Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help, stuck kryptonite evolution mini
  • mattyfez

Looks like the bottom tumbler isn’t quite in line so the key doesn’t go all the way in.. I’ve jiggled it loads but no dice, any ideas?

mattyfez

Bikes currently locked to a railing in town, getting some funny looks!

bencooper
    Free Member

Squirt some oil in. Other than that, angle grinder.

treklee
    Free Member

Put a high via vest on, nobody will question you

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it a proper key or one of those round keys?

My long key occasionally needed jiggling to ensure it was line up

YOU tube suggests liquid nitrogen – aersol might work then hit it with a hammer

Lever attack

Angle grinder

Sorry not much help

Good luck

mattyfez

It’s happened before, looking down the barrel, the bottom cylinder is out of line preventing the key going all the way in, got a mate on route with some wd40 and a skinny screwdriver, so hopefully a good drench and a fiddle and I’ll be able to straighten it.

tenfoot

I used a thin , flat head screwdriver for this when that happened to mine.

Good luck

mattyfez

Sorted.. Wd40 (lots of) and a skinny screwdriver!

Thanks.. Need to keep it lubricated in future!

mattyfez

Can anyone recommend a thin oil to prevent sticking? Figured I’ve got some cheap chain spray lube that might be suitable?

leffeboy

I was going to recommend wd40 as I get the same problem. Didn’t bother to lube it after the wd40 as it seemed ok and didn’t want to add anything else to the mix

mattyfez

Yeh I periodically give it a good soak in wd40 (generally when it starts sticking a bit) and that seems to sort it for a few months.. I was just thinking a proper lubricant might last longer.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I found some Graphite powder in the stores at work the other day, supposed to be better for lubricating locks as it doesn’t attract dust. (It works a treat on our kitchen door lock).

Graphite powder

mattyfez

Interesting.. I’ve heard of graphite, more specifically rubbing a graphite pencil into the grooves on guitar bridges and nuts so the coils on the strings don’t get caught up when tuning.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Silkolene used to do a most excellent graphite spray lube. Kept motorcycle cables running very smooth.

Vader
    Free Member

Had this the other day in the middle of Edinburgh. Couldn’t sort it so me and Miss Vader went back with a cordless grinder! I have never felt so dodgy, walked up to the bikes, 5 seconds of sparks and the bikes were in the back of the van. People were stepping round us on the pavement and for some reason the rozzers were everywhere but nobody batted an eyelid. All too easy and pretty scary, the grinder made almost no noise – there is no way I’d leave anything other than the town bike locked up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help, stuck kryptonite evolution mini’ is closed to new replies.