Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help snapping out of it.
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Is it just me or am i not alone, can look forward all day to going out for a few hour spin off road after tea, load up car drive to said destination set off on ride and after 10 minutes think ..what the **** am I doing here ..and just cant be bothered, fast forward 5 minutes tell myself to stop feeling sorry for myself, lasts 2 minutes then back in the original groove, any tips for snapping out of this and staying out , some nights can ride for hours and want to go further.

druidh
    Free Member

Give it a break? Do something else.

rp16v
    Free Member

take some music allong somthing to get u fired up and motivated.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

This is very much a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) but it sounds like there are deeper issues here than just mountain biking and how you think you should be feeling whilst doing it?

Maybe have a think about stuff and try to address what’s really ‘up’?

If I’m massively off beam, apologies, like I said, just a SWAG.

Berserked
    Free Member

Smoke a joint. :mrgreen:

MikeT-23
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, I get that same feeling at the gym sometimes too.
    A couple of minutes in to a warm-up and think “naaaah, fuk dis, no’ the night”, and wander off to get changed and head home.
    I reckon that sometimes your body/mind tells you to take a wee break from the routine, although it does get harder to get into it again the longer the break goes on.
    Although, in saying that, Roadie made a good guess (albeit a SWAG one). In my experience it does seem that that other issues can cloud the mind, which is ironic given that these activities can help in forgetting such stuff for a while.
    If it’s any comfort, it’s not just you.

ourmaninthenorth

What you’ve actually described is a feeling that whatever you are actually doing, you’d rather be somewhere else (all day at work wanting to ride, get to riding and you want to be on the sofa…).

Anyway, it’s worsened because (a) it’s MTBing, which is Fafftastic and (b) you’re loading your bike in and out of a car in order to ride, which multiplies the Fafftastic quotient by a huge number.

Buy a road bike. Ride from the door.

redted
    Free Member

It sounds like,(though I may be wrong)you are riding alone? What about getting a few others riding with you, or join another group of riders that go out near you? It doesn’t have to be a club especially, just a few folk you can have a bit of banter with?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers for interesting replies, Bit stressed out at work which could be a point ,music good idea but never ride alone always 2 minimum(bit unfair on rest) , sorry not going to start smoking joints at 43 when all my sporting mates who have done, all became to chilled out for sport full stop.As for a road bike , too many dicks on the road in cars spending more time looking at texts than whats in front of them.Like the idea of just leaving the gym and going home, but not easy when you have driven the rest up to the destination an hour from home.Was just hoping there was a magic switch that could be flicked might have to start thinking about what i eat during the day as there is no forward planning on my behalf pre ride.

rp16v
    Free Member

no need to be ignorant just let them no whats gong on (they may be able to help) just ride with one in for some motivation

toys19
    Free Member

Umm can I ask a stooopid Q? Are you riding on your own? Cos I cannot even motivate myself to leave the house for a ride on my own never mind actually go riding..

cynic-al
    Free Member

yup that was a stupid question 😀

Berserked
    Free Member

Its never too late to smoke a joint! In all seriousness I know how you are feeling, Ive felt that way before, especially in the winter end of the year. At the moment I get so little opportunity to get off road(2 small kiddies)that if I get a chance Im out there in a grinning flash…Getting out with others definitely helps for this ‘cant be bothered’ feeling I reckon or maybe some retail therapy..ie some new shiny bike bits! Good luck hope it passes..If all else fails hit your mates up for some maryjane and at least then you wont care either way. :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

Give it a break? Do something else.

+1.

Riding should be something to look forward to, a treat. Not verging on routine.

_tom_
    Free Member

That’s how I’ve felt a few times when going to ride xc, mainly at cannock. Solved by just riding downhill instead since that’s the fun bit anyway 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I get this if I’m faced with riding at Rivington (i.e dont have alot of time) – I basically just can’t face it.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m impressed you get as far as actually riding, I normally just end up bumming around in the house even though I know I’d probably enjoy it once I was out. Riding with mates is always more fun but harder to organise.

Bregante

I recognise this a little in my own riding of late. A recent change of shift hours at work means 90% of the time I’m out on my own instead of riding with my usual group.
    For me I think mountain biking is as much about the social aspect and getting out, taking the pee out of your mates and getting covered in mud whatever the weather. Since my change of hours I just can’t seem to get inspired to get out on my todd.
    A perfect example was yesterday. Lovely cold crisp day with plenty of sunshine so I drove up to Rawtenstall, rode up to cragg quarry and after about 15 mins just found myself bored. Rode back down and buggered off home and spent the afternoon eating, then I felt guilty about “wasting” a day off.

toys19
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

yup that was a stupid question

blow me ..

gcubed
    Free Member

Forget loading the bike up and driving to the trail centre ( I presume you are going to your nearest centre ) Find a route that you can go from home , make it into a simple blast , no faffing about , just go. I find riding alone in early morning before or to work sets me up for the day , riding alone isn’t strange , it helps you clear the head of all the crap. You might find that if you drive to work then drive to the trail then drive back its just too much hassle. Recently I spent a great 4 hrs one Sunday, bike was in the van ready to head down to Mabie but then I decided to head out to see what I could find , found parts of my local area I never knew about. I know the feeling you mention , might be something underlying , or even feeling guilty about going riding instead of dealing with whatever the issue is . Seriously , get out in the morning ,crisp clear frosty ones are best , go for a blast on your own then you have the mindset and the time to sort out any issues if there are any . Hope this helps.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help snapping out of it.’ is closed to new replies.