? First minute exposes all the cliches (so turn your back to the audience and read verbatim from a slide packed with dense writing in Comic Sans, fired in with the typewriter sound effect. Get the slide order wrong and then have a slide with the Windows BSOD or “Your computer will update automatically in…).

Second minute, have three useful bullet points on the slide in a clear font, engage with the audience and give some genuinely useful advice on presentation techniques.

I’ve had to do something similar (although I got longer to talk). They’re obviously not looking at the content but how you put it across but that doesn’t mean you can’t pick an interesting subject to talk about. The first time I did the above, and at a subsequent session they got an idiot’s introduction to quantum mechanics.

Jamie

Demonstrate how to check your plums for lumps?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDRtnf69eZI[/video]

Premier Icon scuttler
    Subscriber

My boss suggested “why dont you show them how to be a c**t” which wasn’t as helpful as i had hoped.

Smack him with a baseball bat for two minutes.

Rob Hilton

Demonstrate how an automatic corkscrew works. I wish someone had told me – took about 20 bottles of wine before I discovered the secret (and realised what an ingenious design it is).

If you have any remaining time, attempt to explain why something so clearly manual is called automatic.

Premier Icon bikebouy

Ok,
    First 30’s you could open a laptop, type in your network password 11 times to get the right one.
    Second 30’s find the presentation marked “My Job” in Explorer or the network drive of your company.
    Third 30’s open the presentation up, it’ll freeze or not be recognised obvz, then open the “introduction”
    Forth 30’s open “pictorial demonstration of attitude”

And leave this on the screen whilst you exit stage left..

Premier Icon molgrips

Be sure to use a high pitched girly foreign voice.

French. That lass in the ad was French.

I remember it quite well.

joshvegas

Show everyone what the weird extra two lace holes in a pair of trainers are for.

Butterfly lacing for the win.

sands

andybrad – Member

This went down well (back when a lot of vehicles used optical keys).

Take an optical TV remote – How can you check it?

This illustrates the range of ‘visible light’ 400 – 700 nanometres (nm) within the spectrum.

Optical remote controls e.g TV / DVD / some car keys / HiHi etc use ‘Infra Red*’ which is outside the range of ‘visible light’ (greater than 700nm).

*Infra means: below / lower than

So if you need to check a remote, the human eye cannot see if it is working.

However, if you point the remote at a mobile phone camera, the sensor can detect IR light. When the remote buttons are pressed, it will show on the phone screen as a purpleish light if the remote is working OK.

Show the audience on their own phones – job’s a good un.

Good source of waffle:
    What Wavelength Goes With a Colour?

zeesaffa

I had to do one of these. I went for “How to (try) fry the perfect steak.”

It went down well. Surprised how many people don’t know about getting it close to room temp before cooking or letting it rest.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Show everyone what the weird extra two lace holes in a pair of trainers are for.

TBH, “how to tie shoelaces properly” so that they don’t come undone probably isn’t a bad shout. Most people do it wrongly, it’s natural to tie a granny knot (the same knot twice) rather than a reef knot (left-over-right followed by right-over-left).

It’s easiest to correct by tying the initial knot the other way round against your instincts and then do the bow as normal. You could get a metre of thick rope to demonstrate.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘help, task demonstartion’ is closed to new replies.